U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 261,140 times

Advertisements

Currently, there are two programs that allow workers to receive extended benefit payments after running out of their regular state benefits. Both of these programs are, at this time, 100% funded with federal money. These programs are Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) and Extended Benefits (EB).

The Extended Benefits (EB) program provides an additional 13 to 20 weeks of benefits to workers receiving unemployment insurance in states that meet certain thresholds in terms of their unemployment rates. The Recovery Act recently made these benefits completely federally funded for 2009 (usually, the cost is split 50-50 between states and the federal government), and changed EB eligibility rules so that states can now pay EB benefits to workers who don't find jobs before the end of their EUC benefits.

Any state can "trigger on" to Extended Benefits when the level of unemployed workers covered by unemployment insurance reaches a certain level (those receiving UI must equal 5 percent or higher of all those employed). However, this is a high threshold that many states don't meet. Alternatively, a state may trigger on by its regular unemployment rates: it can provide 13 weeks of Extended Benefits when the average unemployment rate over the past three months is 6.5 percent or higher, and 20 weeks when the average unemployment rate is 8.0 percent or higher. Many states currently meet one of these two optional thresholds, but a state must have it written into their law that they will pay Extended Benefits based on its unemployment rate (known as the Total Unemployment Rate, or TUR). MAryland is currently eligible for 13 weeks of Extended Benefits.

To date, Maryland has not adopted this TUR in our unemployment law (which can be reverted to the old law once the payments are no longer 100% federally funded). Marylanders who have exhausted their EUC are missing out on the available 13 weeks that we now qualify for.

The Maryland General assembly is essentially screwing us by not adopting the TUR trigger. Contact your elected officials today and let them know that you demand that this trigger be enacted.

If you are unsure who your elected officals are in the general assembly, you can find out by visiting Who Are Your Elected Officials in Maryland? and clicking "Find your federal and state elected officials".

Thank you for helping your fellow Marylanders put food on the table for their children while they continue to look for work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Default Sample letter to elected officials.

Here is a sample letter that you can copy and paste to send to your elected officials in Maryland:

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing because I have been made aware that Maryland is currently eligible for 13 weeks of additional unemployment benefits through the federal Extended Benefits program.

The Extended Benefits (EB) program provides an additional 13 to 20 weeks of benefits to workers receiving unemployment insurance in states that meet certain thresholds in terms of their unemployment rates. The Recovery Act recently made these benefits completely federally funded for 2009 (usually, the cost is split 50-50 between states and the federal
government), and changed EB eligibility rules so that states can now pay EB benefits to workers who don't find jobs before the end of their EUC benefits.

Any state can "trigger on" to Extended Benefits when the level of unemployed workers covered by unemployment insurance reaches a certain level (those receiving UI must equal 5 percent or higher of all those employed). However, this is a high threshold that many states don't meet. Alternatively, a state may trigger on by its regular unemployment rates: it can provide 13 weeks of Extended Benefits when the average unemployment rate over the past three months is 6.5 percent or
higher, and 20 weeks when the average unemployment rate is 8.0 percent or higher. Many states currently meet one of these two optional thresholds, but a state must have it written into their law that they will pay Extended Benefits based on its unemployment rate (known as the Total Unemployment Rate, or TUR). Maryland is currently eligible for 13
weeks of Extended Benefits.

I and many other Marylanders would like you to adopt this TUR trigger into Maryland unemployment law so that Marylanders who have exhausted their Emergency Unemployment Compensation will be able to put food on the table for their children while they continue to look for work. Once Extended Benefits are no longer 100% federally funded, the law can be reverted to its current state. Please adopt the TUR trigger as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

If you receive a response from your legislator, please post it here so we can keep up with where we are in getting this legislation enacted.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Default Senator Kasemeyer responds!

I recently received this response from Senator Edward Kasemeyer:

Dear Mr. Ration,

Thank you for contacting me. After receiving your e-mail, I contacted the legislative liaison for the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. Maryland is one of only nine states that offer twenty-six weeks of unemployment compensation. Other states vary in the length of time for benefits to continue; some states offer as little as nine or twelve weeks of benefits. In addition, Marylanders may now apply for an additional thirty-three weeks of Emergency Unemployment Compensation coverage extending the total coverage period to fifty-nine weeks. Again, other states with lower initial benefits periods may not provide the same length of coverage as Maryland presently offers.

Furthermore, many states that have adopted the Extended Benefits program are doing so with the caveat that they will only offer this so long as the federal government is paying 100% of the additional cost. The reason for this is that the extended benefits being paid would necessitate an increase in taxes on business to fund the payments.

Sincerely,

Senator Edward J. Kasemeyer

My response:

Dear Senator Kasemeyer,

First off thank you for taking the time to personally write back. Your committment to your constituents is well noted.

I fully understand and am grateful for the fact that Maryland is one of 9 states to offer 6 months of unemployment insurance. I am equally grateful for the 33 weeks of emergency compensation that I and many others have received through the federal government.

I am also well aware that the states who have changed their unemployment laws to allow federal extended benefits are doing so only because and while federal dollars are fully paying for the extended benefits. The point of my letter was to highlight the fact that these dollars are available to our state if we change our law. It doesn't need to be a permanent change either. Like other states, we can change the law back to its current form once the program is no longer 100% federally funded.

Maryland is currently eligible for 13 weeks of federally funded extended benefits if we adopt a Total Unmployment Rate trigger. The Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation estimates that nearly 26,000 Marylanders will have exhausted all allotted unemployment benefits by the end of this year. Doesn't it make sense that Maryland lawmakers do everything that they can to help? I and many others like me feel that this is something that can and should be done. None of us chose to be unemployed or volunteered to be penniless until the economy recovers.

I urge you to contact the appropriate individuals and get the ball rolling to change Maryland Unemployment laws. I also urge you to vote for any federal extension to unemployment benefits that is presented during the next legislative session.

Thanks again,

If enough of us write to our elected officials, this WILL get done!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 AM

Default Senator Cardin Responds!

Dear Mr. Ration:

Thank you for contacting me in support of extended unemployment benefits.

I have very serious concerns about our economy and specifically its affect on families struggling to meet their basic needs. In May, unemployment in the United States was up to 5.5 percent, the highest unemployment rate since 2005, representing a .5 percent increase from April. Families across Maryland and the United Sates are hurting financially and economists believe there will be further slowing of economic growth as the year goes on.

H.R. 5749, the Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008, was introduced by Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA-7) on April 9, 2008. On June 12, 2008, the House passed the bill by a vote of 274 to 137 and it was placed on the Senate calendar. The Senate did not vote on H.R. 5749 during the 110th Congress.

H.R. 5749 would create a temporary extended unemployment benefit that would extend unemployment compensation benefits for 13 weeks. In certain high unemployment states, there would be an additional 13 weeks of extended benefit. These benefits would be completely federally financed. When eligible workers lose their jobs, the Unemployment Compensation (UC) program may provide income support through the payment of UC benefits. The Extended Benefit (EB) program may extend UC benefits at the state level if certain economic situations exist within the state.

Last year, I supported H.R. 5410, the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, aimed at helping middle-income and low-income Americans, who are the most vulnerable in these uncertain economic times. While H.R. 5140 did pass, Americans continue to face serious problems with our economy. By any measure, millions of Americans are facing hardship in such an unstable economic environment. Please be assured that I will continue to work for unemployment benefits and all other critical issues affecting our economy.

Again, I appreciate your contacting me about this legislation. Please do not hesitate to contact me about this or any other matter of importance to you.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM

Check out this video I posted.
YouTube - Help extend unemployment benefits for all Americans

Last edited by Ration; 09-06-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Thanks for all the YouTube hits on the video, it's doing quite well!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 13,629 times
Default Maryland Senator is wrong

First Maryland is not among the few states which offer an initial 26 weeks of benefits. I think he was confused in that Maryland is one of only ten states which does not offer TUR benefits. Maryland is among the small group of states with the lowest total Emergency benefits for the unemployed. He is also wrong in that the TUR benefits are fully funded by the federal government now and the state can trigger off if that changes.

Maryland lawmakers just don't care. Bottom line the governor can call for a special session to pass the TUR right now and refuses to do so because business has the governor in its pocket. Maryland business have enjoyed some of the lowest SUTA taxes in the nation for many years and now that they laid off so many workers they don't want to pay the price.

Part two of this story is that all long term unemployed have taken a hit on their credit report ratings yet Maryland's government won't pass any law which prohibits employers from background checks. It is a common practice in this state for an employer to run a background check no matter how trivial the job is. Democrats in Maryland are far from progressive. In fact can't tell them apart from any Republican.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 12,685 times
I know Maryland Senate passed something in March that helps unemployed workers. I know that this was going to go to the House of Delegates for final passage. Was this the TUR trigger that gives Marylanders the extra 13 or 20 weeks they deserve??

Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 12,112 times
Why don't we just sue DLLR in Federal Court saying that they were negligent in not paying us the 13 weeks of benefits. They clearly defrauded us. If your interested contact me at roxann66@verizon.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or