U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,840 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be working in Chantilly VA, and my signifigant other will be working at Ft. Meade, MD. We are looking to live in a place that is between the two, with no more than a 30-45 minute (average) commute to either place. As this is a fairly wide swath of land, we'd prefer something a bit rural. We don't want a big city environment if we can avoid it--we'd prefer something in/near an open or wooded area.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
 
789 posts, read 2,333,108 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoriaan View Post
Hello,

I will be working in Chantilly VA, and my signifigant other will be working at Ft. Meade, MD. We are looking to live in a place that is between the two, with no more than a 30-45 minute (average) commute to either place. As this is a fairly wide swath of land, we'd prefer something a bit rural. We don't want a big city environment if we can avoid it--we'd prefer something in/near an open or wooded area.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

M.
Hmm...a place between the two, with avg 45 mins, a bit rural..

Man that's a tough one. Silver Spring looks to be in the middle, but no where 40 mins to Chantilly in rush hour, and definetley not rural.

It be interesting to see what folks come up with - I have no idea.

Ah..rural - you could live in Frederick, Urbana, Clarksburg and take the backroads to Chantilly and 70 to get over to Ft. Meade - but it be over an hour. Actually coming to think of it I commuted from Gaithersburg to Chantilly for 3 years (65miles) and it wasn't too bad. So that may be an option too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
 
Location: South Florida
165 posts, read 517,595 times
Reputation: 105
Default Agree that this is tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Hmm...a place between the two, with avg 45 mins, a bit rural..

Man that's a tough one. Silver Spring looks to be in the middle, but no where 40 mins to Chantilly in rush hour, and definetley not rural.

It be interesting to see what folks come up with - I have no idea.

Ah..rural - you could live in Frederick, Urbana, Clarksburg and take the backroads to Chantilly and 70 to get over to Ft. Meade - but it be over an hour. Actually coming to think of it I commuted from Gaithersburg to Chantilly for 3 years (65miles) and it wasn't too bad. So that may be an option too.
The problem here is the desire for "a bit rural" and 45 minute commute either way--unfortunately what's in the middle of these two areas is very densely populated. There's over 50 miles between these two points--in the middle is 25 miles and I'd be flat lying if I told you that you could drive 25 miles in rush hour traffic in 45 minutes.

From the middle you can't go south of 495 b/c that takes you closer to D.C. so you have to go north which brings us to places like Olney, Brookesville, Laytonsville and maybe Burtonsville/Cloverly which are more rural, but you won't be commuting to Chantilly in 45 minutes.

Maybe something a little more suburban?

C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 PM
 
1,609 posts, read 3,022,980 times
Reputation: 1213
This is a tough one. Perhaps Brandywine, MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
150 posts, read 552,083 times
Reputation: 44
I would suggest looking around Forest Glenn, Outer Silver Spring, Sligo Creek, or Takoma Park. These are wooded and quiet neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,682 times
Reputation: 15
Wow I am on the exact same boat.... Where was the end result? My chief said Arlington but that wasn't even mentioned here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
12,177 posts, read 21,579,277 times
Reputation: 18363
Well - OP was 4 yrs. ago - and I honestly don't think there is a place that would only have a 30-45 min. commute during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Newark, DE
201 posts, read 364,117 times
Reputation: 162
Silver Spring?! It used to take me two hours to drive from Chantilly to Silver Spring during evening rush hour, and that was fifteen years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
11,950 posts, read 6,766,652 times
Reputation: 19166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
Silver Spring?! It used to take me two hours to drive from Chantilly to Silver Spring during evening rush hour, and that was fifteen years ago.

Chantilly to SS in the morning is a lot different than SS to Chantilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top