U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2lilboys! View Post
HOOD RICH?! Are you KIDDING ME. You obviously don't know anything about PG County. Tour the zip codes 20721, 20722 and 20774 JUST to name a few...
Hey I grew up in 20721 This "hood rich" thing is nonsense if you asked me.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 19,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Hey I grew up in 20721 This "hood rich" thing is nonsense if you asked me.
Census data states that the meduim income for a family in Howard county is $85,422 whereas the medium income for a family in Mitchellville, MD (an area in PG county) is $91,297. So um yeah, clearly someone needs to do some more research. And again, there are parts of PG I wouldn't set foot in but there are also parts of Howard County I wouldn't step foot in either. I'm just trying to get people to see that lumping all of one area into one category leads to inaccurate facts. Pockets of Howard are excellent, pockets aren't. Pockets of PG county are excellent, pockets aren't. That's the way it is across the country.

Last edited by Mommyof2lilboys!; 09-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Added information

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,968,650 times
Quote:
HOOD RICH?! Are you KIDDING ME. You obviously don't know anything about PG County. Tour the zip codes 20721, 20722 and 20774 JUST to name a few. Then come back on here and see if it it HOOD RICH. There are PLENTY of Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence in this county and PLENTY of families with a combined income of more than TRIPLE that of the country average. I am SO sick of miseducated and uniformed people spewing information about an area they have no knowledge of. Yes, there are SOME areas that are crime ridden just as there are in HOWARD COUNTY, crime is every where and there's no escaping it. If you rely on the news and statistics to give you all of your information then the information you will receive will be SKEWED.
ITA. Isn't the Woodmore gated community within 20721? Along with many other nice communities? Woodmore may be "rich" to a great extent, but it isn't "hood rich." And I'll bet the residents there and in other affluent parts of PG don't care that someone thinks they are "hood rich." Even if it is insulting as he!!.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Census data states that the meduim income for a family in Howard county is $85,422 whereas the medium income for a family in Mitchellville, MD (an area in PG county) is $91,297. So um yeah, clearly someone needs to do some more research. And again, there are parts of PG I wouldn't set foot in but there are also parts of Howard County I wouldn't step foot in either. I'm just trying to get people to see that lumping all of one area into one category leads to inaccurate facts. Pockets of Howard are excellent, pockets aren't. Pockets of PG county are excellent, pockets aren't. That's the way it is across the country.
Yeah, I lived in Mitchellville. I know Howard County's (the wealthiest county in Maryland) and Mitchelville's (one of the wealthiest communities in Maryland; Ft Washington is the wealthiest in PG) median income. I also strongly agree with the rest of your post, but I wouldn't equate the bad parts of PG with the "bad" parts of Howard. Out of all the suburban counties (MoCo, Charles, Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Frederick, Baltimore et al) Howard probably has the least number of "bad parts."

I don't get what your saying though. Why do I need to do more research???

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 33,581 times
PG County is a great place to move. I read all this site about PG County and was scared away. I am here over a year and LOVE IT.....and I am picky! MAYBE it is all about the person who moves here instead of the place!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 19,843 times
Quote:
Yeah, I lived in Mitchellville. I know Howard County's (the wealthiest county in Maryland) and Mitchelville's (one of the wealthiest communities in Maryland; Ft Washington is the wealthiest in PG) median income. I also strongly agree with the rest of your post, but I wouldn't equate the bad parts of PG with the "bad" parts of Howard. Out of all the suburban counties (MoCo, Charles, Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Frederick, Baltimore et al) Howard probably has the least number of "bad parts."

I don't get what your saying though. Why do I need to do more research???
I'm guessing you've never been to Columbia, MD in Howard County. You'll find LOTS of "bad parts" there. AND I grew up in Annapolis, there are five "HOODS" in Annapolis itself that I wouldn't even dream of visiting. As for the rest of AA county, let's just say it too has it's pockets. But, this is an age old argument that will forever be argued so I'll just sum it up like this. There isn't one area/county/state in this country that is ALL of anything, be it good OR bad.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 PM

408 posts, read 649,385 times
I just wanted to post that I hate the term "hood rich"

kthx

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing you've never been to Columbia, MD in Howard County. You'll find LOTS of "bad parts" there. AND I grew up in Annapolis, there are five "HOODS" in Annapolis itself that I wouldn't even dream of visiting. As for the rest of AA county, let's just say it too has it's pockets. But, this is an age old argument that will forever be argued so I'll just sum it up like this. There isn't one area/county/state in this country that is ALL of anything, be it good OR bad.
Trust me I've been to Columbia, and it is one of the "best" communities in the nation. CNNMoney has consistently ranked it high on its list of Top 100 Places to Live.

I'm usually defending PG County from the uninformed calling it a "ghetto" and what not, but you have to face the facts whatever "hoods" there are in Annapolis or Columbia (especially Columbia) don't hold a candle to places like Suitland/Silver Hill, Oxon Hill etc. PG is overall a decent place to live and a very wealthy county (just the other day I drove down Enterprise Rd and noticed a number of neighbourhoods with some huge brand new mcmansions), but the crime and urban blight that affects most of Southeast DC unfortunately has spilled over into the county. I was utterly stunned when I read an article in the WaPo (which was ironically about the recent steep drop in crime for the county) which said that Prince George's had more car thefts a few years ago than the entire state of Virginia. Even now I have a hard time believing that.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

3,576 posts, read 6,227,355 times
Quote:
Census data states that the meduim income for a family in Howard county is $85,422 whereas the medium income for a family in Mitchellville, MD (an area in PG county) is $91,297. So um yeah, clearly someone needs to do some more research.
Actually your facts are very misleading. You are comparing the median income in Howard County to a specific area (one of the wealthiest in PG county) If you want to do apples to apples comparisons, you need to compare the richest area of Howard County with the richest area of PG County.

To restate your quote (using correct data):

The median income for a household in the Howard County was $74,167, and the median income for a family was $85,422 (these figures had risen to $97,837 and $110,907 respectively as of a 2007 estimate)

Howard County, Maryland - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

The median income for a household in the PG County was $55,256, and the median income for a family was $62,467; these figures rose to $68,410 and $79,373 respectively as of a 2007 estimate.

Prince George's County, Maryland - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 9,149 times
Quote:
haha, because half the counties in maryland are among the wealthiest in the country.

To the op: Howard is not that much wealthier than montgomery. In fact the wealthiest towns/communities are located in montgomery. The only reason moco isn't the wealthiest is because they welcome low-income families, which supposedly include illegal immigrants.

supposedly????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland