Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM

39 posts, read 160,205 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just came back from viewing apartments in the area and am basically considering 2 buildings. One is in Bethesda (near the Bethesda Naval Hospital) and the other is in Arlington (near the Pentagon City metro). My main concern right now is what my commute will be. I'm from NYC and used the subway to get around and do not have a car. I will most likely get one but it won't be for maybe a few weeks after I have settled in. On google maps the distance to Tyson's Corner from both addresses is not bad but I have heard about DMV rush hour traffic. I am leaning towards the Bethesda address in hopes that my commute won't be as horrific...

My first question is, is there a bus that can take you from Bethesda to Tyson's? Someone mentioned that there used to be a bus route since there is no direct train service.

My other question is once I do get a car, what is the shortest commute for a 9-6 schedule from Bethesda? Would I have a better commute from Bethesda or Pentagon City or are they comparable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,144,769 times
So you are working in Tysons Corner?

Both of those locations sound like horrific commutes to me, and it is has been a while since I lived in DC and things have just gotten worse. My first preference if working in Tysons Corner would be to live in Tysons Corner. If not there and you are starting with public transport, I'd definitely stay on the same side of the river (Virginia) and preferably the orange metro line as you are already needing metro + bus to get where you are going. The two locations you propose would involve metro + line change + bus. Study this: Metro - Home page

Bethesda would give you the more variable commute, as there isn't really a way to do it without going on the Beltway, where traffic could be really awful or just bad.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 21,758 times
The traffic in both those areas (especially either direction on 495) is a disaster during rush hours. You may have more luck from Pentagon City since the metro is right there, but a bus ride will also take a significant amount of time. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,537 times
The commute times from Bethesda would almost certainly be worse than from Pentagon City to Tysons. You'll have to get over a bridge from Maryland to Virginia, and in rush hour these are jammed up. Especially from Maryland in to Virginia in the morning and the reverse in the evening, it seems that there are more people living in Maryland who work in Virginia than the other way around from what I've seen. It is not correct that driving from Bethesda will offer you more routes to Tysons (to put it bluntly), you will have far more options traveling from Pentagon City.

Pentagon City would give you faster public transit options, and it is basically a reverse commute from Pentagon City to Tyson's Corner so it would not be as bad as you might expect if you drive.

As for the comment that you would have to get on the Beltway (I-495) for either commute, the poster may not understand where Pentagon City is. You wouldn't have to get on I-495 at all with that commute. You will have a lot more options for driving, taking I-66 to Rt. 123, Rt. 29 to Gallows Rd., or any of a bunch of other secondary roads from Pentagon City than Bethesda. You may find that taking the GW Parkway out to I-495 and over to Tysons Corner may work but I'd try to avoid I-495 as the other posters mention, and you can if you commute from Pentagon City.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
I think in either case, you'll need to adjust your commute times to alleviate headaches. This may mean going in at 7 and trying to either leave early or wait out the traffic in the evening. I've never lived in the Pentagon City area - but I think the availability of the Metro gives you the advantage there.

From Bethesda, there are a few routes - but the one constant is crossing the American Legions Bridge... and that's where the backup is going to be. I used to do this commute (Potomac to McLean) - and what I did was to take local routes to Clara Barton, get onto 495 right at the bridge... but stay in right lane (exit only) and exit off onto Georgetown Pike, from there I would take local backstreets (swinks mill, lewinsville etc.) into the Tyson's area. My office was on Greensboro Drive right near Tysons II. That commute took me anywhere from 30 to 70 minutes.... at a commuting distance of 16 miles. And I would leave around 6:30am.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 30,679 times
You'll definitely being jammed up in the horrible traffice from Bethesda to Tysons from 9 to 6. If I were you...I'll just find a place near Tysons. Trust me...I used to commute from MD to VA daily for five years (about 3 hours each day in traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland