U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Kernersville NC
23 posts, read 55,355 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Hello..
My husband and I want to move from NC to MD with our 2 kids ages 4 and 2 months. He will be the one getting a job within the IT sector most likely PC TECH or Desktop support or Helpdesk... Being that he has a criminal past which will eliminate any chances for getting a job that requires secret clearance, I want to know if

1. There are jobs in his field that don't require a Secret Clearance.
2. Where would be the best place to move to find jobs without Secret Clearance
3. Would it be wise to move without a job first. (mainly because jobs are not looking at out of state hopefuls)
4. Would we survive off of his income only.

Thanks to all that help..

Also... we have no family in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
 
31 posts, read 100,190 times
Reputation: 30
I am doing the exact move as we speak and I may be able to help you in some areas..I am moving from Charlotte NC to Md ...and it ha been quite a headache however I have family members thee with some issues with the law as well and they have AWESOME jobs..he may not be able to go directly into his fireld of interest so he has to sacrifice somewhere..it is a great place to relocate! i have kids as well but my significant other lives there and he is very resourceful as well..Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
5,216 posts, read 7,240,424 times
Reputation: 14029
Unless he was very highly paid, it would be difficult to live off of one paycheck for a family of 4 there. There are cheap places but most people with young kids wouldn't want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin View Post
Hello..
My husband and I want to move from NC to MD with our 2 kids ages 4 and 2 months. He will be the one getting a job within the IT sector most likely PC TECH or Desktop support or Helpdesk... Being that he has a criminal past which will eliminate any chances for getting a job that requires secret clearance, I want to know if

1. There are jobs in his field that don't require a Secret Clearance.
2. Where would be the best place to move to find jobs without Secret Clearance
3. Would it be wise to move without a job first. (mainly because jobs are not looking at out of state hopefuls)
4. Would we survive off of his income only.

Thanks to all that help..

Also... we have no family in that area.
Southern MD is your best bet in my opinion... There are lots of IT jobs from PAX River NAS (Although less so for helpdesk/sys admin positions)...

Southern MD is less expensive than places near the city and is really a nice place to live with a great public school system...

I would absolutely not move without a job beforehand... EVERYWHERE in MD is extremely expensive make sure you are prepared for that... Living on solely your husbands salary unless he is some kind of IT hero is going to be extremely difficult to impossible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,825,508 times
Reputation: 466
Not only is it expensive but Maryland is plagued with gruesome commutes. So find the job then locate. You may want to rent first, and buy only after the job settles down and you learn about the areas. Maryland's communities vary widely. If you need help, keep posting or direct mail me and I can let you know more.

I'm not sure whether criminal past would or would not exclude him, need details. Also, IT is growing and help desk/PC support is on the lower end. He may want to beef up his skills. Does he have certifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Not only is it expensive but Maryland is plagued with gruesome commutes. So find the job then locate. You may want to rent first, and buy only after the job settles down and you learn about the areas. Maryland's communities vary widely. If you need help, keep posting or direct mail me and I can let you know more.

I'm not sure whether criminal past would or would not exclude him, need details. Also, IT is growing and help desk/PC support is on the lower end. He may want to beef up his skills. Does he have certifications?
This is all true...

Part of why I recommended Southern MD because it has lots of IT jobs but doesn't have the congestion issues that the city and direct suburbs have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
 
903 posts, read 3,364,768 times
Reputation: 602
I've checked on countless people who hold secret clearances with criminal records...it all depends on what it was, and how long ago it was. You won't believe how many! What was his record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: St. Michaels, MD
84 posts, read 214,135 times
Reputation: 42
The Eastern shore of Maryland is bery nice, laid back and relaxed and asafe place for children, Talbot, Carolin, Dorchester or Queen Anne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybeecosta View Post
The Eastern shore of Maryland is bery nice, laid back and relaxed and asafe place for children, Talbot, Carolin, Dorchester or Queen Anne.
No jobs there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Kernersville NC
23 posts, read 55,355 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Not only is it expensive but Maryland is plagued with gruesome commutes. So find the job then locate. You may want to rent first, and buy only after the job settles down and you learn about the areas. Maryland's communities vary widely. If you need help, keep posting or direct mail me and I can let you know more.

I'm not sure whether criminal past would or would not exclude him, need details. Also, IT is growing and help desk/PC support is on the lower end. He may want to beef up his skills. Does he have certifications?
Thanks for the responses...Yes he does have certifications (A+, Net +, and he is working on his server cert)
He always jokes about how he is the low man on the totem pole....
As for his criminal record he has a felony(drug conviction).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top