Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Again, MARYLAND doesn't equal WASHINGTON DC.

Everytime I open this thread, someone is talking about ALL of Maryland being outrageously expensive. But for the 10th time, there is a lot more to Maryland than just the DC suburbs part of it.
Right and you do notice that they are not going into the Virginia threads and making comments about Virgina being outrageously expensive. Fairfax County, VA is Far more Expensive to live in than Montgomery County, MD I can't understand why some people can't see that........

Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I had a hard time finding apartment prices for places in Cumberland... But the main issue with Cumberland is that its out of commuting distance for the major job centers...

I suppose commutes from Hagerstown, and Frederick to DC are doable but its more commute than I would prefer... I saw some apartments as low as $600/month but they didn't look very nice... The average 1 bedroom I saw was between $800-$900/month... Still not quite the value I am looking for...

Anything in/around Baltimore is ridiculously expensive...
More Expensive than Tysons Corner, VA or Reston, VA????????

Not even close..........

Last edited by $mk8795; 03-04-2010 at 02:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 AM

This topic is becoming redundant to the point that it is not worth continuance of being active. I don't see crazy topics like this being posted in other state forums especially in the Virginia Forums. If the people on here do not like Maryland why go into the Maryland Forum and create useless topics of why they hate Maryland soo much. And its more ridiculous if they don't live in Maryland. The intelligent thing to do is not come into the Maryland Forum and create Hateful Discriminating Topics that will generate Unnecessary Hostility because the truth of the Matter is that the Maryland Population will continue to increase irregardless.....

Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
And I'll say it again - Maryland has the highest average income in the country and an excellent job market - which counter balances those figures. The "Southern" states are cheaper, but you also make less money to balance it out.

4th highest cost of living, 3rd highest average housing cost, but the highest average income (1st) in the US.
It doesn't balance out in the slightest. One of the reasons Maryland has the highest average income is because those that can't afford to live there are moving out. As those that make less money move out the average income goes up. I live here in NC and there are plenty of people that move here from MD. Their number one reason is always the high cost of living in MD.

Now granted, if you're a way overpaid government employee that makes 2 and 3 times what the public sector does for the same job then yes, MD is a fine place to live.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
This topic is becoming redundant to the point that it is not worth continuance of being active. I don't see crazy topics like this being posted in other state forums especially in the Virginia Forums. If the people on here do not like Maryland why go into the Maryland Forum and create useless topics of why they hate Maryland soo much. And its more ridiculous if they don't live in Maryland. The intelligent thing to do is not come into the Maryland Forum and create Hateful Discriminating Topics that will generate Unnecessary Hostility because the truth of the Matter is that the Maryland Population will continue to increase irregardless.....

MD works fine for some people but a lot of people live in MD and don't even know what else is out there... Perhaps I am speaking to a particular demographic here but how is the average 18-25 year old supposed to live comfortably in MD?

I wish I would have known how truly expensive MD is when I was younger so I wouldn't have had to deal with the cost of living... Thats fine if you think MD is worth the high price of admission... Sure a lot of areas in NOVA are expensive but there are other cheaper alternatives in other areas of VA... Not that I am advocating for VA, I would never live there either...

MD is really expensive, frustratingly so for most, and there are a lot of prospective residents that should know what they are getting into...

How many threads have you seen posted where people want a huge house or apartment for some ridiculously low sum of money?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 AM

Here's more facts to chew on.

Despite Maryland's highest average income in the nation it still has a very high foreclosure and delinquency rate. Higher than Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. 14th highest in the nation.

2009: Unemployment vs Delinquencies

The Baltimore and Bethesda areas are also some of the most expensive in the nation. Homes are less affordable than anywhere in VA, NC, SC, GA and FL taking a lot of factors into account including income.

John Burns Real Estate Consulting - Local Analysis (http://www.realestateconsulting.com/Intelligence.aspx?quicklaunch=true&region=local - broken link)

Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It doesn't balance out in the slightest. One of the reasons Maryland has the highest average income is because those that can't afford to live there are moving out. As those that make less money move out the average income goes up. I live here in NC and there are plenty of people that move here from MD. Their number one reason is always the high cost of living in MD.

Now granted, if you're a way overpaid government employee that makes 2 and 3 times what the public sector does for the same job then yes, MD is a fine place to live.
Lol okay man, whatever you say.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,753 times
Quote:
MD works fine for some people but a lot of people live in MD and don't even know what else is out there... Perhaps I am speaking to a particular demographic here but how is the average 18-25 year old supposed to live comfortably in MD?

I wish I would have known how truly expensive MD is when I was younger so I wouldn't have had to deal with the cost of living... Thats fine if you think MD is worth the high price of admission... Sure a lot of areas in NOVA are expensive but there are other cheaper alternatives in other areas of VA... Not that I am advocating for VA, I would never live there either...

MD is really expensive, frustratingly so for most, and there are a lot of prospective residents that should know what they are getting into...

How many threads have you seen posted where people want a huge house or apartment for some ridiculously low sum of money?
? for you - I almost considered moving to Jax a few years back as the company I worked for then, Modis, has it's headquarters there. How is the job market in your field, and what is the opportunity like for finding another similar job in Jax, if you were to loose your current one.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM

44 posts, read 131,692 times
Quote:

Smart move in your case you can save a lot, re-assess later if you want to move back to MD.
It is well established here that "Maryland" is expensive -
How much do you need to make per month for a decent living? family of 4 excluding cost of home mortgage/rent (that could swing)-
Realistic value

Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Lol okay man, whatever you say.
I lived there until 2006. At 47 years old I looked at what we were earning, where we were at on retirement, what it was going to cost in the future and where real estate was going. One of the large factors in our decision is the fact that the way property taxes are setup in MD they are guaranteed to increase by the maximum amount allowed by law every year almost regardless of what property values do.

I am one of those people that moved for financial reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland