U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,121,071 times

Advertisements

Amazingly enough, my wife doesn't have any cousins working for that particular company, so can't help much.

She does say to warn you about the Allegheny Front, the big hill between Cumberland and Frostburg, with respect to winter driving, since you're moving north. Much more snow up on top (Frostburg and west) than in Cumberland and east. Garrett County gets snow comparable to some parts of upstate New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
What I meant by higher income residents are the doctors, lawyers, college professors, old money families, etc. There are not many of these folks in Allegany and Mineral Counties when compared to other areas of the state or country. If your family income is over 40k you are middle class here.

Based on what you describe, Cumberland would be a good fit. There are plenty of old affordable houses. If you have capital or the know-how to do the TLC yourself, you will make out well. As for neighborhoods, I would recommend West Side, Johnson Heights or Mapleside both in South End. These are the middle and upper class parts of town. There are plenty of livable blue-collar neighborhoods too, but if you can pay more than 100k you will probably make out better. There are some parts of town to avoid too. If you spot a street you are interested in, I can give you my opinion on them.

I don't know much about American Woodmark other than they have trouble finding local people to fill there jobs, which is why they bring in out of town people to work there. That is a good thing for you though as you will be working around both locals who can acculture you to the area and other transplants to share experiences and concerns with.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM

692 posts, read 1,541,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What I meant by higher income residents are the doctors, lawyers, college professors, old money families, etc. There are not many of these folks in Allegany and Mineral Counties when compared to other areas of the state or country. If your family income is over 40k you are middle class here.

Based on what you describe, Cumberland would be a good fit. There are plenty of old affordable houses. If you have capital or the know-how to do the TLC yourself, you will make out well. As for neighborhoods, I would recommend West Side, Johnson Heights or Mapleside both in South End. These are the middle and upper class parts of town. There are plenty of livable blue-collar neighborhoods too, but if you can pay more than 100k you will probably make out better. There are some parts of town to avoid too. If you spot a street you are interested in, I can give you my opinion on them.

I don't know much about American Woodmark other than they have trouble finding local people to fill there jobs, which is why they bring in out of town people to work there. That is a good thing for you though as you will be working around both locals who can acculture you to the area and other transplants to share experiences and concerns with.
ok thanks for the information. with the employment rate so high in this country, i wonder why they have trouble filling thier jobs? What is Ridgeley like? I noticed houses there seem inexpensive, although i would really like to have an older home that is livable and work on it at my own pace. Kinda handy that way.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM

Ridgeley is very blue-collar, but livable. Some of the houses there are pretty run down, but you will find this in alot of Cumberland neighborhoods too. You could explore it pretty easily if you come up to visit.

Cumberland is very isolated geographically and the economy has been down for about 60 years. Employers normally look for employees with a similar job experience and history and most Allegany County natives haven't had the opportunity to land those kinds of jobs.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Ridgeley is very blue-collar, but livable. Some of the houses there are pretty run down, but you will find this in alot of Cumberland neighborhoods too. You could explore it pretty easily if you come up to visit.

Cumberland is very isolated geographically and the economy has been down for about 60 years. Employers normally look for employees with a similar job experience and history and most Allegany County natives haven't had the opportunity to land those kinds of jobs.
what is north centre st like?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM

North Centre St. is the main non-highway route heading west. It is a busy street with a mix of residential, commercial, and a few underutlized industrial uses. Most of the buildings date from the late 19th and early 20th century, giving the street a really cool feel. Many of these buildings have been restrored, some are in disrepair, most are in between the two extremes.

Overall the street would be a good choice for someone who wanted easy walking access to amenities and recreation, didn't want to deal with a large yard, and could handle being close to heavy vehicluar and pedestrian traffic. There is some crime here, mostly based on it being a high traffic area and having lots of businesses, but it is not a dangerous place by any stretch. I walk day and night on the street often.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM

thank you sir....i appreciate the info you have provided so far.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM

what tv station do you watch for your local news and weather. i noticed direct tv has you in DC dma.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Cumberland cable gets NBC from Hagerstown, CBS from Washington, Baltimore, and Altoona, PA and ABC from Washington. The Hagerstown station is the closest to true "local news" on TV, but to get a feel for the real "Western Maryland" you need to read Cumberland Times-News - Homepage

Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM

very nice town............stayed at HI-downtown. ate at City Lights. great downtown area. kinda confusing on the streets and driving. Is that a super max prison out on 220? drove into south cumberland (nice neighborhood) and a couple of downtown streets. N centre is on the RR tracks so probably not interested in that area. i know there will be more questions so bear with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland