Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 107,377 times

Advertisements

Alright, I've read through most threads with Columbia in them. Hopefully someone can help narrow down my specific needs:

I may be taking a job at JHU/APL and need to narrow down where to settle down.

So far after reading, I've gotten

Eldersburg
Sykesville
Hampstead
Ellicott City

I've got a family of 4 with a 12 year old and 4 year old girls. Must have good, safe schools and neighborhood friendly. We're not too big on 'city' and we're not to big on 'necks. (I'm from Walkersville back when it was neckish...been there, done that). Also, avoiding the so called 'yo' factor would be nice too. Quaint, quiet, around 15 minutes to box stores, etc would be good.

I like to golf and fish, so having that in proximity would be good. And being from Walkersville, I'd like to be more west and north of Columbia rather than go south or east to keep that drive shorter.

My wife likes downtown walks to coffee shops (historic rhode island, much?) but I think the quaint safety factor would play into that. We really don't go out much, so a night life is unnecessary. However, a local brewery/pub/brew house would really be nice.

So, the city's / town listed are what I've gotten so far to look into. Please let me know if there are any others I have missed or one of the above that fits what I need more than not.

I really appreciate it guys...I know the repetition of answering the same questions over and over is annoying, but I need the specialized help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 AM

79 posts, read 416,715 times
Hi,

We are basically in the same boat as you but have got 4 kids from ages 17 down to 3 years old. I am also trying to get the same info as you and for the same cities and without much feedback. Have you learned anything yet about this area?
I am especially interested in finding out about high scchools and middle schools. We live in Wilmington De (YUCK!) and I am afraid we will get stuck in the same type of housing market....expensive! Homes here are $400K + for a four bdrm and these homes are 40+ years old and need major renovations.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 AM

I had my interview up there and was given the choice location inside the Centennial High School district in Ellicott City.

I haven't heard anything from anyone on here yet in the ways of this thread, but I will post what area/zip code I have gotten for it.

yards, older homes, but great school district, friendly, etc. everything that's hard to find is in this little area. i'll post it later.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Ellicot City has a old feel to it with a very young vibe from so many young professionals living their. You can't go wrong with either Columbia, Sykesville, Clarksville, or Ellicot City. Seriousily all are pretty much great because if you have a car you go to the other parts and you can drive into DC/Baltimore to experience the city feel and leave at the end of the day.

I live in Columbia and I LOVE IT because I can walk and not feel threatened and the scenery is just beautiful. Plus you have access to parks, restaurants (although chain), great shopping, and good schools. You can't loose with Columbia. The only drawback that I have is that they need to add more Bike and Walking paths to connect everything together because so many people enjoy walking. As far as fishing goes Columbia is great because you can head out to Annapolis/Chesapeake which is only 20-30 minutes away.......

Old 05-19-2007, 06:16 AM

alrighty...here's the info I've gotten:

Centennial 21042

Dunloggin/Centennial.

between centennial lane (west) south of rt 40 and Rt 29 (east) kinda like the top of a square

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,203 times
I live near Dunloggin- it's a great neighborhood. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods nearby are very nice, clean and safe and the schools are great.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,616 times
We used to live in Ellicott City, and liked the convenience of being close to stores and shopping. However, the traffic was getting to be bad (ok, nothing like it is near DC) and we wanted to get a single family home with a bit of yard instead of the townhouse we had in EC. In terms of Ellicott City - there are many things to recommend it - (the Centennial/Dunloggin neighborhood is great) low crime, convenient shopping and restaurants, easy access to Baltimore and DC. My husband works at APL and his commute from our house was about 15 minutes down Rt. 29. We now live in Eldersburg and found a lovely, newish (1994) 4 BR single family house for $400,000 in a GREAT neighborhood. We LOVE living here. Although shopping is not as convenient as it was in EC (you have to go to Westminster (about 20 minutes away) for many of the major stores) there is Walmart, Home Depot, Kmart, Kohls, and lots of little neighborhood stores so you can easily find all of the essentials. The people are friendly and nice, crime is low, and traffic is great. My husband's commute from here to APL went up to about 35 minutes going down Rt. 32. Lots of fishing possibilities in the area (I don't play golf, so I can't help you there). I can't say enough good things about Eldersburg - I am very glad we moved here. Let me know if you have any other questions. By the way, the schools are great in both Howard County (Ellicott City) and Carroll County (Eldersburg).

Last edited by Gabrielle; 05-25-2007 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM

119 posts, read 610,710 times
I agree, can't go wrong with any of these places...be careful of your commute getting too bad--108/32 can be not very fun. Hampstead might be pushing it a little. Enjoy HoCo, it's a great place

Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks Gabrielle. For cost savings, 30 miles/minutes isn't bad at all. I've also been recommended Woodstock, in the Marriotts Ridge school district. Any ideas?

What school system is the good one in eldersburg?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:02 PM

alright, we're pretty much looking in the eldersburg / woodstock area now.

I noticed mixed reviews on schools in the area. are there any elementary or high schools to stay away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland