U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 AM

16,255 posts, read 40,219,372 times

Advertisements

Frederick & Hagerstown.

What are the differences and similarities? They appear similar in many ways from the photos I've been able to view of them.

Is cost of living significantly higher in Frederick due to proximity to DC? Is Frederick more connected to DC - more people commuting to/from there?

Are there certain things that either of the two cities is more known for - either positive or negative?

Does Hagerstown have more mountain scenery or feel about it or around it?

Which one has the denser feel? Which would be more comfortable to live within the density of the city...safety-wise, things to do, places to go, etc.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 AM

6,108 posts, read 9,756,082 times
Frederick is closer to D.C., more expensive, and has more residents than Hagerstown. I would say that Hagerstown is more dense because it was a larger city for most of its history than Hagerstown. There are lots of sub-developments around Frederick's historic core which are in the city limits.

I wouldn't describe either city as mountainous. Both cities are located in broad agricultural valleys with mountains on their flanks. Frederick probably has better views as it is closer to the Catoctin Mountains and has a steeper escarpment.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,309,406 times
It really depends on which part of each city you are talking about. Frederick's "City" part is like a historic downtown with trendy stores and restaurants.. Hagerstown is historic as well, but doesn't (to me) seem as "chic" if that makes sense.

IMO Frederick has beautiful parts, and suburban sprawl spots.. it could be the same for Hagerstown, but I'm not sure.

It really depends on what sort of lifestyle you want. I also know as you get further from DC Maryland starts looking more mid-western but I'm not sure if Hagerstown is far enough out for that, if that makes sense. There are the outlets in Hagerstown, which is nice also.

Frederick will be more expensive because it's a bedroom community to DC.. although it seems from my observation, more and more people are moving further and further out and commuting to DC. I know some people who live in Hagerstown and commute to DC every day.. but that's not really that shocking as people are willing to travel for cheaper real estate.

Hope I was some sort of help I know I was all over the map

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM

16,255 posts, read 40,219,372 times
PART II

Population-wise, Frederick seems to be around 60,000 and Hagerstown around 40,000.

But I have read somewhere that Hagerstown has the bigger 'downtown'...significantly more blocks, etc.

Does that seem about right?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM

6,108 posts, read 9,756,082 times
Yes, that is right. Hagerstown was about 2x as large as Frederick up until the 1950s and as such has more buildings from the 19th and early 20th century built up in its downtown.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM

31 posts, read 78,935 times
I live right between the two. I think Frederick is more trendy yet also more edgy in places. Hagerstown is more rural but also more old & run down in places. Hagerstown's downtown is bigger but honestly I couldn't name one thing to do in downtown Hagerstown. Hagerstown has had somewhat recent new development (Garland Groh area, Mall area) Frederick seems to be slowly dying is some places (Route 40 mall area). Hagerstown has more of a rural PA vibe to it to me. Frederick is more typical of Maryland.

Personally I chose the mountainous area between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>