U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

102 posts, read 280,413 times

Advertisements

I'll politely address the issue. I understand noise is part of our living but playing music for hours outside, in front of another person's house is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM

160 posts, read 732,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Hand View Post
I disagree. Life is too short to "tolerate it". How much unnecessary stress would you be willing to tolerate? Its easier to say things like this when it's not happening to you. You don't understand all the circumstances.

What if he is studying during these hours or reading important material? If he wasn't home then it would be a moot issue. We as people have adopted this "tolerate it" mentality and this is one of the main reasons our Country is falling apart from within.

Choose the music genre you most hate (or atleast dislike greatly) and play it for 3 hours at the same clock time every day at normal volume levels for the next 3 months. I guarantee you will be unable to complete this exercise. It will seem and feel like torture faster than you think and will quickly lose all innocence. Nobody should be forced to listen to any type of unnecessary noise pollution.

-HH
Well, since I can't imagine ever living in a house 12 ft from my neighbor's house you may have a point in that I don't really know all the circumstances. That said, I would imagine if one chooses to live in a house 12 ft from the neighbor's house harmless teenage "noise pollution" is a given. They're just practicing, not selling crack or vandalizing the neighborhood. With colder weather coming in soon the "noise pollution" will be over, not gonna last for 4 hours a day for the next 3 months, unless they have spot lights and Eskimo suits. Kinda hard to dance in the dark all bundled up. Not a battle I'd choose to fight. Just my opinion though. Good luck to the OP and if you do decide to complain just make sure your kids walk a pretty straight line in case the girl's parents are the type to "get even".

Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM

671 posts, read 1,884,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi18 View Post
Well, since I can't imagine ever living in a house 12 ft from my neighbor's house you may have a point in that I don't really know all the circumstances. That said, I would imagine if one chooses to live in a house 12 ft from the neighbor's house harmless teenage "noise pollution" is a given. They're just practicing, not selling crack or vandalizing the neighborhood. With colder weather coming in soon the "noise pollution" will be over, not gonna last for 4 hours a day for the next 3 months, unless they have spot lights and Eskimo suits. Kinda hard to dance in the dark all bundled up. Not a battle I'd choose to fight. Just my opinion though. Good luck to the OP and if you do decide to complain just make sure your kids walk a pretty straight line in case the girl's parents are the type to "get even".
lol he probably lives in river hill.
i'd say get some ear plugs or somethin.
perhaps first politely mention it.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,512,858 times
I do understand how annoying this can be, but I still think it's part of the deal for people who choose to live in a subdivision where the houses are this close together. And I speak from experience; I live in a townhouse and have had to tolerate similar noise from the neighbors. The children in the house next door to me play the television loud enough in the morning that I can clearly hear it in my home office through the shared wall. I figure it could be a lot worse, and in fact has been, as the previous people who lived there played their stereo at high levels at all hours of the night. As long as the radio is set to a normal volume, and is being played during daylight hours, I would just accept it as part of living in a populated area.

Someday I hope to have a detached house on at least a quarter acre, but until that day comes I figure this is just one of the compromises that have to be made.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Someday I hope to have a detached house on at least a quarter acre, but until that day comes I figure this is just one of the compromises that have to be made.
I live in a detached house on 0.4 acre in River Hill (!). When looking for homes, I did everything I could think of to get a house away from potential noise sources. Well, in my 42 years of living this is the first time that I see kids dancing and playing music on a driveway. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Debi, I wish you were my neighbor so that I could create noise without worrying about neighbors.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
I live in a detached house on 0.4 acre in River Hill (!). When looking for homes, I did everything I could think of to get a house away from potential noise sources. Well, in my 42 years of living this is the first time that I see kids dancing and playing music on a driveway. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that.
I'm surprised that you live on almost a half acre, yet your house is 12 feet away from your neighbor's driveway. I'm glad I stumbled onto your post, though, as I will make sure I consider things like this if and when I find my next home.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:03 PM

janetvj,

When house-hunting, make sure you survey the area after school hours. I checked my current house 4 times on different days/hours but failed to do so after school hours. I was sure that my house was on one of the quietest lots...

Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
janetvj,

When house-hunting, make sure you survey the area after school hours. I checked my current house 4 times on different days/hours but failed to do so after school hours. I was sure that my house was on one of the quietest lots...
Thanks Chris-Kim - I appreciate your advice. It sounds like you did your homework. Of course, you can never tell about some things. I used to live next door to the greatest neighbors in the world, until they sold their house to an absentee landlord who now rents it out. I've had some real challenges to deal with since that happened.

I do hope things work out for you and you can once more fully enjoy your new place.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 AM

160 posts, read 732,703 times
Quote:
Debi, I wish you were my neighbor so that I could create noise without worrying about neighbors.
Chris, neighborhood noise pollution is probably the number one reason I choose to live on large acreage with my closest neighbor about 3 acres away. Honestly, if that type of noise bothers you that much maybe you should have done the same. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland