U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 AM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,825,508 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
It is like this in a lot of places in MD... It frustrated the crap out of me that I had lived in MD my whole life and when I moved out at 18 I couldn't even get by... MD is for rich people... I felt like I did everything I could at that age, I had a job as a software developer for a defense contractor... After a few years I was just sick of skating by with nothing so I moved to FL and now I live comfortably...

It is a shame that people have to get forced out of where they grew up because they can't afford to live there...

Maryland is also for poor people. It's called Baltimore City and its a drain on the pocket of every wage in the State. Wish they could get their act together down there in the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Maryland is also for poor people. It's called Baltimore City and its a drain on the pocket of every wage in the State. Wish they could get their act together down there in the City.
I know it was immensely frustrating being 18,19 years old and paying $1100/month for a dumpy 1 bedroom apartment, then going to the grocery store buying 1 ply toilet paper and ramen noodle soup only to see someone twice my age buying name brand items with food stamps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
 
102 posts, read 280,439 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Maryland is also for poor people. It's called Baltimore City and its a drain on the pocket of every wage in the State. Wish they could get their act together down there in the City.
Absolutely! My office is in downtown Baltimore and the city is horrible. I've never seen more people begging for money on the street in my life. And so many adults (obviously unemployed) just hang around on the street during work hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 PM
 
102 posts, read 280,439 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Factor in real estate taxes, high energy bills, food prices are probably higher than you are used to, state taxes aren't cheap, etc.
I moved from NY and was very surprised by MD state taxes. In NY, there's no county income tax (I lived in Westchester) and now I pay Howard County tax + CA fee + MD state income tax on top of Federal taxes. My NY home is more expensive than my Clarksville home and I pay higher property tax here in MD. Will I ever save?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Jefferson County
380 posts, read 1,031,784 times
Reputation: 103
This is why so many have decided to put up with a long commute and move west of the Potomac into WV. The cost of living is so much lower than MD (or VA). It's unfortunate to have to travel so far but sometimes necessary so that one person can stay at home to parent the children. It has gotten some better now that so many positions offer tele-commuting and High Speed internet is more widely available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
This is why so many have decided to put up with a long commute and move west of the Potomac into WV. The cost of living is so much lower than MD (or VA). It's unfortunate to have to travel so far but sometimes necessary so that one person can stay at home to parent the children. It has gotten some better now that so many positions offer tele-commuting and High Speed internet is more widely available.
Maybe thats what I should have looked into instead of moving all the way to FL... I do like it down here though... It would have been nice to be closer to MD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,255,338 times
Reputation: 233
It always makes me laugh when people say over 50k isn't adequate.

We moved here three years ago, making 35k... living in MoCo.

Currently, we live in MoCo making 55k.. now are things tight sometimes? Sure.. but for the most part we are making it and are relatively happy financially.....


That being said, wanting to buy a house is completely different.. I don't want to buy in Montgomery Village, so we are off to Brunswick.. in Frederick County.. Prices are affordable.. schools are nice.. and I'm in love with the hometown feel..

That being said, it's entirely possible to buy a home almost anywhere in Frederick County for under 200k.. depending on what you are looking for (I say almost because you can't touch Urbana for that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
It always makes me laugh when people say over 50k isn't adequate.

We moved here three years ago, making 35k... living in MoCo.

Currently, we live in MoCo making 55k.. now are things tight sometimes? Sure.. but for the most part we are making it and are relatively happy financially.....


That being said, wanting to buy a house is completely different.. I don't want to buy in Montgomery Village, so we are off to Brunswick.. in Frederick County.. Prices are affordable.. schools are nice.. and I'm in love with the hometown feel..

That being said, it's entirely possible to buy a home almost anywhere in Frederick County for under 200k.. depending on what you are looking for (I say almost because you can't touch Urbana for that)
I don't see how you did anything making 35k a year... Making 80k with kids is going to be really rough any way you swing it...

When I was 19 I was making 42k/year and I had a really hard time getting by... My apartment was a dump and really expensive and after taxes there just wasn't a whole lot to spend... I could never go out to eat or go shopping at the mall... I had 1 ply toilet paper and ate ramen noodle soup at least twice a day... I had a 10 year old oil leaking beat up car...

My 600 sq/ft apartment was $1100/month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
1,477 posts, read 3,646,002 times
Reputation: 1790
I'm a single parent of 2 and have never made more than $45,000/year. I've always managed also. (Child support was never a factor either, it was practically non-existent.) I never ate ramen noodle soup. I could still afford meat. I think where I got lucky was my housing. Somehow, I always fell into great deals on rentals. To this day, I have a 3 bedroom duplex that up until this year, I was paying $750 a month for the last 8 years (now I pay $850). My kids also never wanted for anything (as a matter of fact, they are truly spoiled). It may be rare, but living under $50,000/year is doable in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,255,338 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I don't see how you did anything making 35k a year... Making 80k with kids is going to be really rough any way you swing it...

When I was 19 I was making 42k/year and I had a really hard time getting by... My apartment was a dump and really expensive and after taxes there just wasn't a whole lot to spend... I could never go out to eat or go shopping at the mall... I had 1 ply toilet paper and ate ramen noodle soup at least twice a day... I had a 10 year old oil leaking beat up car...

My 600 sq/ft apartment was $1100/month...

Well... we have two kids, and two dogs.. two cars.. we make it work
When we first moved here we lived in an apartment in Germantown.. it was really nice. It was considered for "moderate income" so you had to make income guidelines.. I think you couldn't make over 42k I believe with three individuals (we only had one child when we first moved here).. but they were REALLY nice apartments (The Fields Apartments (http://thefieldsapts.ketsco.com/germantown/overview.html - broken link))

And as far as 80k being rough.. I just don't see it... I mean, we live a relatively normal life.. we aren't eating raman noodles, etc.. we use coupons, shop for great deals. but we aren't stingy with our money.. we just have a budget that we stick to Perhaps it's where I'm from.. a very small town in Indiana.. I'm not used to McMansions and the whole deal.

But, we do what we do so that I can be a stay at home mom (working very, very part time for a friend who is a photographer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top