Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 38,005 times

Advertisements

I look at the stat's on the county web sites and it just doesn't all seem relevant. Honestly, unless you know the school and the area you just don't "know" why the numbers reflected are what they are.

So I'm asking....

Where are the best schools in Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 384,699 times
Montgomery County and Howard County.

Check out PSK12 Public School Rankings and GreatSchools.net for school ratings and reviews.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 PM

770 posts, read 3,672,488 times
Severna Park has very high ranking elementary schools. Out of the top 5 in Maryland 2 of them are in Severna Park.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM

165 posts, read 924,081 times
Thumbs up Best Schools in MD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Tori View Post
I look at the stat's on the county web sites and it just doesn't all seem relevant. Honestly, unless you know the school and the area you just don't "know" why the numbers reflected are what they are.

So I'm asking....

Where are the best schools in Maryland?
There are many sources to check but often you get information from the people who live in the counties themselves.

Typically the top three counties posting the highest quality, with fewest schools "in trouble" are Howard, Calvert and Carroll Counties. Often you will hear about Montgomery county and yes it's wonderful they invest the most money into their school system but they do have several schools on report.

The best thing to do is conduct your own research and then take a sampling of the people who live in those counties. Each one have many good schools to offer in the public system, several also offer very attractive private school options as well (e.g. Calvert). I've used mdreportcard.org in the past to get unbiased statistics to base my judgement on besides my own perceptions and interactions with residents.

I work in Howard county and have lots of friends who rave about it as a wonderful school system and I've seen stats to support that, and I've lived in Calvert county for 5 years with similar stats and I'm wrapping up my first year in Carroll county and I can say all three have impressed me (that's not easy to do). I think if you look at the assessments for the state the kids are coming out mostly proficient and many advanced in the core course topics like Algebra, English, etc... which says a lot.

Of course with good schools, comes questions on safe neighborhoods, etc... these locations usually come with a hefty price tag (especially to people not used to the cost of living here). Out of the three counties I mentioned the prices are more favorable in Carroll county as both Howard and Calvert are getting quite expensive. Montgomery is the most expensive for housing on the average but deals can often be found everywhere if you look hard enough.

Good luck in your search and I hope you can parse the opinions with the facts and help make heads or tails out of the results for you.

Last edited by teleblazer; 05-27-2007 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 38,005 times
Thank you! I'll be starting to look this week. Appreciate the sites.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM

336 posts, read 714,059 times
When I began looking at moving back to MD, I started looking at the site you mentioned. It was very helpful. Carroll County had AMAZING stats...I just wonder how to find out what parts actually puffed the numbers up so high as when we lived in Hampstead, the high school was not known for its excellence but rather its drugs. Amazingly, our old house is worth about $100,000 more than we sold it for 3 1/2 years ago!! I'd love to find out what specific schools in Carroll County led to such great stats though.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:41 PM

770 posts, read 3,672,488 times
You can also look at GreatSchools.net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: