U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM

30,774 posts, read 36,244,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconis View Post
You will develope a sense for when people are going to cut you off and be prepared for it. Also, you will also get a feel for how much space to leave between yourself and the person in front of you. Unfortunately, you will get used to it. On the bright side, you will sharpen your own driving skills because of it.

I currently live in NC and would take the MD drivers any day. People here don't use their turn signals and the majority of them tailgate. Last week we had two multi car pileups because of the wet roads and trailgaters.
I think a lot of them are transplants from the Hell have no mercy drivers from Jersey, New York, Maryland etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM

30,774 posts, read 36,244,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Florida does have some pretty aggresive drivers. I was driving from Jacksonville to Orlando sometime last year, and these group of guys driving 3 or 4 Dodge Vipers came up behind me at over 100mph. I was in the left lane and before I could put on my indicator to go over one of them was about to rear end me. When I did put my indicator on to change lanes as was in the process of changing, the guy decided he couldn't wait and overtook me on the right. I had to swerve to avoid hitting him. You couldn't imagine how pleased (and very surprised) I was to see a unmarked cop in a Charger apporoching us from behind. Of course he turned his sirens on and got two of the cars (the others had long gone).
Florida= Another hot bed of transplants and tourists from you know where!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 AM

40 posts, read 246,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taconis View Post
You will develope a sense for when people are going to cut you off and be prepared for it. Also, you will also get a feel for how much space to leave between yourself and the person in front of you. Unfortunately, you will get used to it. On the bright side, you will sharpen your own driving skills because of it.
So true!

Here is my most extreme "distracted driver" story I have collected thus far while living in the DC metro: I remember seeing a new Cadillac on the beltway (happened to be the Virginia side) swerving wildly from side to side in its lane. So one would think this driver is likely to be A.) Drunk or B.) Talking/texting on a cell phone or C.) Reading a book . . .

No actually while passing the Cadillac (this was at twilight) I could distinctly see that the driver was TYPING ON THEIR FULL-SIZE LAPTOP!!! I could see the light coming from the screen and the typing going on! Crazy!

Best "justice being served" moment: seeing an aggressive driver actually cut off a POLICE CAR in the middle of an intersection and then be pulled over by the same police car . . . priceless!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM

298 posts, read 915,473 times
I had to dig this thread back up so I could vent my frustration from the last few mornings. When you are first in line in the left turning lane and have the green light (but no arrow) what do you do? In driver's ed I was taught to inch up into the intersection (with wheels straight, not turned to avoid a collision into oncoming traffic if I get hit from behind) and wait for a lull in oncoming traffic to be able to turn left. If there is no lull and your light turns yellow, wait for the oncoming traffic to slow for their yellow or stop and then proceed turning left. I have seen people backup into their original left lane! And then I get the people who are afraid to even get into the intersection and wait three lights until they have enough room to make the complete left turn. Where do these people learn to drive?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 AM

27 posts, read 102,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
Where do these people learn to drive?
My theory is - Maryland.

I do not pull out into the intersection, because the few intersections that I have to go through like that in Maryland... the other drivers WILL hit you. Since I am 6 months pregnant, I would really like to avoid that at all costs.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 AM

789 posts, read 2,327,276 times
Driving in Maryland is a breeze.

Try driving downtown NYC especially around Chinatown at rush hour.
Try driving in SFL on I95 on very hot evening rush hour.
Try driving in Boston.
Try driving in a Caribbean Island..

And then come back and compare MD. Whoever complains about MD driving must be a ......

Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM

339 posts, read 1,407,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
If there is no lull and your light turns yellow, wait for the oncoming traffic to slow for their yellow or stop and then proceed turning left

And then I get the people who are afraid to even get into the intersection and wait three lights until they have enough room to make the complete left turn. Where do these people learn to drive?
Could be that those waiting for enough room to make complete left turns are driving defensively because in MD not everyone slows at yellow or comes to a stop on yellow or red. As a couple other posts have pointed out, at some intersections, even when the light turns green, there are still 1 or 2 cars crossing on red.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM

130 posts, read 330,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post

Try driving in Boston.

And then come back and compare MD. Whoever complains about MD driving must be a ......
Tonyc: concur. I'm guessing those "frightened" by MD driving....are the same ones doing 45-50 mph in the left lane on the area highways

Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM

83 posts, read 207,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker16 View Post
Tonyc: concur. I'm guessing those "frightened" by MD driving....are the same ones doing 45-50 mph in the left lane on the area highways
+1
Try driving here in California if you're driving speed limit on a fast lane...some will honk and high beam until you move over...

Last edited by cksean; 11-06-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,361,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post

Try driving in Boston.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker16 View Post
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland