U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,627 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
There are other much more affordable places to live (Not in MD)... You should really try and send some resumes out to other places you might want to live...

You could live much more comfortably on your salary down here in Jacksonville... MD holds a lot of people back, there are a lot of other really nice places to live, you should at least look into it... You are hurting yourself by staying in MD...
Yeah I know. MD is WAY to expensive. Its ridiculous really. The biggest thing is right now I'm helping my sister while she finishes graduate school. I have my Bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education but I want to get my Masters degree in either Learning Disabilities or as a Reading Specialist. And as long as I can get good financial aid (grants, scholarships) I want to attend University of Maryland or American University because they have great programs.

In 3-5 years I'll probably relocate elsewhere. But for now, I'll live poor...trying to aquire the American dream *dramatic music* lol....

We'll see...I may give up and go elsewhere. It's tough living on 20-23,000 dollars a year in an area where the cost of living is so high and where everyone else around you makes 100,000 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village, MD
516 posts, read 1,252,283 times
Reputation: 233
Where are you looking to move in Frederick? Have you considered Brunswick? It's sooo much less expensive than basically anywhere else in Frederick Co
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,340,521 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasler View Post
Yeah I know. MD is WAY to expensive. Its ridiculous really. The biggest thing is right now I'm helping my sister while she finishes graduate school. I have my Bachelors degree in Early Childhood Education but I want to get my Masters degree in either Learning Disabilities or as a Reading Specialist. And as long as I can get good financial aid (grants, scholarships) I want to attend University of Maryland or American University because they have great programs.

In 3-5 years I'll probably relocate elsewhere. But for now, I'll live poor...trying to aquire the American dream *dramatic music* lol....

We'll see...I may give up and go elsewhere. It's tough living on 20-23,000 dollars a year in an area where the cost of living is so high and where everyone else around you makes 100,000 or more.
I feel your pain man, I really had a rough time getting by in MD... There is a light at the end of the tunnel... Just know there are nicer, more affordable places out there waiting for you... When you do decide to make the jump, it will change your life, trust me... It was the best decision I ever made...

MD does have good schools but I would do everything in my power to get out... It took me a long time to realize that MD was holding me back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,010 posts, read 37,440,246 times
Reputation: 9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, the more you think, the more MD tax's you. Frederick at onetime was a great place to live. Stay away from the "golden mile" trashy neighborhoods and no one speaks English. Try ordering a double r-bar burger at the Roy rogers!
Where is the 'Golden Mile'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,258 posts, read 11,616,204 times
Reputation: 3640
U.S. 40, west of downtown. Home to strip malls, fast food and the Frederick Towne Mall (a.k.a. "The Old Mall")

To Frederick's credit, there are actually sidewalks in this area (unlike similar shopping districts on U.S. highways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,010 posts, read 37,440,246 times
Reputation: 9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
U.S. 40, west of downtown. Home to strip malls, fast food and the Frederick Towne Mall (a.k.a. "The Old Mall")

To Frederick's credit, there are actually sidewalks in this area (unlike similar shopping districts on U.S. highways).
Doesn't sound too bad actually. Is this stretch of highway also walkable to downtown itself? Meaning, could a person bike ride or walk from residential areas to this 'Golden Mile'?

Sounds like it most work...maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,258 posts, read 11,616,204 times
Reputation: 3640
I consider myself to be a pretty fearless cyclist in suburban areas that are clearly not interested in cycling, but retail areas built along U.S. highways always seem to be impossible. I think I have to go to this area on Thursday so I'll report back to you my observations.

Maybe you can ride on the sidewalk, which I hate to do. But yes it's not too far from downtown Fred you can walk it. There's a bus, too.

frederick - Google Maps It's roughly the area in between U.S. 15 and the junction of W Patrick Street and Old Nat'l Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,010 posts, read 37,440,246 times
Reputation: 9639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I consider myself to be a pretty fearless cyclist in suburban areas that are clearly not interested in cycling, but retail areas built along U.S. highways always seem to be impossible. I think I have to go to this area on Thursday so I'll report back to you my observations.

Maybe you can ride on the sidewalk, which I hate to do. But yes it's not too far from downtown Fred you can walk it. There's a bus, too.

frederick - Google Maps It's roughly the area in between U.S. 15 and the junction of W Patrick Street and Old Nat'l Pike.
Thanks! Yeah, I see. A sidewalk, but not as large as I had imagined. Actually looks kind of small in comparison to how many lanes are on that highway going through. Also, doesn't look to be a very particularly interesting or enjoyable place to ride a bike at all, even on the sidewalk - especially with how narrow it is (I mean, if there were walkers also using it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,258 posts, read 11,616,204 times
Reputation: 3640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Also, doesn't look to be a very particularly interesting or enjoyable place to ride a bike at all, even on the sidewalk - especially with how narrow it is (I mean, if there were walkers also using it).
No, not at all enjoyable. There are far more enjoyable places to ride in Frederick city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM
(-)
 
690 posts, read 1,679,015 times
Reputation: 487
what a difference a year makes! You can find some pretty good housing deals in Frederick and Howard County now thanks to the housing collapse. Provided you have a stable job, 80K gets you a really nice new house in Howard County now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top