U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 AM

332 posts, read 1,166,727 times

Advertisements

What does better boosters mean? Can parents give money to the school and help fund that school system? Do the schools have level funding? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 PM

51 posts, read 65,803 times
Default COlumbia

Great post ILOVEMARYLAND! I too grew up in Columbia from about 1979 to 1992..and like you I can remember when we rode bikes everywhere and played kickball in the streets..I now live in Jacksonville, FL, and would love to bring my family back up that way to experience growing up as we did. But as someone else commented, this board has Columbia seeming like a 3rd world country! I mean really how bad is the crime? I And is there a Honda Dealer there? Right before I left they had just built the Apple ford dealer over by Guildford where I used to live.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 AM

I did not grow up in Columbia, but I grew up in a planned community and we left our bikes out and rode our bikes across town, played kicked the can at night and walked to tennis courts, swimming pools and playgrounds. I would not do that in my neighborhood now not because crime is that much worst, I think times have changed and for the most part those days are gone only because there are crazy who prowled the neighborhoods looking for kids even in affluent, relatively crime free neighborhoods. Also, kids used to have pick-up games of soccer, baseball, football, anything, now everything is organized and chorographed. I think things are just different, just as your parents probably thought they were different for them.

Having said that I do see kids walking to the parking and riding their bikes in Columbia, today.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
I did not grow up in Columbia, but I grew up in a planned community and we left our bikes out and rode our bikes across town, played kicked the can at night and walked to tennis courts, swimming pools and playgrounds. I would not do that in my neighborhood now not because crime is that much worst, I think times have changed and for the most part those days are gone only because there are crazy who prowled the neighborhoods looking for kids even in affluent, relatively crime free neighborhoods. Also, kids used to have pick-up games of soccer, baseball, football, anything, now everything is organized and chorographed. I think things are just different, just as your parents probably thought they were different for them.

Having said that I do see kids walking to the parking and riding their bikes in Columbia, today.

Do you live in Columbia now? even when I grew up there, we had some rough spots...Long Reach, Guilford Gardens, Rideout Heath, etc..and I was robbed there too...at gun point! They took my triple fat goose But even with all that..i mean the kids man..we stuck together no matter what! It was like we were all on a mission to just do stuff...every day, get into something..nowadays with the video games...i know its different, but Columbia..sigh..

Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM

another thing about Columbia..virtually no murders..in the time I lived there..we had stabbings, and robbings, stuff like that, but if someone got killed it was like a major deal...over all my friends that are still there say it is very safe..and since they grew up with me there, and they are still there, I believe it to be very safe, and a great place to raise your kids, just do me a favor...talk to the kids and the parents..they actually care about getting the kids involved in stuff..thats what I remember most, we grew up without a car until I was like 15..and the other parents always made sure I had a ride! And the Columbia Association is the best...I have so many fond memories of the soccer leagues, Lake Kittamaqundi, the bike trails, which to this day are still safe! You can get around most of the city without ever leaving natures path! legendary!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Dealmaker74 where do you live now?

I live in the Dorsey Search area, and I have not had any problems, I also go over to the Harpers Choice Village Center area and I have not had any problems. I have driven thru Long Reach on my way to other places but I have not heard good things about Long Reach.

Like I said, I often wonder if things are really bad or if a lot of it is perception. I see young people hanging out a Rita's in the Village Centers in several neighborhoods but I have not been concerned for my safety in any of them but I mainly travel during the daytime.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Right now Smokeylisa I live in Jacksonville, FL..I am currently doing my research to move back up north...Dont worry, Columbia is a great place for you and your family...the kids that you see hanging are nothing more than neighborhood kids...The stigma that is attached to the crime in the town is from people like me that grew up there and remember a time when that it was less populated, but the fact that it was a planned community that FOCUSED hard on equal treatment to all races, I think that means alot! So of course when you have blacks, whites, mexicans, asians, etc,..all mixing, and all getting along, people wanted to move there! and being so close to Baltimore, and Washington DC of course your gonna have some riff raff, but remember..people move to Columbia to make a better lifestyle for their kids, for the most part its pretty boring for us adults!

I wish I could tell you more about the areas you mentioned, but Im not real sure, I can tell you that when I moved from there around 93, I had lived in Clarys Forest (nice area) Off of Woodblock row and Standon Place (Stevens Forest) I loved that area the most. Running Brook..that was kinda ghetto, but really if you get them involved with sports (Soccer and basketball is huge) That should get them with the proper crowd, and keep them there as they grow..and of course get a bike and ride the trails down to the lake, and make sure you stop at the streams on the bridges..trust me..they wont forget growing up in Columbia, MD.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 PM

586 posts, read 1,190,392 times
Harper's Choice is as close as it gets to "ghetto" in Columbia, but that's not saying much. A huge percentage of Columbia's Section 8 housing exists in Harper's Choice mostly along Harper's Farm Road and Cedar Lane going towards the hospital. These developments are Fall River Terrace off of Eliott's Oak road and Harper's Farm, the Harper House off of Cedar Lane and Harper's Farm road and Waverly Winds off of Cedar Lane closer to Howard Community College. The Section 8 developments are some of the oldest buildings in Columbia dating back to the 70's. The rest of the neighborhood consists of apartments, older rowhome style developments off of Eliots Oak road, sleepy streets lined with tidy sizable single family homes and pricy newer McMansions in the outskirts in Hobbit's Glenn and off of 108. Paved bike/walking paths zig zag through Cedar Lane park and throughout wooded areas in the neighborhood. A large percent of Columbia's black population resides in Harper's Choice along with Wilde Lake, Oakland Mills, Long Reach and Owen Brown. Harper's Choice is definitely one of Columbia's most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods.

Harper's Choice Village Center is full of loitering locals young and old who like to get drunk all day and hang around the liquor store and the Zapata's restaurant bar. But even the seemingly sketchy village center is a generally safe area. Even though Harper's Choice crime is moderately high by Columbia's standards, crime there is very much below state and national averages. The loitering riff raff at Harper's Choice remind me of the characters from Columbia native Aaron Mcgruder's hit comic strip/TV show The Boondocks. Most of them are long-time Columbia residents transplanted from Baltimore city or elsewhere desperately trying to keep it real in the safety of affluent suburbia. It's almost refreshing to see such a lack of pretension in a city and county that can sometimes border DC area pretentiousness.

But even though Harper's Choice is generally safe and safer than most places in Maryland, bad stuff still goes down occasionally in the neighborhood. In the past, robberies have been somewhat common in the area near Howard County General hospital, mostly within close proximity to the Section 8 development of Waverly Winds off of Cedar Lane. But the village center is generally where the sometimes unpredictable wacky characters congregate. Just a few weeks ago, one of the loitering characters from the village center shot someone in the neck in an armed robbery at the village center gas station:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-in...umbia/28381994

But this was an isolated incident that is not common around these parts. Although not everything that happens in Harper's Choice makes the news. I was in the Zapata's bar one night last year and someone got shot right outside of the bar. The victim did not die. The perpetrators of the shooting were visiting from Baltimore city. The Zapata's bar in the village center can also be shady and described as seedy as with any dive bar. After hours, the bar is usually packed with a mix of local riff raff and older folks playing loud top 40 Rap and R&B. Local MS-13 members living in the apartments surrounding the village center are known to meet up at the restaurant bar and this has been documented by authorities in the past. But unlike nearby Montgomery and PG counties and Northern Virginia, MS-13 is largely inactive in Columbia and Howard County. MS-13 and 18th Street maintain a low profile in Columbia and aren't contributing to Harper's Choice's low crime rate.

All in all, people in Harper's Choice and Columbia in general know that it's a prestigious suburb and you don't have the crazy crime that you have in nearby places like Baltimore City and inner beltway PG County or DC. Choose civility really is a way of life in Howard County. Also, Columbia is one of the only truly racially and economically integrated places in Maryland.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-24-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,241 times
Hello everyone,

I am a late newcomer to the Columbia party! My husband and I have recently moved to Columbia from Seattle. We are looking to buy property that is attached to Running Brook elementary and Wilde Lake for middle and high schools. None of them are scoring very high for Columbia. But they are better than schools in the city or even some schools in Baltimore county. Are there any parents whose kids go to those schools? What are your impressions? What is your input on any of these schools?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 PM

222 posts, read 191,911 times
On national average, Wilde Lake is still considered a decent school. It by no means is anywhere close to as bad as a baltimore city school. It may not score as high as schools near river hill but they are still in the howard county school system (one of the better school systems in the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland