U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 25,649 times

Advertisements

I've been stuck out in AZ for the past 4.5 years, but I was born and raised in Maryland. Never left because I loved it so much. I lived in the Annapolis area. No, I didn't have a waterfront home, but I had a nice home in a community just off Route 50 called "Cape Saint Claire." It's kind of like a suburb of Annapolis - 15 minutes into town. Home prices there are quite reasonable, if you don't mind living in an older, modest home.

I commuted to D.C. and Baltimore from there. Baltimore was by far the easier commute. Southern MD is fantastic if you enjoy crabbing on the many rivers or hanging out on the Bay, but other than that ... there is virtually nothing around PAX River Naval Air Station.

Yes, there IS gridlock. Yes, there IS congestion. But the school systems in most of the counties are pretty doggone good. I also had the opportunity to hear Navy band concerts down at City Dock (Annapolis) during the summer - FREE. On weekends, parking at the Metro subway stations is FREE. The museums in D.C. are FREE. Not to mention that the fares are cheaper on the subway on weekends.

People may disagree with me, but I lived in Maryland for 51 years, so I think I know a good deal about what's going on and where it's developed for the better - and for the worse.

Stay out of Prince George's County, and most of Montgomery County has gone to the dogs as well. (Both counties surround D.C.). Tons of folks I knew lived just over the Maryland state line in PA and commuted down Interstate 83 to B-more everyday. The taxes are way less in PA.

During gridlock times, I would eat a meal - breakfast or a before-dinner snack (particularly on Friday evenings). I would listen to books on tape. I would *** on my cell phone, which I believe is now against the law in Maryland unless you have a hands-free unit. I know it's illegal in D.C. to talk on a hand-held while driving, so I'm assuming the General Assembly may have passed a similar law by now.

There are areas in Baltimore County (if you work in the Baltimore area) that don't cost an arm and a leg. Cockeysville and Timonium area are still relatively affordable - the rents are less than a lot of other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM

919 posts, read 2,337,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodie View Post
I've been stuck out in AZ for the past 4.5 years, but I was born and raised in Maryland. Never left because I loved it so much. I lived in the Annapolis area. No, I didn't have a waterfront home, but I had a nice home in a community just off Route 50 called "Cape Saint Claire." It's kind of like a suburb of Annapolis - 15 minutes into town. Home prices there are quite reasonable, if you don't mind living in an older, modest home.

I commuted to D.C. and Baltimore from there. Baltimore was by far the easier commute. Southern MD is fantastic if you enjoy crabbing on the many rivers or hanging out on the Bay, but other than that ... there is virtually nothing around PAX River Naval Air Station.

Yes, there IS gridlock. Yes, there IS congestion. But the school systems in most of the counties are pretty doggone good. I also had the opportunity to hear Navy band concerts down at City Dock (Annapolis) during the summer - FREE. On weekends, parking at the Metro subway stations is FREE. The museums in D.C. are FREE. Not to mention that the fares are cheaper on the subway on weekends.

People may disagree with me, but I lived in Maryland for 51 years, so I think I know a good deal about what's going on and where it's developed for the better - and for the worse.

Stay out of Prince George's County, and most of Montgomery County has gone to the dogs as well. (Both counties surround D.C.). Tons of folks I knew lived just over the Maryland state line in PA and commuted down Interstate 83 to B-more everyday. The taxes are way less in PA.

During gridlock times, I would eat a meal - breakfast or a before-dinner snack (particularly on Friday evenings). I would listen to books on tape. I would *** on my cell phone, which I believe is now against the law in Maryland unless you have a hands-free unit. I know it's illegal in D.C. to talk on a hand-held while driving, so I'm assuming the General Assembly may have passed a similar law by now.

There are areas in Baltimore County (if you work in the Baltimore area) that don't cost an arm and a leg. Cockeysville and Timonium area are still relatively affordable - the rents are less than a lot of other places.
There is plenty around PAX River... It has really been built up over the past 10-15 years...

Annapolis is not affordable, we are talking about a 1 income family here... Where are the IT jobs in annapolis? I don't think it is worth it to commute into the city...

Most areas in St. Mary's county are more affordable than the areas you mentioned...

Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 25,649 times
Yeah, right ... PAX River area overwhelmed me on a Sunday night in '04 when I was camping at Point Lookout and needed some supplies. Let's see ... I ended up getting a sub at Subway's. Annapolis is the state capital. The General Assembly is always looking for good IT people (state employees, but with attrition, may be tough).

C'mon ... I lived there for 51 years. I worked for the General Assembly, the state leadership program, and the Baltimore Convention Center. I guess I know SOMETHING about the state.

I don't feel like being on another board where everybody argues about this garbage. Just look at the goofs who go on and on about Montgomery County, Howard County, etc.

I LIVED THERE FOR FIFTY-ONE YEARS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED THERE. I WORKED THERE. OKAY???? Jeesh! Everybody is a stinkin' expert because they've lived in Montgomery Village or PAX River or Hyattsville for 10 years. Gimme a break!

"Plenty" around PAX is a subjective term. There is NOT plenty. Baloney. Annapolis IS affordable - I SAID I LIVED IN CAPE SAINT CLAIRE - NOT ON DUKE OF GLOUCESTER STREET. For cryin' out loud - get real!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodie View Post
Yeah, right ... PAX River area overwhelmed me on a Sunday night in '04 when I was camping at Point Lookout and needed some supplies. Let's see ... I ended up getting a sub at Subway's. Annapolis is the state capital. The General Assembly is always looking for good IT people (state employees, but with attrition, may be tough).

C'mon ... I lived there for 51 years. I worked for the General Assembly, the state leadership program, and the Baltimore Convention Center. I guess I know SOMETHING about the state.

I don't feel like being on another board where everybody argues about this garbage. Just look at the goofs who go on and on about Montgomery County, Howard County, etc.

I LIVED THERE FOR FIFTY-ONE YEARS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED THERE. I WORKED THERE. OKAY???? Jeesh! Everybody is a stinkin' expert because they've lived in Montgomery Village or PAX River or Hyattsville for 10 years. Gimme a break!

"Plenty" around PAX is a subjective term. There is NOT plenty. Baloney. Annapolis IS affordable - I SAID I LIVED IN CAPE SAINT CLAIRE - NOT ON DUKE OF GLOUCESTER STREET. For cryin' out loud - get real!
The main point is that the OPs man does sys admin/helpdesk support... There will be way more job opportunities around PAX River and it should be cheaper to live around there...

"Plenty" is definitely subjective it depends on what you like to do in your free time... Admittedly there is much "nicer" newer stuff around Annapolis but the area around PAX River has even built up a bit since '04... There are museums, historic landmarks, lots of fishing, watersports, nice seafood restaurants, the tiki bar (not really my thing but it seems to be popular), plenty of retail stores, and its fair share of chain and local restaurants... You can pretty much get everything you need in the area...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM

23 posts, read 55,180 times
So Pax River, is there a lot of secret clearance issues like in DC.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

I also wanted to know if it is a smart idea to move without a job up there. We have about $6000 to live off of if need be. It doesn't seem like people are responding to his resumes.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM

There are plenty of jobs for people who do and do not have clearances... Again there are less jobs for your husbands specialty than other IT specialties so getting job might be a crap shoot...

Moving without a job is a terrible terrible terrible idea... 6k will be gone faster than you can imagine... The cost of living in MD is ridiculous...

Still not sure why you want to live in MD, people from the south tend to think it is this amazing place when it really isn't... I really did love living in Southern MD, it was really nice but still not worth the price of admission...

Might I interest you in a venture further south? Jacksonville is warmer, has lots of IT jobs and the cost of living is much much cheaper than MD...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
There are plenty of jobs for people who do and do not have clearances... Again there are less jobs for your husbands specialty than other IT specialties so getting job might be a crap shoot...

Moving without a job is a terrible terrible terrible idea... 6k will be gone faster than you can imagine... The cost of living in MD is ridiculous...

Still not sure why you want to live in MD, people from the south tend to think it is this amazing place when it really isn't... I really did love living in Southern MD, it was really nice but still not worth the price of admission...

Might I interest you in a venture further south? Jacksonville is warmer, has lots of IT jobs and the cost of living is much much cheaper than MD...
Well my family is in NYC and PA and his family is in NC so Maryland is right in the middle...We are also open to NOVA and DC. I want to get closer to NY. I hear you on the cost of living thing but there has to be some places in MD that isn't so expensive.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

35,014 posts, read 44,609,608 times
You might want to look at Delaware, also. The reality is that MD is a fairly expensive state and those areas that aren't don't have many jobs. The Eastern Shore is cheaper than the Western, but you run in to the job issue. Possibly some of the hotels in Ocean City would have an IT component, I don't know.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin View Post
Well my family is in NYC and PA and his family is in NC so Maryland is right in the middle...We are also open to NOVA and DC. I want to get closer to NY. I hear you on the cost of living thing but there has to be some places in MD that isn't so expensive.
There really aren't any affordable areas in MD where there are jobs... You should seriously consider Jacksonville... I loved MD to death but I just couldn't afford to live there... Its a shame but thats how it goes... I really like Jacksonville because it reminds me of where I lived in southern MD just way way cheaper...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland