U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,356,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candel View Post
supposedly????
Yeah, yeah MoCo has illegal immigrants, but the problem isn't nearly as bad as many people think. Too many people assume that just because a persons primary language is Spanish, they're here illegally.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM

903 posts, read 3,346,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, yeah MoCo has illegal immigrants, but the problem isn't nearly as bad as many people think. Too many people assume that just because a persons primary language is Spanish, they're here illegally.
No, it's bad. Especially in Gaithersburg/Germantown.

I see six mexicans to one person of any other race. MANY low wage workers are mexicans that cannot read English at all - they have to get the manager or a non-mexican to read English!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
No, it's bad. Especially in Gaithersburg/Germantown.

I see six mexicans to one person of any other race. MANY low wage workers are mexicans that cannot read English at all - they have to get the manager or a non-mexican to read English!!!
I live in Germantown and there definitely isn't anything close to a 6:1 ratio of "mexicans" (do I detect prejudice?) to "non-mexicans" in Gaithersburg, or Germantown. Maybe in your neighbourhood there that ratio exists though I highly doubt it. Whites make up the vast majority of residents in the area, with blacks and Hispanic population equal in Germantown and Hispanicsthe largest minority in Gaithersburg. I admit Montgomery County may have a larger illegal immigration problem than it's neighbours in MD and VA (I've heard the "Ike Legget rolls out the red carpet" argument too many times), but it's not Tijuana up here.

Edit: The CB (2007) says Hispanics make up 20% of G'town; Blacks 19%; Whites 55%. Hispanics make up 21% of G'burg; Blacks 14%; Whites 54%. Of course the vast majority of Hispanics are here legally, regardless if they can speak English or not.

Last edited by cpterp; 09-07-2009 at 09:29 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM

715 posts, read 1,903,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2lilboys! View Post
Census data states that the meduim income for a family in Howard county is $85,422 whereas the medium income for a family in Mitchellville, MD (an area in PG county) is $91,297. So um yeah, clearly someone needs to do some more research. And again, there are parts of PG I wouldn't set foot in but there are also parts of Howard County I wouldn't step foot in either. I'm just trying to get people to see that lumping all of one area into one category leads to inaccurate facts. Pockets of Howard are excellent, pockets aren't. Pockets of PG county are excellent, pockets aren't. That's the way it is across the country.
That's funny.

You compared Mitchellville, MD to ALL OF HOWARD COUNTY!

How about comparing Mitchellville, MD to the richest area of Howard County?

Columbia (21044-46): 112k

Columbia, MD Area and Community Summary Information. Columbia, MD Home Buying and Market Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2lilboys! View Post
So um yeah, clearly someone needs to do some more research.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
ITA. Isn't the Woodmore gated community within 20721? Along with many other nice communities? Woodmore may be "rich" to a great extent, but it isn't "hood rich." And I'll bet the residents there and in other affluent parts of PG don't care that someone thinks they are "hood rich." Even if it is insulting as he!!.
The price of those Woodmore homes would probably be worth double easily in Potomac or Bethesda.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Trust me I've been to Columbia, and it is one of the "best" communities in the nation. CNNMoney has consistently ranked it high on its list of Top 100 Places to Live.

I'm usually defending PG County from the uninformed calling it a "ghetto" and what not, but you have to face the facts whatever "hoods" there are in Annapolis or Columbia (especially Columbia) don't hold a candle to places like Suitland/Silver Hill, Oxon Hill etc. PG is overall a decent place to live and a very wealthy county (just the other day I drove down Enterprise Rd and noticed a number of neighbourhoods with some huge brand new mcmansions), but the crime and urban blight that affects most of Southeast DC unfortunately has spilled over into the county. I was utterly stunned when I read an article in the WaPo (which was ironically about the recent steep drop in crime for the county) which said that Prince George's had more car thefts a few years ago than the entire state of Virginia. Even now I have a hard time believing that.
"Hood Rich" is actually a very hip, funny, and appropriate term.

A lot of people in the newer communities in PG have worked hard, saved hard, and bought the home of their dreams. They are paying big taxes while suffering mediocre services, long commutes to work, shaky educational system, lack of retail options, decrease in property values, inefficient government, etc. Still, they persevere and fight on.

These people who have moved to PG though, do deserve respect because home ownership is the American dream. The term "hood rich" comes into play when relatives or friends show up at the house on visits and still think that they are hanging out at the hood.

Loud noise, disrespectful, wild, etc. I've seen it.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 AM

903 posts, read 3,346,435 times
Quote:
I live in Germantown and there definitely isn't anything close to a 6:1 ratio of "mexicans" (do I detect prejudice?) to "non-mexicans" in Gaithersburg, or Germantown. Maybe in your neighbourhood there that ratio exists though I highly doubt it. Whites make up the vast majority of residents in the area, with blacks and Hispanic population equal in Germantown and Hispanicsthe largest minority in Gaithersburg. I admit Montgomery County may have a larger illegal immigration problem than it's neighbours in MD and VA (I've heard the "Ike Legget rolls out the red carpet" argument too many times), but it's not Tijuana up here.

Edit: The CB (2007) says Hispanics make up 20% of G'town; Blacks 19%; Whites 55%. Hispanics make up 21% of G'burg; Blacks 14%; Whites 54%. Of course the vast majority of Hispanics are here legally, regardless if they can speak English or not.
Oh, hell. You're in denial. Shove that uppity liberal attitude and check the area yourself. Seeing is believing.

Go OUT and take a GOOD look around. You will see that there are way more than they printed. The 20% is for the legal and registered families...but they sure as hell didn't document illegals, now did they? Count the vehicles to one house...count how many families/persons living in one house...etc.

I said READ, not SPEAK. Reread my post. But on that note, many establishments barely speak functional English.

Tijuana? Stroll by the Old Towne street...there's your Tijuana. Enough to make the bar look like it doesn't belong there.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Oh, hell. You're in denial. Shove that uppity liberal attitude and check the area yourself. Seeing is believing.

Go OUT and take a GOOD look around. You will see that there are way more than they printed. The 20% is for the legal and registered families...but they sure as hell didn't document illegals, now did they? Count the vehicles to one house...count how many families/persons living in one house...etc.

I said READ, not SPEAK. Reread my post. But on that note, many establishments barely speak functional English.

Tijuana? Stroll by the Old Towne street...there's your Tijuana. Enough to make the bar look like it doesn't belong there.
I'm not blind, I live in the area. Where the hell do you live? Probably not in G'burg if you think Old Towne Ave is overun with illegals. Old Towne is a very nice area and the only things there are condos, the town hall, post office, antique shops, and the MC Business Center and I see more Whites in that area than Hispanics. There are more Hispanics in the areas surrounding Lakeforest. You've already shown us you're just another prejudiced prick who refers to every Hispanic as an illegal "mexican." Why don't you "shove" your racist attitude or get out of Montgomery? I have said many times before I'm not oblivious to MoCo's illegal immigrant problem, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. Of course when you live by the moronic sterotypes you've posted, everyone is an illegal to you.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM

789 posts, read 2,324,570 times
Quote:
I'm not blind, I live in the area. Where the hell do you live? Probably not in G'burg if you think Old Towne Ave is overun with illegals. Old Towne is a very nice area and the only things there are condos, the town hall, post office, antique shops, and the MC Business Center and I see more Whites in that area than Hispanics. There are more Hispanics in the areas surrounding Lakeforest. You've already shown us you're just another prejudiced prick who refers to every Hispanic as an illegal "mexican." Why don't you "shove" your racist attitude or get out of Montgomery? I have said many times before I'm not oblivious to MoCo's illegal immigrant problem, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be. Of course when you live by the moronic sterotypes you've posted, everyone is an illegal to you.
Actually Old Towne is very nice. My daughter's class took a field trip there this past spring and I was totally blown away by the experience. There's a lot of history. She got to meet the mayor, the Gaithersburg cat (can't think of his name), and learn about the history of the city etc.. They have a great park for kids, and had a couple good outdoor concerts over the summer. The pharmarcy on the corner makes the best chocolate shake in the USA.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM

13,664 posts, read 20,865,603 times
cpterp is right on about Olde Town G'Burg. I live in G'Burg and go there quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland