Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

What's this thing with a 12-month school year for kids in Raleigh? Am I reading this wrong?!?!?!?!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 AM

24 posts, read 84,888 times
autimom... the schools in SC are under TREMENDOUS ammounts of pressure to meet those scores! We lived in Charleston for 4 years and my girlfriend taught in the Rock Hill / Lancaster area and in Charleston and the schools are VERY concerned with their scores because they're so low! And the graduation rates too! In fact, my brother and I (both from Montgomery County) feel like we weren't under as much pressure, as compared to my girlfriend who is from there and is a product of the schools (and taught there recently too) and says that the curriculum and the education here is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than those in SC! And she's a native and she had first-hand expericnce. The teachers are put under a LOT of pressure to make those kids and their scores improve that they focus solely on the scores and tests and abandon material that should otherwise be covered, whereas that still happens here, but they teach other things in the curriculum too!

If you're going to put your kids in the God-awful, hideous and failing schools there, then York District 3 is the best option. Charlotte schools are horrible too, so the options aren't that great. Raleigh, however, has descent schools, but they're nothing like those in MD...

Hope this helps...

Let me know if you have any questions, and we will be glad to answer them...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 AM

119 posts, read 610,690 times
My parents (Howard County) are leaving in a few years because of BGE/property taxes/traffic. They are moving to half time in Garrett County and half time in rural Florida. I am already in Florida for school and am trying to stop them...they won't know what to do with themselves without professional sports, good shopping, etc. Maryland stops seeming so bad once you live out in the cheap sticks. You get what you pay for. For what it's worth, a lot of Floridians are moving to NC to get away from the "yankees" invading Florida, but I don't know any Marylanders leaving for NC.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash731 View Post
My parents (Howard County) are leaving in a few years because of BGE/property taxes/traffic. They are moving to half time in Garrett County and half time in rural Florida. I am already in Florida for school and am trying to stop them...they won't know what to do with themselves without professional sports, good shopping, etc. Maryland stops seeming so bad once you live out in the cheap sticks. You get what you pay for. For what it's worth, a lot of Floridians are moving to NC to get away from the "yankees" invading Florida, but I don't know any Marylanders leaving for NC.
LOl Yankees are invading Maryland and North Carolina! Both. Native people in Maryland and Virginia are very friendly but its the newcomers, most of them from the New York and Philly areas, give us a bad name and have changed so much in this area, in DC especially and around Baltimore to a lesser extent. But we also have a lot of people moving here from parts of Pennsylvania besides PHilly and they're pretty decent, pleasant folks.

Maybe New Yorkers should really think about what is it about them that makes people want to avoid them?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
Terp lets not start a world war!
I have to agree with what you said. This area is getting a lot of transplants, and the culture of most of this area has changed dramatically. My mother always referred to New Yorkers as "uncoithed" people, I guess because being down here most of our lives its' a shock to go somewhere else more aggressive and fast paced. Sadly, we are turning into the northern culture of overcrowding, aggressive, fast paced... Even natives will turn agry with frustration and discomformt from the crowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland