U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,968 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted here a while back but due to employment issues my start date was moved back. In the mean time I visited the area and really like Annapolis's downtown area. It also seems safe in general. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any nice and safe apartment complexes in the area? I don't really care how quick or good the management is, I just want to know that I'm safe (I know crime can happen anywhere, but we're moving from a fairly rough neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY so I'd like to have a piece of mind that I don't have currently) I know being close to downtown is expensive most likely, but that is what I would prefer.

I will be making $44,400 a year and I have no substantial debt. My partner does not have a job yet but is actively seeking employment in the area and will probably be making around 35K a year -- just so you know our finances. I don't care how much I pay in rent as long as the place is safe and close to the downtown region..

Any help is appreciated! Also, I haven't explored much of the other side, but what are apartment prices like on the Kent Island side of things and over the bridge? We've also discussed we wouldn't mind moving there if we found something we liked to rent for at least a year before buying a house.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 PM

919 posts, read 2,336,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngcouple48 View Post
Hi, I posted here a while back but due to employment issues my start date was moved back. In the mean time I visited the area and really like Annapolis's downtown area. It also seems safe in general. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any nice and safe apartment complexes in the area? I don't really care how quick or good the management is, I just want to know that I'm safe (I know crime can happen anywhere, but we're moving from a fairly rough neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY so I'd like to have a piece of mind that I don't have currently) I know being close to downtown is expensive most likely, but that is what I would prefer.

I will be making $44,400 a year and I have no substantial debt. My partner does not have a job yet but is actively seeking employment in the area and will probably be making around 35K a year -- just so you know our finances. I don't care how much I pay in rent as long as the place is safe and close to the downtown region..

Any help is appreciated! Also, I haven't explored much of the other side, but what are apartment prices like on the Kent Island side of things and over the bridge? We've also discussed we wouldn't mind moving there if we found something we liked to rent for at least a year before buying a house.

Thanks!
44k a year is really not enough to live anywhere in Annapolis... Even if your partner gets a job money will still be tight there... MD cost of living is ridiculous...

Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 PM

I'm not looking for anything mansion-like. Just a one or two bedroom apartment or townhome. Also, we've both only been out of college for a few months so our salaries are definitely going to progress (it's not like we hit our apex or anything).

And I completely understand the cost of living. Like I said, we're coming from Brooklyn where we pay $1870 plus utilities for a smaller two bedroom apartment in a not so nice, crowded area. I don't think we'll have too much of an adjustment moving to MD. Plus, we don't lead crazy, affluent lives (we're very frugal with our money, again because of living in NYC), so I think we can survive it. I've already looked around at the apartment complexes in Annapolis as well as some private townhome rentals in Annapolis and it seems to be quite affordable, especially coming from Brooklyn. I noticed many one bedrooms for $1300 and townhomes going for 1700 or below a month. We're just not sure what are "good" areas in Annapolis. Like I said, I'm tired of dealing with not being able to relax in my own place but still want a semi-urban feel. Annapolis seems like the best fit for us.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 75,856 times
Oakland Hills Apartments
614 Oakland Hills Dr # 100, Arnold, MD - (410) 974-0855. It's more suburban than city like. But very safe, like you won't get robbed if you leave the doors unlocked by accident. And, close enough to downtown Annapolis.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM

45 posts, read 182,974 times
Hi,

I'm not a resident but am looking as well, and this is what I'm told by area residents:

Stay away from Forest, West, and Clay Streets in Annapolis.

For the surrounding area, look in Cape St Claire, Arnold, Pasadena, Severna Park. Odenton, Crofton and Laurel are "bedroom communities" with mixed ratings, as is Edgewater (I was told it's a neighborhood of mansions and crackhouses).

I believe that it's possible to find some gems even in downtown Annapolis if you're comfortable in apartments, but you'll have to research outside of the passive rental sites. There are a lot of small property management companies in Maryland that service Annapolis but their properties either don't show on internet searches or get snapped up quickly by clients.

I have a friend that lives on Prince George Street. She rents a 2BR for $1200. She admits that she had to roach bomb the place liberally when first moving in, but since then has had no problems. She's on her own and doesn't drive...I think a place where a single female on foot feels safe is a pretty good indicator of safety.

If you're still looking, I can always ask my friend for suggestions on Annapolis apartment communities and condos. Since I'm looking for single family places, I don't pay much attention to apartments. She's told me about a few places.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Thank you for all the replies, and I definitely would love to hear back if you could ask around for me. Moving to a new area is both exciting and daunting. I appreciate any info you can relay back to me.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM

44 posts, read 101,453 times
Try westwinds apartments...alright place and the community is safe (inside the gates) plenty of police officers live there. Also you are close to downtown and the mall Just the area around it isn't the best

Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM

45 posts, read 182,974 times
Mariner Bay is a new complex, with what appears to be amazing apartments. I'd look at them. It's new, it's got shops, restaurants and the brand new Target & Whole Foods. Stone Point, 1901 West and Regatta Bay are others. Those are the "cookie cutter" places.

Also, Kent Island is a so-so trade off. Take into account the cost of commuting when the bridge toll is $2.50. It's also enough off the beaten path that it's going to take longer for the commute. But it's sooo much cheaper that I see why you'd want to consider it. I looked at a place there last month. The drive was definitely something to consider - you want to find out exactly where it is on the island and how far off the highway.

Lastly, careful with Craigslist, if that's one of your sources. It's so full of scams now that you might be getting an overly rosy idea of rental rates for the area. Take a look at Classifieds (www.hometownannapolis.com) for another source of (perhaps more realistic) rentals. More realistic than CL, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland