Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfacs
Feel much better after reading this post!!! We are (were!!!) planning to move to MD from Toronto, Canada. I had a post on where to live, etc.... Severna Park, EC and few more suggestions from this site were our targets in March break to have a look at!!!
Is this really true about MD? are we crazyyyyyyyyy? pls Help ... is it really that bad...?
I guess it depends on what you consider "that bad". And it depends on the area. Germantown was horrible. We looked around at other areas..I wouldn't have lived in any of them. But I'm not used to a high (er) crime area. I guess it depends on what you are used to and what you're willing to accept. Do the research. Compare crime in the areas you want to live in. Look at crime reports in the community newspapers. Every single day when I read the police reports in Germantown there was crime...mostly break-ins and burglary. Lots of car break ins. Sometimes you see an assault or rape thrown in. They found a body just off of 270 right before we moved.

Compare that to the crime in Burke, VA...Oh wait...there pretty much is none.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
I loved living in MD, can't wait to get back!

An abundance of jobs, excellent economy, and a veryreasonable 4 season climate. In terms of racial polarization, central Maryland is among the best I've seen anywhere in the eastern US. I really love Chesapeake seafood - blue crabs on a hot sunny day! Skiing in the mountains in wintertime and going to Ocean ****ty - i mean - City in the summertime!

It seems like most of the posts on City Data are negative whether we are talking about 'Maryland, Arizona, or anywhere else. Even the Hawaii board! Bunch of negative people the lot of you!

@Maxfacs moving from Toronto, you won't be disappointed, move to Ellicott City or Columbia and you won't be back in Canada anytime soon! I know I won't!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM

44 posts, read 131,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

An abundance of jobs, excellent economy, and a veryreasonable 4 season climate. In terms of racial polarization, central Maryland is among the best I've seen anywhere in the eastern US. I really love Chesapeake seafood - blue crabs on a hot sunny day! Skiing in the mountains in wintertime and going to Ocean ****ty - i mean - City in the summertime!

It seems like most of the posts on City Data are negative whether we are talking about 'Maryland, Arizona, or anywhere else. Even the Hawaii board! Bunch of negative people the lot of you!

@Maxfacs moving from Toronto, you won't be disappointed, move to Ellicott City or Columbia and you won't be back in Canada anytime soon! I know I won't!

Moderator cut: Per Terms of Service: English only in the Forums; do not discuss moderator actions in the forums

Thank you. Will tour the area in the upcoming visit.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 02-27-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

I don't see many Negative people in the Virginia, North/South Carolina, Georgia, Boards.....

I believe alot of these Maryland haters are from the South and they want people throughout the US to Hate the state of Maryland in the name of Old Fashion Confederacy..........

Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I don't see many Negative people in the Virginia, North/South Carolina, Georgia, Boards.....

I believe alot of these Maryland haters are from the South and they want people throughout the US to Hate the state of Maryland in the name of Old Fashion Confederacy..........
I live in the south and hate MD...

But I hate it because I grew up there and when I moved out at 18 the cost of living was so stifling I had to leave my friends and family behind just to find an affordable place to live...

Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 29,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paav8tor View Post
Forget crime, we moved to PA (though it's becoming not much better under the Rendell Mafia) in order to not pay taxes used to bailout a bankrupt Baltimore City School system. Harford County is where we grew up, but we won't come back! Seems both Baltimore City and it's recent mayoral problems aren't too far from the Veon issues in Harrisburg.... what ya going to do?
Dear PAAVATOR

Am curious - where in PA did you relocate to? We are considering moving from NC to MD or VA to be closer to our kids. Never considered PA - what are the benefits? Side note - we too used to live in Harford County during the 80's.

leftyinch

Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM

293 posts, read 570,593 times
Maryland gets a lot of hate but it seems that there are a lot of posters on here who are haters...no matter where you post. My wife and I left Maryland a few years ago because of the cost of living, etc... We thought that if we were deeper in the South with its low cost of living that things would be "better." So we "bashed" too.

We are here in the Metro Atlanta area and have found that it is nice and all but it is missing a lot of the things that we took for granted when we lived in Maryland. I was born and raised in Florida and it is the same there..."cheap" does not always mean better to some.

You cannot put a value on the history and culture that Maryland allows one to experience due to its close proximate to Washington D.C. So to the OP, you think that it is crazy for someone to move to Maryland but the fact of the matter is that you only speak for yourself.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I live in the south and hate MD...

But I hate it because I grew up there and when I moved out at 18 the cost of living was so stifling I had to leave my friends and family behind just to find an affordable place to live...
There are plenty of affordable places to live in Maryland.......

There are plenty of places in Virginia, North/South Carolina, and Georgia that is just as expensive than Maryland..........

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
My job may require me to work at Pax River in the near future. Where should I live that is in commuting distance from the Air Base? It's just me and the wife; schools don't matter. Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 AM

55 posts, read 380,830 times
Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
Maryland gets a lot of hate but it seems that there are a lot of posters on here who are haters...no matter where you post. My wife and I left Maryland a few years ago because of the cost of living, etc... We thought that if we were deeper in the South with its low cost of living that things would be "better." So we "bashed" too.

We are here in the Metro Atlanta area and have found that it is nice and all but it is missing a lot of the things that we took for granted when we lived in Maryland. I was born and raised in Florida and it is the same there..."cheap" does not always mean better to some.

You cannot put a value on the history and culture that Maryland allows one to experience due to its close proximate to Washington D.C. So to the OP, you think that it is crazy for someone to move to Maryland but the fact of the matter is that you only speak for yourself.
I agree with this specifically in the sense of comparing the DC suburbs of Maryland to large Southern cities like Atlanta. It is definitely less expensive in a place like Atlanta overall...compare same house in a nice area of Atlanta, even intown, to same house in places in Montgomery County, for example...in some areas, the price is actually double in Maryland. Then there are the real estate taxes...significantly higher in Maryland, as is usually the case in the Northeast versus the South. State income tax is also typically higher by a couple of percentage points, too. So overall, it is drastically more expensive if you compare "apples" to "apples" (Maryland close to DC versus north or northeast Atlanta inside the perimeter).

However.....having lived both places....I have to agree that Maryland gives you proximity to a lot more. I think there are far more recreational activities and more historical / cultural attractions -- particularly free ones -- available by living in Maryland compared to places like Atlanta. Maryland also puts one closer to a lot of other things, too (like water) that aren't close to Atlanta.

Actually for a huge city (population-wise), Atlanta is kind of boring. It just doesn't have what the DC area has as for cultural and recreational opportunities. Someone once said that Atlanta's attraction is all about business; it's a business and transporation hub; that's why people and companies move there. People don't go to Atlanta for a cultural downtown experience, a waterfront, or the kinds of signature attractions some other cities have.

So is the much higher cost of living in Maryland worth it? I guess it's up to the individual on what they value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland