Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,184 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

This is my first post, but I have to vent...

I grew up in Cloverly about thirty years ago and remember the area (Burtonsville and Colesville) as a nice quiet little town bordering on rural. Traffic was never that bad, even during rush hours if you stayed away from the Beltway. In the late 80's through the 90's, I went to college in NY and moved to NYC. Recently relocated back here in 2007 when I noticed that traffic was unbearable. Not only congestion, but drivers in such a rush, they would navigate with reckless abandon. It's just all too crazy.

I used to drive pretty aggressive, but would respect others around me... meaning, I would speed, but not cut people off, swerve between cars, tail-gate, or gun it at a green light. Now that I have children, the most I drive over the speed limit is 5 mph.

Which leads me to this... twice in the last two days, I've been tail-gated, honked at, then passed on a one lane road...

The first time was at 6:45 am on Friday, when the roads were icy with the wintry mix we got, I was driving eastbound on 198. I just passed the 650 intersection, when a car came up on me so fast I knew he was trouble. After about a minute of tail-gating, he honked me, then pulled over to the opposite lane and passed me. I was going 45 in the 40 mph zone. He must have passed me going 65. And to top that off, he did it in the construction area just past Good Hope Rd.

The second time was tonight. I was driving north on 650 just past the 198 intersection. Same thing happened. A driver came up on me fast and past me in the oncoming opposite lane. I was going about 50 in the 45 mph zone. So he was going at least 65. I honked him and flashed my lights.

This is just crazy. I had my entire family in the car at both incidents. And was really concerned for our safety.

So my question is... where are the cops? I rarely see them in this area and see so many cars speeding and driving recklessly. What is the hurry? Are they MIA because we have red light cameras and speed cameras? Aren't these automated traffic checks supposed to keep the roads safer? Seems to me they were put there to generate income for the county. How do we help the situation? Can we help the situation?

I'm really miffed here. I'm pretty lawful, so is it just me taking these situations personally?

Hopefully some of you can respond and give me your opinions so I can understand this better.

DW_in_Olney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Hey, there's a good side to it. If you move someplace that doesn't have many aggressive drives it's awesome.

I moved to Greenville, NC from the Annapolis area. I used to drive into DC on Central Ave during rush hour and all over the place there. I am used to it.

Now if someone tries to cut me off or some other ignorant act here in NC I am not fazed by it at all. They truly are like sheep and I'm a wolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland