U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:21 AM

903 posts, read 3,378,144 times

Advertisements

I can't fathom how people are so hung up on which county is the richest. I think only Maryland does this.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 100,396 times
@Film Sniffer..I am relocating tp Md and honestly I was concerned about some things as far as the financial status of the place where I am cfhoosing to bring my family to asure the schools were up to par, crime is low and over all the people care about the community as a whole..but the richest didn't matter to me..THEN I GOT E-MAILS ONCE I JOINED WITH ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF...SOOOO...that made me dig bc this was coming from folks that actually live in this daily..and it made me pay more attention to a lot of the posts..so it's one of those things where u went in with one outlook and bc of others outlooks I wanted to do my own homework on the issue..since that was my first option PG COUNTY..I* don't take my lifestyle lightly bc I do have male children and down south it is not the best for blacfk male kids..so a lot of things matter to me that would not matter to others..

@Raisedwell..let me nip this in the bud..I did not mean to offend you in anyway..that is not my purpose..but direct and outspoken I am. I

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM

39 posts, read 159,945 times
For all the people who asked the point of this post, maybe the OP wanted to have a discussion about the county or just vent about it, and then others would naturally converse about it at their choice.. I mean, makes sense to me...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,980,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTVFreak View Post
For all the people who asked the point of this post, maybe the OP wanted to have a discussion about the county or just vent about it, and then others would naturally converse about it at their choice.. I mean, makes sense to me...
And that's fine. I think part of the conversation is people expressing their opinion that the subject matter is questionable and done to death. I personally was turned off by the "hood rich" comment. Someone with a nice house and pool and luxury car is not necessarily hood rich. And why begrudge them of their "finery," It's just things, and while someone is always doing worse, someone also is always doing better. We worry about the darndest things. Millionaire investors doing shady deals, mortgage scammers, fraudulent CEOs, all have or had "finery." We don't worry about that. People live in Potomac in fancy homes, whether they can truly afford them or not (does anyone really know but the people living the lifestyle?). We don't worry about that; we automatically give them validity -- I suppose just because the schools are good and crime is lower.

But PG County ... the big homes, the cars, the bling-bling -- all of it must be owned by the hood rich, yes? The residents must have "hood rich values." The affluent are mostly going to send their kids to private school and not waste time fighting for the public school to step up its game. So the schools don't improve. But that must be because we're all "hood rich," right? Wrong. That's flawed logic.

I'm not anywhere near anyone's pocket or bank account. I don't know what they have. I don't know if they are profiling. I don't particularly care. I suppose there may be people who have the lifestyle and are "keeping it real" because they don't want to be bourgie. That's flawed logic also, but also a different topic. However, there are others who are doing their best to provide for their families, and they want a nice life. And they can do without the judgment.

Last edited by bowian; 08-31-2009 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,064,996 times
May I ask where in Charlotte you are relocating from? Thank you and have a great day...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 PM

331 posts, read 1,099,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabizniswmn View Post
@Film Sniffer..I am relocating tp Md and honestly I was concerned about some things as far as the financial status of the place where I am cfhoosing to bring my family to asure the schools were up to par, crime is low and over all the people care about the community as a whole..but the richest didn't matter to me..THEN I GOT E-MAILS ONCE I JOINED WITH ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF...SOOOO...that made me dig bc this was coming from folks that actually live in this daily..and it made me pay more attention to a lot of the posts..so it's one of those things where u went in with one outlook and bc of others outlooks I wanted to do my own homework on the issue..since that was my first option PG COUNTY..I* don't take my lifestyle lightly bc I do have male children and down south it is not the best for blacfk male kids..so a lot of things matter to me that would not matter to others..

@Raisedwell..let me nip this in the bud..I did not mean to offend you in anyway..that is not my purpose..but direct and outspoken I am. I
Maybe you need to chill with that "direct and outspoken" position, especially when you don't know all the facts.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 PM

331 posts, read 1,099,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
But PG County ... the big homes, the cars, the bling-bling -- all of it must be owned by the hood rich, yes? The residents must have "hood rich values." The affluent are mostly going to send their kids to private school and not waste time fighting for the public school to step up its game. So the schools don't improve.
The bolded above is what's wrong with this county. Why would you live here in your over-sized mcmansion, pay taxes, and send your child to a private school. I'm a school teacher and I would love to see more active, involved and committed parents who aren't afraid to fight for a change.

The thing people seem to forget is that this county has a very large population of people who are of lower socio-economic status than many. Those children have to be educated too. They can't help where they come from. These are the children who arrive in our classrooms daily with all sorts of problems. These are the children who disrupt the learning environment and take away time from the others. I spend a lot of my instructional time nurturing, correcting, loving rather than teaching. You people come on here in this forum and complain about the schools, VOLUNTEER SOME TIME AND MENTOR, GIVE BACK!!! (Yes, I'm shouting, because I'm tired of the complaints). I'm in the trenches EVERYDAY!!!
Spend some time in the schools and see what we go through.

I don't desire to live in an over-sized house and drive an expensive car. I COULD choose to do something else with my life because I have the education. I choose INSTEAD to make a difference and it's threads like this I'm sick of.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,980,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
The bolded above is what's wrong with this county. Why would you live here in your over-sized mcmansion, pay taxes, and send your child to a private school. I'm a school teacher and I would love to see more active, involved and committed parents who aren't afraid to fight for a change.
I agree with you there to a certain extent. There's not enough outrage, to be honest. I don't think many parents are afraid to fight; I think they don't believe they will be successful because of the way the school system is set up. They don't want to take that chance with their children and fight for years (because in a struggling school, it will take years for improvement).

Both of my kids are in public schools. One was about to be sent to private, because in the school she attended last year, my concerns about her seemed to fall on deaf ears. She needed a different setting. She's in a different public school, and already I see that she's happier. My son is now at her old school, and so far, so good. As I have mentioned, he is in special ed, and he's also TAG, so that provides for some additional accountability. Not all the public schools are equal, nor are all teachers and administrators equal. I don't mind at all fighting for my kids. But if I can find an environment where they will thrive without me having to constantly come up to the school, well I am going to choose the best environment that I can.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,379,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I can't fathom how people are so hung up on which county is the richest. I think only Maryland does this.
Haha, because half the counties in Maryland are among the wealthiest in the country.

To the OP: Howard is not that much wealthier than Montgomery. In fact the wealthiest towns/communities are located in Montgomery. THe only reason MoCo isn't the wealthiest is because they welcome low-income families, which supposedly include illegal immigrants.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 19,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabizniswmn View Post
I read the blogs and i have done months worth of intense research for Maryland being that I am moving there as we speak..ok here are the true facts...

Howard County is the richest county by far and it shows in the schools and lifestyle and mindset of the people..if you want to know the wealth of a place look at the schools..bc this is a future investment and what person would not want to invest in their child's future

Prince George County ..a lot of people take this out of context..PG COUNTY IS THE RICHEST COUNTY WITH AND FOR BLACK PEOPLE...hmmm see this information is not all inclusive it just shows the demographics of the income of one particular race and of course this is important to us as minorities bc for some it gives them hope..but PG COUNTY IS HOOD RICH...in all of the adds it discussed how there is no longer the plantation of the 1800's and fields..but now there are homes,golf courses and swimming pools in those areas..hmmm that is a hood report.and doesn't make me smile bc it is all built on stuff..nothing being stated about awesome schools,community affairs or anything..so maybe the plantation is not there but the mentality still exists..so I really wanted to clear that up...PGC...is the best Hood Rich for us blacks...not knocking it just presenting facts...this is actually one of my options to relocate but Howard is my first choice..and trust me private school is my only option in PG County!! it is time for change..this is soooo sad

HOOD RICH?! Are you KIDDING ME. You obviously don't know anything about PG County. Tour the zip codes 20721, 20722 and 20774 JUST to name a few. Then come back on here and see if it it HOOD RICH. There are PLENTY of Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence in this county and PLENTY of families with a combined income of more than TRIPLE that of the country average. I am SO sick of miseducated and uniformed people spewing information about an area they have no knowledge of. Yes, there are SOME areas that are crime ridden just as there are in HOWARD COUNTY, crime is every where and there's no escaping it. If you rely on the news and statistics to give you all of your information then the information you will receive will be SKEWED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland