U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 AM

53 posts, read 299,954 times

Advertisements

I just recently got Verizon Fios install in my home about a month ago and my internet connection has only worked about 10 days out of that month. I've called customer service a couple of times and each time I call them, they say it will be taking care of.
Luckily I have a BB (blackberry) and can connect to the internet using that because if I did not, I would be one irate customer and my patience would have been long out the window.
Is anyone else having trouble with their Service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM

407 posts, read 1,137,111 times
We are still on comcast but if you will do a search on consumer affairs and rip off report, you will see that these same complaints are all over the country.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 AM

250 posts, read 1,274,384 times
I've had FIOS for a couple of months now, I haven't had a single outage, and the service is a billion times faster than my DSL was! I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, I can't believe they haven't gotten their act together!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,525,668 times
I've had FIOS since May of this year. I have had occasional outages, but they haven't lasted more than a few minutes at a time. I've also had to reset the router (is that the correct term?) a few times by disconnecting it for about 30 seconds or so and then reconnecting it.

But I have been having problems with my internet connection freezing up and/or shutting down and that is very frustrating. I don't know if the problem is with my computer or my connection. I'm not very savvy about this stuff.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I've had FIOS since May of this year. I have had occasional outages, but they haven't lasted more than a few minutes at a time. I've also had to reset the router (is that the correct term?) a few times by disconnecting it for about 30 seconds or so and then reconnecting it.

But I have been having problems with my internet connection freezing up and/or shutting down and that is very frustrating. I don't know if the problem is with my computer or my connection. I'm not very savvy about this stuff.
I don't think that it's your computer at all. I've had to do the same thing (unplug and reconnect) when the service was working. As you stated, it is very frustrating.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM

6,285 posts, read 7,146,706 times
Never had an issue.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 AM

10 posts, read 28,608 times
We have Verizon FIOS since 2007 and can remember 2 outages so far. One time it was because of a storm.

If you are using WiFi, try resetting the equipment before calling.

When you call customer service, take the name of the person you are speaking to.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM

298 posts, read 918,970 times
I recently switched to Comcast from Verizon because of all the problems with outages and customer service.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

437 posts, read 1,107,207 times
FIOS has been a real headache for me too. The wifi is useless, I can be standing right next to their modem with my laptop and hardly get a signal (and it's not the laptop, I've tested it with other computers/modems too). It's WAAAYYY slower than DSL using the wifi setup they have. I've replaced the modem 3 times, including the last time when a tech came out, re-wired from the box outside into the house, checked everything out and there wasn't really anything wrong with the hardware. Of course he replaced the old modem, never recorded that he took my old one and Verizon was after me for months for not returning the modem!

FIOS completely conked out last year when I had the tech come out. The tech couldn't figure out really what was wrong, all the hardware on my end checked out, just that there was probably something wrong with Verizon's computer server network or something (it definitely wasn't my end). They got the signal going again, but the wifi is still worthless.

I have had to hard wire from the basement up through the house and plug in my laptop due to the uselessness of the wifi signal. It's faster than DSL but not by much, certainly not worth the $48/month they charge. I've thought of going to Comcast but they charge about the same and I've heard similar horror stories about them.

I can't even get DSL - the previous owner of my house had FIOS so Verizon re-did the wiring to the house from the street and won't undo it to let me get DSL service (which I tried to get them to do, actually).

As soon as there is some viable option to Verizon's or Comcast's bad service and high prices, I will take it.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
FIOS has been a real headache for me too. The wifi is useless, I can be standing right next to their modem with my laptop and hardly get a signal (and it's not the laptop, I've tested it with other computers/modems too). It's WAAAYYY slower than DSL using the wifi setup they have. I've replaced the modem 3 times, including the last time when a tech came out, re-wired from the box outside into the house, checked everything out and there wasn't really anything wrong with the hardware. Of course he replaced the old modem, never recorded that he took my old one and Verizon was after me for months for not returning the modem!

FIOS completely conked out last year when I had the tech come out. The tech couldn't figure out really what was wrong, all the hardware on my end checked out, just that there was probably something wrong with Verizon's computer server network or something (it definitely wasn't my end). They got the signal going again, but the wifi is still worthless.

I have had to hard wire from the basement up through the house and plug in my laptop due to the uselessness of the wifi signal. It's faster than DSL but not by much, certainly not worth the $48/month they charge. I've thought of going to Comcast but they charge about the same and I've heard similar horror stories about them.

I can't even get DSL - the previous owner of my house had FIOS so Verizon re-did the wiring to the house from the street and won't undo it to let me get DSL service (which I tried to get them to do, actually).

As soon as there is some viable option to Verizon's or Comcast's bad service and high prices, I will take it.
Everything you're going through sounds like the same thing that I'm going through. Thanks for sharing your horror story.
They've replaced my modem as well and it worked for two day each time. Customer service sucks so I'm paying for bad service all the way around.
This is crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland