Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM

59 posts, read 168,165 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about Kent Island? All the benefits of Eastern Shore, and still just minutes from Annapolis metropolitan area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 AM

54 posts, read 187,624 times
I live near a chicken farm and have to say, it doesnt smell. There hasnt been a day in the 4 yrs that I lived here that we have smelled the farm. But then again, they keep it clean and the houses are very up to date.

This is the view from my front deck - as you can see the farms are across the road.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/bsc_siege/storm61608.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 PM

168 posts, read 672,382 times
You may want to get your story straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers333 View Post
I live near a chicken farm and have to say, it doesnt smell. There hasnt been a day in the 4 yrs that I lived here that we have smelled the farm.
Yet in another similar topic(in the DE forum) you contradict yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers333 View Post
I live across the street from 3 large chicken houses. The only times I ever smell them is when they have just been cleaned out and the wind is blowing in the direction of my house.
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but something as common on the shore as chicken farm odor will likely be a deal breaker for most. Remember, someone may be taking your advice about a certain area. Its not polite to waste the time of others to try and prove you're right.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Bottom line is this:
If you move to a rural area expect to run in to smells, dust, slow moving farm equipment, having to drive for shopping and, probably, a small job market plus all the other things that go with a rural area like hunting.
If the above are deal breakers for you, then don't move there. Especially don't move and expect the farmers, and on the Shore the watermen, to change for you. It won't happen and you'll only make yourself unhappy.
Similar things have happened in Southern MD so much so that the local County Commissioners had to pass "Right to Farm" laws because new residents kept suing the farmers for doing usual farming practices. In my town new folks have asked the Town Council to ban fishing and crabbing off shore.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 232,170 times
In Talbot Co. I had to sign a farming form at closing. It was something about farmers having the right to farm land and that you may encounter their smell, etc. There really isn't much of a chance of that happening where I live but it still had to be signed.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM

38 posts, read 111,056 times
My husband and I are in our 40s and will be relocating to Queenstown, near Kent Island, next March.
It will be a good move for us.
We hate Montgomery Co and the traffic and Type A people who are always in a hurry and see right thru you.
We dont shop at big box stores and rarely go to malls.
We spend our time gardening, reading and attending book groups, bird watching, kayaking, hiking, being active in our UU church and attending live music concerts at small venues like Ramshead in Annapolis and the Mainstay in Rock Hall.
There is alot to do here if you like what we do.....I think it depends on your age and where you are in your life....I lived on Cape Cod for 5 years so I love the peace and quiet and the beauty of a coastal community...I hate crowds and noise and dirt...We plan on spending alot of time in Chestertown and Easton and St. Micheals.
If you like more mainstream and commercial city fun with alot of bars and drinking, Ocean Sh..tty probably has what you want....Its packed with people.
Otherwise you might be bored.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM

54 posts, read 187,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
You may want to get your story straight.

Yet in another similar topic(in the DE forum) you contradict yourself.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but something as common on the shore as chicken farm odor will likely be a deal breaker for most. Remember, someone may be taking your advice about a certain area. Its not polite to waste the time of others to try and prove you're right.
This is very rare indeed. A few times maybe I get a whiff of them but the wind has to be coming right from them when the doors are opened after cleaning. The wind very rarely comes that way and for the timing to be perfect .... I should play the lottery on those days. LOL

Honestly, I cant remember the last time I smelled them. Maybe it doesnt bother me because we used to live next door to a horse farm before here - I dont know. But the chicken houses near me are newer, kept up to date and maybe that has something to do with it. I am not a farmer so I cant tell ya why. Sure, there are some run down ones that I have driven by that stink. I am fortunate that these do not. So just because there are some in your area doesnt mean you'll gag every day you walk out the door.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM

41 posts, read 178,053 times
The Eastern Shore is pretty nice. A little too rural for my taste, but if you're into the whole peace and quiet thing it's really nice. The beaches are gorgeous and the weather's pretty good (can get pretty humid, but overall it's not bad). I've also noticed that, in my experience, the people on the Eastern Shore tend to be a little more friendly and hospitable than those of us on the mainland. Again, that's just my experience, but I think you'll find the people to be really polite and friendly.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 AM

84 posts, read 241,507 times
Default How is Easton MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalg View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning out where we want to relocate to from Massachusetts, and are considering either eastern MD or eastern DE. We just need to get away from our New England winters! We are thinking of maybe living somewhere in the southeast section of the state, and would love any input as to how it would be to live there.

What is the weather like, how are the people, how calm/fast paced is it there (we're not really big city kind of people), and how is the job market? I am a dental assistant, so hopefully there are dental offices all over. Also, if you have any Delaware info to consider as comparison that would be great! Thank you so much!
Easton is lovely and safe and has wonderful people, from all different areas. Very mild winters (this year was not normal with the snow). Been her 30 years and would never leave, came from Western MD mountians bad winters.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM

12 posts, read 76,113 times
krystalg Willards is nice but there is nothing to do there, you need to drive by and check it out for yourself. I found the people in Wilards to be friendly and they actually waved unlike other places on the Eastern Shore. The Eastern Shore is an emotionally complex place to deal with, and to really understand what this area is about you need to come and stay for a good while. I kid you not you need togive yourself at least two years to really put it all together. The first year you just wont really have nothing more than a clue, then the second years end you will start being able to put it together. This is my experience and I think I can say that for most people who move here except for college students because they are immersed in their own world. But if you are a stranger here and have no support outside your family that you move here with, and no one to guide you on a regular basis on how this place will work then you had better really research this place. Most transplants I know who are here hate it, white, black, male, female, educated, and not so educated regret moving here and want to get the hell out. Another thing if you guys move here and decide that you're not comfortable being here dont hesitate, dont stutter about leaving, my suggestion to you would be to run not walk but run the hell away as fast as you can before this place artifically grows on you. This city (unless you know somone or the Lord is with you) I'm talking about Salisbury in this case, this city has nothing to really offer a new person economically, and they love to hire young white college females, even if they are not hiring they will make a job for them....LOL! I have seen it many times over and I've been living in Salisbury since Jan'07 before that Ocean Pines. I love Ocean Pines, West O.C. and Delaware. I would look into Rehobeth Beach of Dover if I were you. Dover may not be the most happening city either but I run out there a lot and the people are better, there is more life out there and I'm considering moving there myself. Well anyway thats my two cents I hope that I helped you somewhat just remember you will ultimately need to come down and check out the area for yourself, and try to interact with the locals. The Eastern Shore is not a bad place just very different, displaced from what most of us would call normalacy, and the main thing is the job situation here. If they had jobs you can kind of blow off the rest of the severe faults of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland