Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

32 posts, read 121,440 times

Advertisements

Well I was orginally going to be transferred to a job in Denver however I might be transferred to a job in Woodlawn MD (Baltimore County). I'm a single black female with two small dogs and really need some advice on a few things. I'd be moving there alone without knowing anyone so I'm a bit freaked out.

First I love diversity so I'm looking for a place that is nicely diverse but not terribly too far from work?

Second I'm always concerned about crime and these are areas I want to avoid. Sure no area is crime free but there are areas you can avoid

Third is cost. It seems like apartment rentals are twice that of Atlanta. Here you can get a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a nice safe area around $800 to $900 but from what I'm seeing, that rentals in MD are usually around $1500.00!! Yikes!! My annual salary will be around $60,000 and I would need a two bedroom apartment.

Speaking of rentals are there a lot townhome style, dog friendly apartments?

Fourth, I'm not used to driving on snow so how are the road conditions during this time? I'm assuming the city doesn't shut down like Atlanta does when it snows. Any advice for a newcomer who isn't used to driving on snow?

Fifth, I'm not really an interstate driver (long story), so can you get around solemly using backroads?

Sixth how are race relations? I've done a lot of interracial dating, so are people receptive to it? The reason I ask is because down here in the south we have a looooooong way to go. I've been reading some mixed reviews about race relations in MD so I can't seem to get a clear picture on things so please help!

Seventh, Is Woodlawn in Baltimore County not a great place to live. It seems cheaper but you know how that goes....you get what you pay for.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any information

Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,613 times
I think I know where you will be working. Try Columbia Md and yes the cost of living is quite high here. I would not recommend Woodlawn due to some noise, and crime issues. It is kinda like the not so good part of ATL.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Don't go to Columbia. Look more north from Woodlawn.

I work in Woodlawn, as does my wife (though she doesn't work for who you might think she does... there's a LOT of businesses here), and we live in Pikesville. Never drive on the beltway to commute, as there are a LOT of secondary roads to choose from. Lots of choices to live in, too, from Pikesville, to Randallstown, to Eldersburg, to Windsor Mill... Crime isn't bad, not that much snow in the winter, cheap living for MD.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Brighteyes you sound cute I can be your friend but yea Im from PG County, MD but Baltimore Co. isnt anything like the city...matter fact it is the black area of Balt Co. nothing like P.G but you may as well live around there maybe owings mills.....But dont "lunch" being as though your from the Atl and Dekalb county is the 2nd affluent African-American County..Pg is the leading dont forget to make your way down 95 south to kick it with your folks.....Bmore is more northern PG/DC is more southern so I think you would feel more at home in PG/D.C area but woodlawn is straight just slower paced

Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
I think I know where you will be working. Try Columbia Md and yes the cost of living is quite high here. I would not recommend Woodlawn due to some noise, and crime issues. It is kinda like the not so good part of ATL.
Comparison?
Woodlawn - ATL Airport area inside the parameter.

Columbia in Howard County used to be like Alpharetta. I notice a poster said no to Columbia. Has it changed?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
1.) You probably don't want to live in Woodlawn, there is nothing there except work, there is a bit of crime primarily after dark, an okay area to work in, not so great to live in.
2.) Maryland in general is pricey, rent, utilities, you name it. Check out Columbia, Owings Mills, Pikesville, Ellicott City--all are diverse, however Baltimore County (Owings Mills, Pikesville) are a bit cheaper than Howard County (Ellicott City and Columbia). I know that Owings Mills has 2 bedroom apartments around $1000.00 monthly that are pet friendly. All these areas are within 20 minutes of Woodlawn.
3. Snow--you get maybe 2 -3 snows a year that really impact traffic, some years none, other years one to two BIG snows, most years--a couple inches a few times. Main roads are usually cleared right away, secondary roads can take a few days to get clear. It's really not a big deal, stay home, go in late a few days when it's heavy, it is usually gone pretty quickly.
4. The highways here are horrible; 695 (Baltimore Beltway) is way outdated and cannot handle the traffic flow but, coming from Atlanta you might not think it's so bad. I come to work at 6am to avoid the traffic. Most suburbs do have backroads to Woodlawn although if you choose Columbia its easier to take 29 to 70 to Woodlawn.
5. Race Relations--better than a lot of places but less than ideal. I have plenty of friends who date interracially and they don't seem to experiece any blatant racist attitudes but I don't know about more subtle experiences. Baltimore has always had a large black population, similar to Atlanta. It you go out in and around the city, you see plenty of interracial couples and it's not a big deal. I think Baltimore is probably a little more progressive than Atlanta in this regard. When I'm in Atlanta, it still "feels" like black and white cultures are kept very separate. Might just be my limited time there though.

Best of luck in your search. I have several friends who have relocated here from Atlanta and all seem to like it here okay. Baltimore does feel like a small town compared to Atlanta in many ways though (not necessarily a good thing!)

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
1.) You probably don't want to live in Woodlawn, there is nothing there except work, there is a bit of crime primarily after dark, an okay area to work in, not so great to live in.
2.) Maryland in general is pricey, rent, utilities, you name it. Check out Columbia, Owings Mills, Pikesville, Ellicott City--all are diverse, however Baltimore County (Owings Mills, Pikesville) are a bit cheaper than Howard County (Ellicott City and Columbia). I know that Owings Mills has 2 bedroom apartments around $1000.00 monthly that are pet friendly. All these areas are within 20 minutes of Woodlawn.
3. Snow--you get maybe 2 -3 snows a year that really impact traffic, some years none, other years one to two BIG snows, most years--a couple inches a few times. Main roads are usually cleared right away, secondary roads can take a few days to get clear. It's really not a big deal, stay home, go in late a few days when it's heavy, it is usually gone pretty quickly.
4. The highways here are horrible; 695 (Baltimore Beltway) is way outdated and cannot handle the traffic flow but, coming from Atlanta you might not think it's so bad. I come to work at 6am to avoid the traffic. Most suburbs do have backroads to Woodlawn although if you choose Columbia its easier to take 29 to 70 to Woodlawn.
5. Race Relations--better than a lot of places but less than ideal. I have plenty of friends who date interracially and they don't seem to experiece any blatant racist attitudes but I don't know about more subtle experiences. Baltimore has always had a large black population, similar to Atlanta. It you go out in and around the city, you see plenty of interracial couples and it's not a big deal. I think Baltimore is probably a little more progressive than Atlanta in this regard. When I'm in Atlanta, it still "feels" like black and white cultures are kept very separate. Might just be my limited time there though.

Best of luck in your search. I have several friends who have relocated here from Atlanta and all seem to like it here okay. Baltimore does feel like a small town compared to Atlanta in many ways though (not necessarily a good thing!)
Baltimore feels like a Small town compared to NYC but to say that B'more feels smaller than Atlanta you are Really Stretching it........

Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 AM

10 posts, read 24,415 times
Great advice, and presented great as well. I don't want to seem intrusive...but I just got done posting a new thread similar to the one you responded to when you replied to Brighteyes.
Would you see fit to offering a bit more advice?

Thank you Darryl.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
I can offer my opinions, subjective as they are!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
Since you are moving from Atlanta i would look at Prince Georges County which is the wealthiest Black county in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland