Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:44 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times

Advertisements

More likely so. There are a couple of prisons in Cumberland, although I don't know exactly where they are in Cumberland.

I believe the prison system is a significant source of employment in Cumberland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:56 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
WCI and NBCI are located in Cresaptown, just south of Cumberland of US-220. They are large employers and a frequent scapegoat for crime in the area. I think the prisons have some negative influences on the area (balanced by the good paying jobs) but the often repeated mantra that our town is being overrun by ex-cons and their families isn't backed up by the facts.

Ask me as many questions as you want. That is why I am here!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM

80 posts, read 257,623 times
I actually had a home on the property where American Woodmark is now the county bought it and had it torn down. Rawlings is a pretty decent area and so is La Vale. Not a whole lot of shopping or restaurants to chose from so many people go to Hagerstown,Altoona,Pa or Winchester,Va.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
WCI and NBCI are located in Cresaptown, just south of Cumberland of US-220. They are large employers and a frequent scapegoat for crime in the area. I think the prisons have some negative influences on the area (balanced by the good paying jobs) but the often repeated mantra that our town is being overrun by ex-cons and their families isn't backed up by the facts.
That's what I thought - thanks for the confirmation.

Well, the prisoners have to be housed somewhere...I don't believe Cumberland is a war zone. Just...a little behind on time. Still quite quaint.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
That's what I thought - thanks for the confirmation.

Well, the prisoners have to be housed somewhere...I don't believe Cumberland is a war zone. Just...a little behind on time. Still quite quaint.
please explain "a little behind on time"

Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Not much has happened in Western Maryland since the 1960s. Nearly all of the buildings and infrastructure date from this time and earlier. Many families still live in close proximity, small towns and neighborhoods are places where people know each other, whose related to who, where people went to school. Local issues are more important than national or global ones. Locals talk more about "the blanket lady" downtown, who plays Fort Hill this week, gossip from the neighborhood, the local birth announcements and obits, than they do about global warming, or the President's choice for the supreme court, or the destablization of Afganistan.

It is refreshing in many ways to still have places, like Allegany County, where residents have lived together for generations and still think of their home and sphere of interest on a local scale. Just don't expect to find an erudite population of globally thinking young professionals eager to change the world.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM

wow..............sounds just like what i am looking for.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 AM

what is cumberland street like?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Cumberland Street is very nice. I lived one block over during my high school days and loved it very much. It is located in the West Side and is primarily a middle/upper middle class street.. Almost all of the house are large and in good repair. You can walk downtown easily and it is about a 5 minute drive to the interstate. I would have loved to have looked there when I was house hunting, but it was a little out of my price range.

The only negative I can think of is that the lot size on alot of the houses is small, and some are located on pretty steep inclines which require either parking in the back or tromping up steps from the sidewalk. Definitely worth a look though.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
please explain "a little behind on time"
Westsideboy explained it all. It's fantastic you liked that ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland