U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM

285 posts, read 803,671 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What condo communities or villages in the Howard County, Maryland area are most affordable? My only requirements are below; I can be flexible with everything else.
  • I'm looking for a townhome-type condo (i.e., not a condo that is in a building)
  • 3 bedrooms, at least 2 bathrooms (will consider 2 bedrooms)
  • deck or some sort of backyard for entertaining, bbq's, etc.
  • no more than $250k (if necessary, I will go up to $275k)
  • public transportation
  • ethnic diversity
Thanks for your help, everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,277,469 times
I'm guessing that you won't find that in Howard County, but I'm not that knowledgeable in Howard Co, i just know that it's incredibly expensive. Can you do another county perhaps?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 PM

332 posts, read 1,189,406 times
I think you can find townhomes under 275 in Howard County. Try Elkridge, Laurel, Columbia and Ellicott City. I think you can find everything on your list, the only question is what you mean by "public transportation". Do you need to be on or right off of a main bus route or will you take a local bus to a different bus line, train?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Default thanks, Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
I think you can find townhomes under 275 in Howard County. Try Elkridge, Laurel, Columbia and Ellicott City. I think you can find everything on your list, the only question is what you mean by "public transportation". Do you need to be on or right off of a main bus route or will you take a local bus to a different bus line, train?

Thanks, Lisa. I hadn't heard of Elkridge before so your post gave me a different place to start looking. I did a quick internet search and found quite a few places for under $250k, believe it or not.

If I understand correctly, no train runs through any of those areas, right? If that's the case, I would need to have access to a bus that would connect me with a train. I have to take a trip to the area to do some exploring for myself. But at least now I know where to look.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM

382 posts, read 1,085,714 times
I agree, there should be something available in that price range. And there are train stations in Elkridge and Savage.

Here's the website for Howard County Transit Services . This link has bus schedules for the county. Some of them go to the train stations.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

38 posts, read 139,385 times
I would contact a real estate agent. I'm from Howard County and you can find affordable housing. But there are some areas that have a problems and you may want to avoid.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Thank you KDkid and newhart for your suggestions!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM

332 posts, read 1,189,406 times
lucyslp,

I concur with KDkid and newhart, the only thing I would add is that I would not rely on a real estate agents to tell you what areas to avoid - for crime go to the HC police website and schools check out the hcpss.org . Once you narrow your search ask people on the forum if they are familiar with the areas and of course visit the area during rush hour, day and night to get a feel for what is happening, traffic, etc. And talk to people who live there, are they staying or looking to get out. Real Estate agents are not suppose to steer people in and out of neighborhoods. Plus they are trying to sell a home, it is really up to you to do the research. Also, even if they think that an area they are showing you is a rough neighborhood, if you are a minority, they may be more reluctant to tell you that vs a non minority. When comparing neighborhoods, etc., ask them which one they location will be better for resale ... usually that will give you an idea about what direction they think the area is headed. Some places in HC are very diverse and I think people assume that they are bad, most of the areas are very safe, especially by MD standards. Also, I street may have some crime and a few blocks over it may be really quiet. You definitely have to do your research in this area.

IMO, there is more crime in MD then most of the states that I have lived in. I can accept the random commercial or residential burglaries but what is unacceptable to me in this area is the random street robberries that happen in HC. It is still a good place to live, I just hope that the police crackdown on these problems so that we can all enjoy HC which has a lot to offer.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM

516 posts, read 1,277,469 times
oh goodie! I'm glad I was wrong. Sounds like you'll have no problem Good luck in your search!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Default advice like this is why I visit this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
lucyslp,

I concur with KDkid and newhart, the only thing I would add is that I would not rely on a real estate agents to tell you what areas to avoid - for crime go to the HC police website and schools check out the hcpss.org . Once you narrow your search ask people on the forum if they are familiar with the areas and of course visit the area during rush hour, day and night to get a feel for what is happening, traffic, etc. And talk to people who live there, are they staying or looking to get out. Real Estate agents are not suppose to steer people in and out of neighborhoods. Plus they are trying to sell a home, it is really up to you to do the research. Also, even if they think that an area they are showing you is a rough neighborhood, if you are a minority, they may be more reluctant to tell you that vs a non minority. When comparing neighborhoods, etc., ask them which one they location will be better for resale ... usually that will give you an idea about what direction they think the area is headed. Some places in HC are very diverse and I think people assume that they are bad, most of the areas are very safe, especially by MD standards. Also, I street may have some crime and a few blocks over it may be really quiet. You definitely have to do your research in this area.

IMO, there is more crime in MD then most of the states that I have lived in. I can accept the random commercial or residential burglaries but what is unacceptable to me in this area is the random street robberries that happen in HC. It is still a good place to live, I just hope that the police crackdown on these problems so that we can all enjoy HC which has a lot to offer.

Lisa, thanks for your honesty. I've heard great things about Howard County but also heard that the police salaries are low. Maybe if they can attract more talent, the crime situation will improve all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland