U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM

3,563 posts, read 8,280,989 times

Advertisements

Any input would be appreciated. Columbia and the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM

102 posts, read 281,055 times
At first glance, everything looks neat and clean. But you'll soon find that everything looks fake because it's a planned town. I'm from Westchester, NY, where every house and every street corner has a character. In Columbia, everything looks the same. Even trees look the same.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

298 posts, read 919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
At first glance, everything looks neat and clean. But you'll soon find that everything looks fake because it's a planned town. I'm from Westchester, NY, where every house and every street corner has a character. In Columbia, everything looks the same. Even trees look the same.
That's funny but true. I find it hard to find places there because everything is hidden in the trees.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM

332 posts, read 1,169,934 times
What specifically on Columbia are you interested in? Cost, walkability, schools, cultural? What are the key attributes that interest you. If you do not like the concept of a planned community and HOA communities then for the most part you will not like Columbia. I'm new to Columbia and discovering different streets and parts everyday. Most of Columbia is nice and neat and overall it is very family friendly and walkable. It is not cheap however and everything cost extra on top of your HOA fees. If you want old historic homes, you will not find that here most of Columbia's housing stock is 1960's and later.

I grew up in a planned community and really enjoyed the community, walking to pools, friends close by, sidewalks every where, playgrounds, tennis, basketball, soccer, etc. and I get a similar feel in Columbia.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 34,206 times
Boring. Nothing to do but go to big box retail stores or the mall (or as Columbia calls it, the "town center").

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM

3,563 posts, read 8,280,989 times
I am looking for good schools, safe neighborhood, newer housing, dont like HOAs but I guess they are unavoidable.
Currently in Fairfax VA and wondering if Columbia is just as nice.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 PM

332 posts, read 1,169,934 times
I can't compare to Fairfax but Howard County has good schools and it is pretty safe. You do have petty crime and sometimes more serious, after all it is sandwiched between DC and Baltimore but for the most part it is safe. Also, there are alot of schools here so you could live in Columbia and go to Clarksville or Ellicott City schools and vice-a-versa. Based off of test scores Ellicott City and Clarksville have better schools but overall Columbia has good schools as well. If you go to the howard county public school site you can see test scores. Columbia, has a vast range of incomes and has more than its share of lower income people/free or reduce lunch, therefore its scores are typically lower than other schools. I'm not sure if that means that they are better or that lower income people generally score worst on standardized test. I really wish they would break the scores down by race and income. Currently, I think you can get test scores by race or income not both.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,949,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I am looking for good schools, safe neighborhood, newer housing, dont like HOAs but I guess they are unavoidable.
Currently in Fairfax VA and wondering if Columbia is just as nice.
I lived near Columbia, currently living in Fairfax. You're basically looking to live as far away from ghetto conditions as possible. If that's what you're looking for, it's my opinion that Columbia is better than Fairfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or