Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times

Advertisements

Annapolis seems lost or out of place in the DC/Balt region. Some seem to think it's a suburb of DC and looking at busy Highway 50 and that makes a lot of sense. But it's in Anne Arundel County which is technically in the Baltimore MSA and it's about the same distance from Baltimore, although the 97 commute is not quite as busy as 50 I don't think. But then you have Annapolis with its own charm and history and in many ways it's very much not your typical suburb. Plus it's the capital.

So which is it? Is it part of the Baltimore area just because it would be silly to have the capital of Maryland in the MSA of much larger DC/Virginia area or it is sort of the third city in a triangle of the DC/Balt area or is it nothing more than a suburb of one or both DC and Baltimore?

Just currious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

503 posts, read 807,077 times
I tend to consider myself more closely aligned with the Baltimore area but much of that is out of convenience because it's much easier to get around most of the Baltimore Beltway compared to DC. Also, AACO has pretty much anything I need to get so there's little need to go to the DC area.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Annapolis has its own center of gravity do its status as the state's capital, the presence of the Naval Academy, and its own tourist appeal. It is certainly part of the larger metro areas, but I would say it has maintained a unique identity more than any other city in the metro region (In case anyone is wondering, I would rank Westminster second and Frederick third in terms of maintaining their own identity.)

Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,144 times
As a Washington area native, I don't really consider Annapolis part of "my" area. As westsideboy said, it has maintained its own center of gravity. Northern Anne Arundel County is definitely part of the Baltimore metro, and southern AA County part of the DC metro, but Annapolis is somewhat apart from both of them. Unfortunately, metropolitan areas are always defined at the county level, so a lot of the nuances get lost.

I think Annapolis would have evolved very differently were it not for the presence of DC and Baltimore, but it's definitely not a suburb of either. It's a satellite city that has recently become absorbed into a greater metropolitan area.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,064 times
Neither. It's its own city, and one of the few in Maryland, apart from those is extreme Western MD and most of the Eastern Shore that isn't really a suburb of DC or Balt.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 56,035 times
It is a great town to commute into dc to if you drive... beats silver spring, bethesda etc...and is much nicer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland