Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM

335 posts, read 699,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
what a difference a year makes! You can find some pretty good housing deals in Frederick and Howard County now thanks to the housing collapse. Provided you have a stable job, 80K gets you a really nice new house in Howard County now.
hahahahahahahaha! Please provide a link to a really nice new house in Howard County for 80k.

I have some ocenafront property in ellicott city for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM

335 posts, read 699,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Doesn't sound too bad actually. Is this stretch of highway also walkable to downtown itself? Meaning, could a person bike ride or walk from residential areas to this 'Golden Mile'?

Sounds like it most work...maybe.

The "golden mile" is so named b/c of the mile of retail shops that were built along rt 40 back in the 70's and 80's. Since then, condos/apts./townhomes have been built behind these all the stores, and there is alot of crime and transients. It is anything but golden.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
hahahahahahahaha! Please provide a link to a really nice new house in Howard County for 80k.

I have some ocenafront property in ellicott city for you.
on an 80k salary man...not an 80k house!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
The "golden mile" is so named b/c of the mile of retail shops that were built along rt 40 back in the 70's and 80's. Since then, condos/apts./townhomes have been built behind these all the stores, and there is alot of crime and transients. It is anything but golden.
The golden mile is NOT safe for bikes or pedestrians. The cars go fast, many lanes, frequent turn only lanes right into the few crosswalks. At least a couple of people are fatally mowed down there every year.

The neighborhood itself ain't Baker Park, but its bad rap is mostly due to being the Hispanic part of town more than any real notorious crime or criminals. My wife and I lived at the edge of this neighborhood for 5 years, shopped at the local Hispanic markets, liqeor stores, and ate in the restaurants with no problems. Mostly the Hispanics are Central American families that are far more likely to be seen in cowboy hats, tight jeans, cowboy boots, and baby carriages than gangster gear.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Mostly the Hispanics are Central American families that are far more likely to be seen in cowboy hats, tight jeans, cowboy boots, and baby carriages than gangster gear.
One I met was tough, too. I was coming out of the Clay Oven Indian restaurant last winter and saw a guy on a bike completely lose it on some ice and mash his face on the pavement. He was bleeding but ok. In Spanish I offered him a ride but he refused.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,388 times
Is this still possible? been a while since last post, so wondering if a family of 4 can still live with $80k/yr?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
Is this still possible? been a while since last post, so wondering if a family of 4 can still live with $80k/yr?
It all comes down to housing and daycare. And of course, location. For $80K, I have trouble imagining a family of four living anywhere other than an apartment or small rented house in a less than desirable area where mom stays home to watch the kids (no daycare cost). It would certainly help to not have any additional debt to pay (credit cards, student loans, etc). The right family under the right circumstances, maybe. But the typical debt-laden, budget-challenged American family would probably struggle in Howard County with $80K in pre-tax income. There's a reason it's the 2nd richest county in the nation in median family income....people have money in Howard...and because people have money...everything is expensive.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:03 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Yes if you live modestly and make smart decisions. That salary works out to about $6666 a month. Most finance experts will recommend only 28-30% of your monthly pay should go to housing costs. So that's roughly $2k a month, I think, just throwing numbers out. You could buy a townhouse or possibly an older home in Howard County with that budget. Money would go further in other counties likely. However, if you have a big car payment, student loans, daycare costs, ect... it could be painful.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,388 times
How is it at Montgomery Co (Rockville)? Any cheaper or the same? I know commute to FT Meade will be like 40min but can be done. Will probably rent a house for a while before buying in the area

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
How is it at Montgomery Co (Rockville)? Any cheaper or the same? I know commute to FT Meade will be like 40min but can be done. Will probably rent a house for a while before buying in the area
Rockville can be cheaper, and yes, the commute to the Fort is doable for many people. Have you considered areas closer to Meade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland