Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM

83 posts, read 306,935 times

Advertisements

My husband is on a mission to find a new job due to the base he works at is closing under BRAC. He has a good chance of getting to APG. We are unfamiliar with Maryland and I have read some threads about Harford (particularly Bel Air) and Cecil (some not-so-good things) counties. My brother in law lives in West Chester PA, and loves it, but that seems quite a distance. I realize Chester county goes to the southern border of PA though, and that may be an option. If anyone has any good or bad info regarding any of the above areas, we'd truly appreciated it! We have 3 kids, one of which will be in middle school, one in elementary and one not yet in preschool. I am a nurse, so areas near decent hospitals would be a plus as well! We do not want to be house poor and would prefer to stay under the $400k mark if possible, with a decent bit of land/space .
Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
This was easy.

Don't want to be house poor? Chester County, PA. Housing is cheaper in PA.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM

83 posts, read 306,935 times
Thanks, we are both leaning that way! Definitely need to make a trip up! Any towns suggested?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
As close to the border as possible.

While it may be only 25 miles to the border, the time is doubled due to lack of interstates from APG going to Chester County, PA. The I-95 goes east. You want north.

Towns? I have visited Oxford, PA many times. It seems like a quaint town.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM

78 posts, read 309,437 times
Chester County is very nice. But the commute could be trying, as mentioned. I live in North East. There is an exceptional private school here - the Tome School - very highly regarded. I don't personally know anything about the public schools. I don't hear either good or bad actually. Cecil County is rapidly growing and North east has lots of eateries and a great little main street downtown with galleries and a waterfront park. I think it's very possible to find something in your budget. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 PM

377 posts, read 1,114,631 times
I would suggest De. off Rt. 40. Good commute, great schools, and awesome taxes. We are with Brac and just moved to De.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 PM

87 posts, read 333,534 times
There is a hospital in Havre de Grace (closer from Cecil County) and in Bel Air. I can't really comment on Chester County. You might want to take that drive up and down during commute times and see if it is something you are willing to deal with especially in winter.
Cecil County will not make you house-poor if you have 400k to spend. There are nice new homes for well under 400k. Either way, good luck to you and welcome to the area!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM

234 posts, read 295,791 times
Default if you need a great pa realtor

i know a great pa realtor been doing real estate many years. i send many to her. She's great and knowledgeable on different types of financing. pm me if you need more info
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene70 View Post
Thanks, we are both leaning that way! Definitely need to make a trip up! Any towns suggested?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM

67 posts, read 205,990 times
Chester County would be a pain for commuting and there are a number of tolls ($2 Susquehanna river and $7 along 95), but housing prices are very good, and PA has no income tax on Military retirement (if that matters).
Cecil county and Harford County are both pretty good in most respects, I would not rule them out without close inspection. Crime is low (with exceptions in some limited areas), housing decently priced, and school districts above average.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 83,786 times
You can get a bridge pass for $10 a yearfor the Rt. 40 bridge, which is what most commuters get. Going into DE there's a toll for North/South bound, but I'm not sure of the prices on that. Normally you can take 896 South to Rt. 40 and bypass that toll.

West Chester is too far, and Bel Air is a bit more expensive when you are looking for land and under $400K. I would try Cecil County as things are a bit cheaper, and you have more options for houses with a little land. I live in North East, and it's a nice area, plus it's not as congested and built up as say Bel Air is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland