Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 PM

897 posts, read 2,452,754 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has any experiences between Western NY and Maryland. I want to see what is similar and different about the two areas. I am currently living in Rochester, NY and want to make a transition to Maryland. I am looking to see if people that have lived in both area's can give me a little perspective. The area of experiences can be about culture, food, diversity, education, and other activities. Thanks to all that reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM

114 posts, read 866,296 times
Smile Western NY to Maryland

Hello,
I just moved from Buffalo to College park, Maryland. It's a huge difference, but its great in Maryland. The weather is much warmer and summers are hot here. Winters are much milder, nothing compared to the severe weather in Western NY. Also there is lots to do in the area. Lots of great theatres and cultural places to visit. There's DC close, virginia and NY city just 3 hrs. away. There are lots of restaurants: ethnic, american and every food imaginable. Columbia area in maryland has the best school systems. And the uni. of maryland is a highly ranked uni. So overall, maryland is much better than rochester. There's so much happening here and at the same time, there a quite parks and quite areas to live in. I am so glad I moved from Buffalo to Maryland.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,723,898 times
It depends where in MD you are going to. Like Baltimore isn't anything like western ny, but frostburg could easily fit into western NY as a very small town

Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM

Probably near D.C. area. I was looking at Gaithersburg and Silver springs area. I don't think I would live any further than Columbia.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 PM

minusach thanks for the advise.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM

33 posts, read 201,610 times
If you love bagels and NY style corned beef hash, you'll be disappointed. <;-D But there are other great foods.

In the DC-Metro area, be prepared for sticker shock. Housing is very expensive compared to Rochester (which I was, coincidentally, looking into last night). Taxes are higher than on the Va. side of the Beltway, but not as high as NY state. City Data can definitely help you sort that out. I would take a look at the Washington Post classifieds and Craigslist to get a feel for rents and real estate costs (2 expenses which, coincidentally have me looking at Western NY).

I live inside the Beltway (DC) and it's a very diverse population -- white, black, latino, SE asian and middle eastern. It's densely diverse.

Education options are numerous -- lots of private and parochial schools in the area in addition to public. For higher ed, again, broad range of options including solid community college system, extension campuses of Johns Hopkins; George Washington University and Georgetown in DC; and of course, U of MD. (Yay Terps!)

One thing to consider if you're going to be a renter -- I feel, after having lived in NY and Pa., that Maryland's landlord-tennant laws overwhelmingly favor the landlords, with the exception of some pockets like Takoma Park, where there is rent stabilization. "Montgomery County" -- google it -- and you'll find links to the County website where you can get the housing code and landlord-tennant handbook online.

Montgomery Co. is more liberal, politically, in general, than surrounding counties of Maryland. Great public library system, btw, with interlibrary loans possible from other counties in Md if MontCo doesn't have what you want.

If you want to know more about music, theatre, and other activities, good sources include Washington Post's Weekend, Metro, Arts sections; Washington City Paper; Baltimore City Paper; and the Silver Spring Gazette.
All of these are available online.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 02:00 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM

143 posts, read 868,762 times
I know someone from that part of NY and moved to Westminster, MD. This family likes Westminster alot. This is in Carroll County, by the way.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM

209 posts, read 604,826 times
Default RE: NY vs Md

Hi,
I lived up in WNY for college, in Buffalo, and also in a small town near Olean for a while. I hated the weather! I found it really depressing, and after college, decided not to stay even though it was a cheaper area to live in. I have lived in western Virginia for two years and am now moving to DC. From my experience, VA/MD is MUCH better than WNY. People are generally more progressive, the weather is as good as California (ie, you actually have four--count em, four!--seasons, it's much sunnier, there is a lot more culture, and, it's very southern and friendly. People aren't in as much of a hurry and actually smile and say hello. Also, there is a lot more to do (and, it's actually doable, as there is a real fall, spring, and summer). There are moutains, state parks, accessible resorts for skiing, etc. I'd say, it's much more fun, but that's only my opinion. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM

265 posts, read 1,060,043 times
I wouldn't do it or at least I wouldn't choose Maryland. I am originally from Rochester and have lived in the Bethesda/DC area for over 15 years, and to be quite honest, I hate it, I am just hanging in until I reach a certain landmark in my federal government employment. It's crowded, expensive, a rat race, the summers (and often periods in spring and fall as well) are VERY humid, rude (e.g., no concept of courteous customer service), and I could go on. Not that I haven't met some good people here and it is definitely an international and cosmopolitan place, which can be broadening. But I miss the pleasant summers in WNY, I don't mind winter and winter sports, I find the people friendlier there (it's rather Midwestern to me), and while the employment outlook is often not as good as in DC/MD (my WNY relatives complain about how their state does not have a good business climate), housing is more affordable. For example, you can find some lovely houses with historical character for not much money. Taxes are bad in both states. Granted, most of my experience has been in the greater DC/Baltimiore area (where most of the professional jobs are), not other areas. Good luck.

Last edited by Tuneful; 08-23-2007 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 AM

54 posts, read 255,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
I wouldn't do it or at least I wouldn't choose Maryland. I am originally from Rochester and have lived in the Bethesda/DC area for over 15 years, and to be quite honest, I hate it, I am just hanging in until I reach a certain landmark in my federal government employment. It's crowded, expensive, a rat race, the summers (and often periods in spring and fall as well) are VERY humid, rude (e.g., no concept of courteous customer service), and I could go on. Not that I haven't met some good people here and it is definitely an international and cosmopolitan place, which can be broadening. But I miss the pleasant summers in WNY, I don't mind winter and winter sports, I find the people friendlier there (it's rather Midwestern to me), and while the employment outlook is often not as good as in DC/MD (my WNY relatives complain about how their state does not have a good business climate), housing is more affordable. For example, you can find some lovely houses with historical character for not much money. Taxes are bad in both states. Granted, most of my experience has been in the greater DC/Baltimiore area (where most of the professional jobs are), not other areas. Good luck.

I completely agree! I lived in Niagara Falls and Rochester from 90-00. I now live in Baltimore because my husband was laid off in Rochester (he's a software engineer) and this is where he found a job. It wasn't too bad initially, but prices are escalating and it's becoming more and more crowded.

While you're googling --check out BRAC. It's the military base realignment that is going to bring a lot more people to an overcrowded area.

Crime is a major problem and housing is unaffordable-$300K for a starter home!

Yeah, there are jobs for educated people. IMO, they do not pay enough to help with the high cost of living.

You may be close to NYC, Philly and DC but it can be a very vexing trip depending on weather, time of day and traffic conditions. Remember, lots of people turns everything into a major ordeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland