U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

Would someone compare Lenardtown with Lusby? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 AM

6,881 posts, read 4,303,902 times
Disclaimer: I don't live in the area, but I've travelled all around it many times on business, and talked to or overheard plenty of people who do live there.

In general, I find Lexington Park and Great Mills (the closest communities to Pax River) to be run down and feeling unsafe. And I've heard plenty of conversations to bolster this impression. (Just today, I overheard two people discussing a street shooting in their Great Mills neighborhood.) If you must live there, the areas along Pegg Road, Willows Road, and Chancellors Run Road appear somewhat nicer than the areas along Great Mills Road.

California seems nicer, plus that's where most of the chain retail is located. Leonardtown also seems nice, except for the area just to the north of Washington Street. The northern part of the county (Mechanicsville, Charlotte Hall) is mainly rural or small town.

In Calvert County, the Ranch Club (aka Chesapeake Ranch Estates) and White Sands are regarded as undesirable. They don't look too bad (not to me, anyway), but I've heard a lot more bad then good about them. Further north, Prince Frederick is pretty nice; but the commute to Pax River is pretty long from there.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 4,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you choose Calvert Co. you will have easy access to the PAX River Rec Center. Plenty to do there.
Really, there aren't many conviniences and especially if you're young then you will be alienated or just do stupid stuff because thats what all Calvert kids do since none of them have anything to do outside school or sports/activities.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,718,244 times
I do not live there, but have also traveled down and through the area many times. Usually from Rt 2, 4, or 5 to PAX or St. Inigoes.

Most of the area is rural except along the major roads where there is commercial sprawl. That goes for Waldorf area as well (I just pass through Waldorf, maybe buy cheap fuel).

I don't think anyone mentioned about what I love most about the area. The Water! The Chesapeake Bay and tidal tributaries are what I love about it. Point Lookout State Park is a jewel where the Potomac meets The Bay.

The Patuxent River also meets The Bay a bit further north.

If you are into boating, fishing, crabbing, birding, camping, nature, stargazing, fossil hunting, hunting, history, getting away from it all, this are is great. Heck who needs malls, shop online and enjoy yourself.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike G

Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 AM

28 posts, read 13,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
Many folks who work at the base live over the Pax River bridge in Calvert County so they can send their kids to the schools there which are pretty highly ranked throughout the state. However, you do have to put up with the hassle of the bridge during rush hour, and god forbid their is a wreck or a jumper and the two lane bridge is turned into a parking lot for hours on end.

I've met some folks who work at PAX living as far north as Dunkirk (Northern Calvert) because one spouse worked at PAX and the other worked in Washington DC and that was a good halfway split (plus very good schools). Depends if that is something you would need.
As someone who grew up in Dunkirk and had parents who successfully did this, I reccomend this, though I know I'm biased. But the schools are great and it's a safe area to live in and it really would be a good halfway split for you and your spouse. It's also a beautiful area in my opinion and it's got most everything you need in town though if you did need to go to the mall or city that wouldn't be too far either. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM

3,780 posts, read 5,346,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
. there is only 1 hospital for the ENTIRE county. that's scary. get a heartattack in lusby and you gotta drive 30 minutes to prince frederick.
I really don't know of ANY jurisdiction with the population size of Calvert County, that supports more than one hospital.

Charles County for example, has only one hospital, and it has 1.7 times the population of Calvert County.

Anne Arundel Co. I think has just two hospitals (correct me if I'm wrong), and it has 6.2 times the populaton of Calvert Co.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM

79 posts, read 52,018 times
I travel down there often for business.....I know a little something about this area.......but It's a place I would consider moving to especially if i had a job in Pax

The people are really laid back, you forget you are in Maryland...Everybody seems eager to help and not complain.....It sucks that you area about at least an hr from anything else...but thats something I would be able to deal with....

Ive considered going down there during my off time just to chill and see how things are away from the office.......I like it that much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or