Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 24,309 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Arizona, and I'm at a toss between Seattle , or Maryland? I'm so sick of the Arizona desert, the extreem heat. I'm leaning more towards Maryland simply because I have a few relatives there and it's close to New York. However I love gray skys and rain ... After living in Phoenix for 15 years.. I'll take cloudy rainy days over Phoenix any day.
Seattle is ideal for this type of climate. I just want to know if Maryland is in anyway comparable?

Another reason I'm leaning more towards Maryland DC Metro, is for the diversity. Arizona has "NONE". Seattle seems a little bland also. but i'll save that for another thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 AM

44 posts, read 158,403 times
We get plenty of cloudy and/or rainy days in Maryland but if you look at the weather statistics for both areas you will see that we get WAY more sun than Seattle (that's not difficult!). Also, it is very humid heat in the summer and you will be wishing you were in Seattle during July and August when they have beautiful blue skies and relatively dry days in the 70s or 80s and it is 90s with 90% humidity here in the DC area! Having said that, both cities are known for a "liberal" bent and lots of arts and culture and are surrounded by beautiful outdoor spaces. I imagine that the traffic in Seattle is bad, but I doubt it is quite as horrible as the traffic here in the DC metro area (third worst in the nation after LA and SF bay areas). So...it all comes down to making a list of pros and cons for both places and then making a choice...Good Luck!

Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDVISION View Post
I currently live in Arizona, and I'm at a toss between Seattle , or Maryland? I'm so sick of the Arizona desert, the extreem heat. I'm leaning more towards Maryland simply because I have a few relatives there and it's close to New York. However I love gray skys and rain ... After living in Phoenix for 15 years.. I'll take cloudy rainy days over Phoenix any day.
Seattle is ideal for this type of climate. I just want to know if Maryland is in anyway comparable?

Another reason I'm leaning more towards Maryland DC Metro, is for the diversity. Arizona has "NONE". Seattle seems a little bland also. but i'll save that for another thread.
If you want general overcast with some rain, consider upstate NY.

In Md, it's seasonal....meaning all 4 seasons, so no time of the year can be labeled as always overcast and rainy.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 PM

41 posts, read 178,018 times
I'm sure that compared to Arizona it rains quite a bit in MD, too much for my liking in fact. But if you love cloudy, rainy days, I still think you might be happier somewhere else. From what I've heard, Seattle has plenty of rainy days, and if you're looking for somewhere on the East Coast I'd try upstate New York or something. Maryland isn't a desert or anything, but if you're super excited about moving somewhere with a whole lot of rain, MD probably isn't your best choice.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM

150 posts, read 595,931 times
Coming from Arizona I think you would be more than satisfied with the amount of rain in MD, or Seattle. Here in MD it rains an average at least once a week (some weeks have no rain others have 5 straight days of rain) during the Spring Summer and Fall. In the Winter it rarely rains, either it's snow or nothing it seems.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM

87 posts, read 333,572 times
What you like is exactly what I don't like about the weather here! you can have no sunshine for days.... We do have four seasons but it seems that when it rains, it rains... spring, fall, winter. I like sunshine. I think this grey weather is depressing.
But what you do have is a variety of scenery! I have heard people call it "little America" because it has everything but the desert. Forests, mountains, streams, lakes, the ocean, beaches, bay, rolling hills, country settings, cities and all four seasons.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:48 PM

315 posts, read 767,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDJJ View Post
What you like is exactly what I don't like about the weather here! you can have no sunshine for days.... We do have four seasons but it seems that when it rains, it rains... spring, fall, winter. I like sunshine. I think this grey weather is depressing.
Thank you DDJJ - I was thinking the same thing while reading the other replies.

To the original poster, if you like gray skies, you'll love MD. I think we must get 3 weeks total every year of non-gray skies. It's pathetic...Summer-gray, Fall-gray, Spring-gray and winter...fuhgettaboutit! Gray and dreary and completely depressing! The gray skies know no seasons in MD.

To each his own, but for this very reason I am counting down the days until I can get the heck out of here!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,850 times
hey i live in louisiana and im about to move to maryland, im going to be a sr in highschool next year and i dont know if i should stay or finish in maryland. . . id love some input

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times
What will get you here will be the summer humidity.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM

106 posts, read 300,883 times
I think you'll like MD. As others have said you get some of everything. I disagree with the statement that we get 3 weeks of non-grey skies. One of the things I like about this area is we get a mixture of everything. Sure....the humidity is killer in July and August, but just when you think you'll jump off the end of the Chesapeake Bridge the weather will let up. Yeah...we'll get a week or two of what seems like straight rain...then things will dry up so much that we start praying for a little rain. Our seasons also fluctuate. Heck...just a couple of years ago we touched 70+ degrees in December. What can I say. You get a mixture of everything. Heat, Rain, Snow and you also get those perfect days where you can wear your stylish leather jacket and peep-toe shoes, or throw on a pair of shorts.

I love it!

~Dee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland