Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 PM

10 posts, read 46,882 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a university undergraduate (in-state) at a college in Maryland, Salisbury University. I live with my parents in the Salisbury area, and I would like to move away from here. As I'm three semesters from graduating, it would be impractical to transfer out of this college at this point. I have two questions:

-Can you suggest any reasonably affordable, fun cities in Maryland on the western shore that I might consider to live in? School districts aren't a concern for me, and I'm willing to live in a neighborhood that isn't necessarily the safest. My primary concerns are access to a good and varied job market, a large population of young people, and a moderate price range by MD standards. I absolutely would not consider any towns on the eastern shore of the bay. I'd like to stay in-state so that I can still get the favorable tuition for my school.

-This question is more open-ended, but I'll give it a go. How much practical hardship might I expect from making a move like this? I've lived in Salisbury since I was five, and feel that moving away is long overdue. That said, I don't want to do something foolish that will launch me into a bad financial situation. I've thought that maybe I should just suck it up and live here for another year and a half while taking the free food and housing, but I feel like doing that would be putting my life on hold and demonstrating a lack of guts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 AM

53 posts, read 157,863 times
moving away at this point would demonstrate a lack of financial sense. Do a dry run for at least 6 months if you must. At the beginning of each month take $1000 from your checking/savings and shove it under your mattress (to simulate using it on rent, food, etc.). Then watch what happens to your finances.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM

103 posts, read 410,219 times
Do you have any money saved up? Will you have any student loans etc? Probably a better idea to live at home for the time being, find a job first and THEN move. The trendy spots for young professionals in Baltimore are Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill and a few others (like Bolton Hill). There's also plenty of suburbs too, Towson, White Marsh, Parkville, Bel Air, all good choices.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM

10 posts, read 46,882 times
I do have some money saved up, but I've thought it over again from a strictly financial perspective, and it would be a waste of money to move before I graduate.

That said, though, I'm still curious about the first question, good places to consider living in a few years.

I'm not particularly familiar with Baltimore, although I've visited a number of times. Are the neighborhoods that you mention; Canton, Fells Point etc. the kinds of areas that you could live/work/shop practically without a car?

Also, if you could give me any imput on how healthy the accounting/finance industries are in that area, it would be appreciated.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:33 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,602 times
You will earn minimum wage as you are moving up the ladder. You better start budgeting now. What kind of work are you looking for? Heck, you may have to move out of Maryland if needed. The only city that meets your requirements is Baltimore. Finance is one of the hardest hit industries in this great recession. I have no knowledge how Baltimore is holding up in that regard.

Coming from a much older generation, people would be better off moving out of their homes once of legal age, graduation, and the like. It makes you a much better character. While it may not complete financial sense, it does for everything else.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 12-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM

and 50 years ago that was possible. but i hate to be the bearer of bad news but moving out immediately upon graduation/legal age is no longer part of the american way. The middle class is disappearing and your idea will only result in more people living off of food stamps in public housing. Congrats on assisting in the deconstruction of the US!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelativelyGruntled View Post
and 50 years ago that was possible. but i hate to be the bearer of bad news but moving out immediately upon graduation/legal age is no longer part of the american way. The middle class is disappearing and your idea will only result in more people living off of food stamps in public housing. Congrats on assisting in the deconstruction of the US!
I seriously disagree with your assessment. Upon graduating from college in 2002, I moved from NY to MD by myself and lived by my myself on a salary of EXACTLY $25K. How much money did I have saved for the move? About 3K. Was it difficult? A little, but proper budgeting made it easier, not only was I paying for my rent, groceries, going out, and college loans (~$20K in loans due to receiving about $100K in scholarships and grants from 4-yrs at a tier one private university in upstate NY from 98-02) by myself, I also was paying for my new car (Hyundai, nothing special but economical even if bought new) PLUS saving what was left over.

Anyone that makes excuses that moving and living by oneself is not possible, is simply deluding themselves and blaming everyone else, but the person in the mirror.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelativelyGruntled View Post
Deconstruction? For god's sake, GET REAL! Do you scream "PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" every time you enter a mall?

I know it is no longer the American way, but that's what has been plaguing the newer generations. It's a damn shame we are such a pussified nation today.

On the other side, I have met countless young people who, come high hell or water, moved out of their homes and determined to make it their own. Every one has succeeded. The only ones failed are the ones who are afraid of the real world AKA sheltered kids. That's no way to live your life.

Psychofan is a fine example how one can even do it TODAY.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 AM

every generation looks at the next generation growing up and says "whats wrong with kids these days" or "this is whats wrong with america". You can easily move to Texas and live off of minimum wage with a nice small house. However, trying that in Baltimore you will be shot or go broke.

P.S. Try not to hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland