Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 15,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Clarksville/Columbia today and will have to commute to downtown DC. Ideally, I would like to be at work around 9:45 am and will probably leave at around 5:45 pm

1. I was told that there are commuter buses from Columbia. Could any of you please point me to any you are aware of?

2. Do my timings (relatively late in the morning) allow me to park in any of the MARC stations close to Columbia like Dorsey or Jessup or Savage? I have heard (though not reliably) that parking after 8 am could be a huge challenge in/around these stations - is that true? Is the safer option to park at BWI where the train schedule is also more frequent or does BWI fill up too?

Any other suggestions re commute will be most welcome.

Thanks very much!

- Vic
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,973 times
You can find the commuter bus schedule at the Maryland Transit Administration's website. Route 995 might be the best option for you, but most of the buses are geared to commuters who start and end work earlier than it sounds like you plan to.

I have never seen the Dorsey MARC parking lot more than 2/3 full. I don't think the BWI garages fill either, but bear in mind that there is a daily parking fee for the BWI garages, whereas the Dorsey lot is free. If the bus and MARC options don't work for you, you could drive to Greenbelt (at the end of the Green Line) and take the metro from there.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,652 times
Thank you Barrytown.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,743 times
Default Commute: Looking for a shorter time

Can someone tell me is there a better/shorter route to take for 95south to germantown, md? Instead of the beltway that commute in traffic around 7am-715am is killing me in gas. I am coming from baltimore 95south trying to get to work on time 8:30am which i only go through the beltway to get on 270 towards germantown. I also hit 895 to 95 but then i have to jump on the beltway. Do anyone have a shorter route that they know of? thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM

61 posts, read 201,202 times
Usually the Dorsey MARC parking lot has plenty of parking and may be the best way to go. More relaxing just to find a seat and "kick your feet up" without having to worry about any traffic. Or like Barrytown mentioned from Columbia to Greenbelt station is not a bad option. I used to drive to the Greenbelt station to catch the Metro into DC, worked out well and you would not have to leave out in the morning at 5:45am. If you have to be at work by 9:45am, depending on where in DC you work, as long as you on a train from the Greenbelt station by 9:00am then you should be set.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,485 times
One factor to consider is how regular your schedule is; if your work hours are very regular, then catching the MARC at Dorsey or using the Commuter Buses are both good options. If your schedule is less predictable, I would suggest proceeding a few miles past Dorsey and catching the MARC at BWI rail station as there are substantially more MARC trains on the Penn line and they run later. You can also catch the Amtrak trains there which, if you're willing to pay a bit more for your ticket ($13+ vs. $6 for MARC), further expand your options Barrytown is correct that there is a fee to park at BWI rail station ($9/day), however if you get a monthly pass its only $45/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland