Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 PM

65 posts, read 291,071 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're considering a civilian job at the Navy base, have zero experience with the east coast at all. It's my impression that Maryland is expensive.

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of whether there are any areas within a half-hour commute of the base that would be suitable for a young family on a budget? Looking for the usual--safety, decent schools, some green space, stuff for kids to do. Not sure whether we can afford the area, though; looking at a salary around $75K and we'd need to find a decent single-family 4-bedroom house for under $300K. Is Pax River doable for us or should we keep looking? We live fairly modestly but don't want to live hand-to-mouth in a place where the cost of living is too high.

Any comments would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM

924 posts, read 2,593,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_evans View Post
Hello,

We're considering a civilian job at the Navy base, have zero experience with the east coast at all. It's my impression that Maryland is expensive.

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of whether there are any areas within a half-hour commute of the base that would be suitable for a young family on a budget? Looking for the usual--safety, decent schools, some green space, stuff for kids to do. Not sure whether we can afford the area, though; looking at a salary around $75K and we'd need to find a decent single-family 4-bedroom house for under $300K. Is Pax River doable for us or should we keep looking? We live fairly modestly but don't want to live hand-to-mouth in a place where the cost of living is too high.

Any comments would be appreciated
With housing prices now you should be able to find something solid in the area...

Southern MD is really an awesome place to live... It is really safe, laid back feel and really good schools... However, there really isn't much for kids younger than 16 and there really isn't much for kids over 16 either but it bothered me a lot less once I got my license...

That being said there are two main options... St. Mary's county and Calvert County... If you live in Calvert you are going to have to commute over a two lane bridge that gets extremely backed up from time to time... The pros are that your kids will be zoned for Patuxent high school which in my opinion is the best High school in either county... All of the high schools in the area are good though...

If you want live in St. Mary's county I would look in the towns of California, Hollywood, Loveville, and Leonardtown... There are also some decent areas in Great Mills and Lexington Park that might be a little cheaper... You can also go further south in the county but it begins to get very rural at that point...

In Calvert try Lusby or Solomons...

There are also a ton more options than the towns I listed...

You would really have to try hard to find a bad place to live in Southern MD if you have any more questions let me know...

Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM

250 posts, read 1,373,018 times
With that sort of budget and price range the options are pretty wide. I live in southern maryland and I love it. One of the nice things about the Pax area is that because it is so far from DC, the prices are considerably more reasonable. Here's a list of properties within 15 min. or so of the base that are listed for less than $300k and have at least 4 bedrooms:

42 properties within 15 min. of PAX

Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,070,301 times
Many folks who work at the base live over the Pax River bridge in Calvert County so they can send their kids to the schools there which are pretty highly ranked throughout the state. However, you do have to put up with the hassle of the bridge during rush hour, and god forbid their is a wreck or a jumper and the two lane bridge is turned into a parking lot for hours on end.

I've met some folks who work at PAX living as far north as Dunkirk (Northern Calvert) because one spouse worked at PAX and the other worked in Washington DC and that was a good halfway split (plus very good schools). Depends if that is something you would need.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 42,025 times
Wow, I would say that Patuxent High School is not the best in Calvert, as a 31 year old life long citizen.... They are all decent, but the ranch club is no place to raise a child... Don't do the Ranch Club, or you're doomed... Go read the Baynet or Southern Maryland Online at the news stories out of Lusby, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM

311 posts, read 1,380,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeefsters View Post
Wow, I would say that Patuxent High School is not the best in Calvert, as a 31 year old life long citizen.... They are all decent, but the ranch club is no place to raise a child... Don't do the Ranch Club, or you're doomed... Go read the Baynet or Southern Maryland Online at the news stories out of Lusby, and you'll see what I mean.
eeefsters, is "the ranch club" you are referring to CRE? If so, what's so bad about it? Do you live there? (Not a smart-alecky, question, just really want to know).

Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 PM

834 posts, read 2,811,110 times
You can get lots of information here: Southern Maryland Onlineâ„¢ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.â„¢ including their Forum "Life in Southern Maryland"

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 20,983 times
MY HUSband IS IN THE MILITAY AND WE SHOULD BE TRANFER OVER TO PAX RIVER NAX BASE IN FEBRUARY. WE ARE YOuNG COUPLE, NO KIDS .IM planing going TO SCHOLL..what are the good areas for young couple to live ? .we are not party peoples,but we like to go out ..mall ,movies.I also would like to know about jobs in this areas ??Does anyone know if its worth work in D.c area ?We were planing to live half way from dc and pax river base.If anyone know amore the area .please let me know .Thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 AM

58,414 posts, read 26,740,768 times
If you choose Calvert Co. you will have easy access to the PAX River Rec Center. Plenty to do there.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 42,025 times
ELORIO, I wouldn't recommend Calvert County if you want malls and lots to do. Calvert's leaders are mostly against further growth, as are most of the citizens. I would recommend Waldorf if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland