Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 24,412 times

Advertisements

Questions. So many questions.
1.Where to live?
There are so many nice places.

2.Who can assist me?
There must be agencies and organizations.

3.What should I expect?
I'm sure it's not like Las Vegas.

4.Why wouldn't I want to live there?
Is there something I should know?

5.When I do finally arrive, what can I do to not just fit-in, but become a part of the community?
I have a lot left to offer.

Look, in a nut-shell...I'm 45(ish), and ecstatically connected to 50-something(ish) Puerto-Rican ring-master who has become very good at securing her reigns, (thank goodness). At any rate, we are coming to Maryland to begin helping others with an idea we've been working on for almost 10 years now. So if you're in a position to offer any advice, or opportunities to a mature, well-meaning couple with plans of helping others learn how to help themselves, this is your chance to help US.

Hopefully...together we can help more than just ourselves.

Thank you in advance, Darryl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,081 times
Lets start with a budget.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,160 times
1. That depends on where/if you work. Do you like City/Town/Country lifestyle.

2. Assist with what aspect?

3. That really depends on where you end up and your current perceptions.

4. There are a boatload of reasons why not, but many are subjective, and I'm sure many folks here could give a plethora of positives; most, pro or con, are dependent on your POV.
[As an aside I'll give a positive & a negative about dealing with the State Gov.
I was born in MD some 40 odd years ago and although my mother claims to have given me my birth certificate I have been unable to find it. So I went online last Friday and followed the steps to get a replacment. It was a very easy process and I received it yesterday. The negative. I hold a professional certification in three states, MD, VA & WV. The renewal process for MD ranks #2 with VA being #1. But a few years ago when I went through an upgrade procedure MD was the slowest at responding and the worst at customer service (Really, really poor service and rude.) I know these are anecdotal. If I was considering this question personally, first I would review state law, as much as possible, then cost of living and at that point if I still wanted to be in MD and picked a general location within the state I would compare expected income and housing expense.]

5. The community knit varies by location, each with some unique opportunities. But most areas have enough typical community orginizations with opportunities to serve while getting to know your neighbors. I can't imagine that MD is different than where you are now.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Thanks...I guess. Of course appreciate ALL responses, but I am really looking for the kind of advice that "Grandpa Walton" would give "John Boy". You know...real...good...pragmatic advice.
I'm just a good, God-fearing, hard-working man with aspirations of trading in what life I have now for the one that will help others reach for theirs.
I like the sound of 100-thousand, (pop), but smaller is fine. Perhaps the fact that some might refer to me as a "liberal" democrat would help in any advice about location.
Also, don't be shy to ask any questions you might have.
Thank you.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,241 times
You said "I was born in MD some 40 odd years ago..."

Ummm...it's an entirely different place, I've lived here for more than the time that you left.

$100,000 in assets or income ain't getting you very far in this state.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
You said "I was born in MD some 40 odd years ago..."

Ummm...it's an entirely different place, I've lived here for more than the time that you left.

$100,000 in assets or income ain't getting you very far in this state.
I didn't go far, just about 3 miles across the river to freedom. I still occasion MD as we have friends and family in various places throughout the state, but only rarely because of the changes you speak of.
Yes, I agree $100k assests doesn't get much anywhere within 50miles of DC.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl D View Post
I'm just a good, God-fearing, hard-working man ... some might refer to me as a "liberal" democrat ....
Looks like MD may be a good fit.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 AM

Thakns.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,193 times
Blue collar man?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM

45 posts, read 199,653 times
I think the 100K reference is for population...unless I missed it someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland