U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:06 PM

102 posts, read 280,367 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Westchester, NY for 7 years, I recently moved to Howard County. Well, I'm scared of driving here. My office is in Balto, so I take 32 and 95. Drivers seem more aggressive and reckless than NY drivers. They change lanes a lot and speed like maniacs. Even on local roads I observe the same behavior. The worst is 95.

I had driven very frequently on interstate highways in the NY, NJ, CT areas and to and from Manhattan. And I had never felt scared of driving there.

Do I feel this way because I'm not familiar with MD traffic conditions? Or, are MD drivers generally considered terrible? I don't mean to offend MD drivers at all. I just want to know if my observation is correct.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 PM

196 posts, read 734,553 times
Don't worry, you'll get used to us. Actually, I live in Carroll county, so when I drive through Howard/MoCo it can be a bit of a shock, and that's not even at rush hour. But other times, it's no different at all. I am surprised a little bit though, I had always heard Jersey drivers were the woist... the woist, Jerry! Anyway, welcome to Maryland.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 103,060 times
Jerry -
You are not alone. We moved here in May and I refuse to leave the house unless I absolutely have to because the drivers here scare the bejeezus out of me. I moved from Virginia, and we don't exactly have the best drivers in the world either. I think part of it is unfamiliarity and the fact that the drivers here are quite rude and aggressive.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,022,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
Having lived in Westchester, NY for 7 years, I recently moved to Howard County. Well, I'm scared of driving here. My office is in Balto, so I take 32 and 95. Drivers seem more aggressive and reckless than NY drivers. They change lanes a lot and speed like maniacs. Even on local roads I observe the same behavior. The worst is 95.
There would be no need for fast drivers to zig zag if the slow drivers stayed to the right. I was taught to use the left lane for passing, but many drivers seem to think its their right to block cars from passing on the left.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 280,367 times
I wasn't talking about fast drivers who had to zigzag to pass slow drivers. I was talking about drivers who were zigzagging to pass others driving at 75 mph on I-95. Well, if 75 is considered slow in MD......

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 28,543 times
You have drivers from the states of top 4 most expensive auto insurance rates driving around here.
III - Auto Insurance
Drivers from NY, NJ and DC relocated to Maryland. No offense but I lived in NJ for a year, NJ Turnpike traffic is not better than 95... that's 7 years ago.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 PM

919 posts, read 2,345,841 times
I thought that MD drivers were definitely on the aggressive side but I have no complaints after moving to FL... I would take aggressive over incompetent any day... We get all the worst drivers down here because FL is even more transient than MD... I never thought that driving in MD was that bad... Keep your foot in it on the beltway and drive defensively and you should be good...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,564,852 times
The key to driving in metro Maryland is knowing what you are doing. In places with less cars and more time drivers can get away with driving slow in the left lane, or not knowing who as right-of-way at an intersection, or spotting your exit late and braking and shifting 2 lanes over, etc. Not in Maryland. Lots of people need to get somewhere fast. My experience is that it isn't the car going 85mph on I-95 that is the danger, it is car going 55mph when everyone else is going 70mph.

My best advice is to create space for yourself. Sometimes that means going faster than the speed limit, sometimes it means having to stay in a left, right or middle lane longer than you want.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM

48 posts, read 145,746 times
You will develope a sense for when people are going to cut you off and be prepared for it. Also, you will also get a feel for how much space to leave between yourself and the person in front of you. Unfortunately, you will get used to it. On the bright side, you will sharpen your own driving skills because of it.

I currently live in NC and would take the MD drivers any day. People here don't use their turn signals and the majority of them tailgate. Last week we had two multi car pileups because of the wet roads and trailgaters.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM

13 posts, read 17,851 times
I moved from Long Island to Baltimore Area. I've noticed the same thing. Baltimore Area seems to be polluted with assriders.

I don't understand how an area can be full of people who thinks its ok to drive this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland