Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times

Advertisements

Great map WSB. I think it demonstrates so well what has been said numerous times in these north/south debates - that MD has a "split identity" as you point out, and that the parts that are the most "southern" are southern MD and the eastern shore.

Here's another link to a map, which I've posted previously:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

The map on pg. 8 is from the 2000 census, and shows the largest ancestry in each county, nationwide. Like WSB's map, it shows southern MD and the eastern shore as being more similar to the "south" proper, while the rest of the state looks more like PA, OH, western NY, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 AM

810 posts, read 2,162,136 times
I don't really understand how Western MD can be all that southern. or is this another situation of confusing "country" for southern?
sure the accent may sound backwoods but that does not constitute southern. and we're talking about the only bonafide union backing md regioon during the civil war.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM

810 posts, read 2,162,136 times
though the eastern shore/so md seems to lack the large scots-irish population of the south which is probably provides for a large culture gap.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Western Maryland was settled largely along the yeoman farmer, small industrial town, trading post format of SW PA. Slavery was legal, but the number of slaves was always very low. The region was strongly pro-union in the Civil War, although a sizeable Confederate sympathizing minority existed.

As for the accent, it is normally considered a "midland" accent, similar to the accent in northern WV, SW PA, and Appalachian OH. Still pretty twangy, but not normally classified as Southern.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 AM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
The 2000 Census states that the highest reported ancestry in Maryland is African-American. Additionally, there's a concentration of rural blacks within the state, specifically in Southern Maryland and the Lower Eastern Shore.

I was surprised to see that so many counties were light blue(German), considering the Calvert and so many other influential families and colonists came from British ancestry, which is also what I assume the ancestry is for those whom answered "American". You have to consider that some counties have a large number of people with German ancestry, and others may be neck and neck with those who share Irish ancestry, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Northern and Western Maryland were initially populated largely by Germans coming down from PA, hence their more Northern leaning culture.

"American" ancestry is most often a euphamism for Scots-Irish. I think the ancestors of those people moved around alot, from northern Britain, to lowland Scotland, to Ireland, and then to Appalachia, and thus don't really identify with a "ethnic culture" as such.

Irish is large component of the population in the Baltimore region and in the urban areas of Western Maryland. I think in Cumberland the ranking is German, Irish, American.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031900210.html - broken link)

Montana has more in common with the south than Maryland.
Thanks for that link. I read in the Post last year that MD would switch, but wasn't sure if it had been carried out or not.

Here's a great article from the Baltimore Sun link on the issue: It's Time For Marylanders To Look Away From Dixieland - Baltimore Sun

As for the rest of the discussion, I said my piece on why Maryland was [more] Northern a few pages back, and this topic has been debated ad nauseum on about half of the threads on the MD board.

I think one thing everyone can all agree on though is that Maryland is a split state, and neither fully Northern nor Southern. That's why half the time, it's labelled "Mid-Atlantic." The real question is which set of traits in the state are dominant: North[east]ern or South[east]ern?

As I've said before, nearly all the evidence of Maryland's "southerness" is found in relics or pre-Civil War history. In the present day there is virtually no hard, objective, statistic (in areas such as wealth, politics, density, education, religion, transit use etc.) that would tie Maryland (at large) to the South. The only one that does is probably the state's relatively high percentage of African-Americans (something shared with Delaware), since they have a substantial presence in all corners of the state except W. Md. However, at the same time, Maryland has a much higher proportion of some other "Northeastern" ethinicities, such as Italian, than any other Southern state (except maybe FL, which has it's own unique culture).

So, Maryland is Maryland just as DC is DC, neither fish nor fowl. If it must be Northern or Southern though, well I'll reiterate my stance that it's Northern. It's like determining whether fuschia is red (Northern) or blue (Southern).

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
I don't really understand how Western MD can be all that southern. or is this another situation of confusing "country" for southern?
sure the accent may sound backwoods but that does not constitute southern. and we're talking about the only bonafide union backing md regioon during the civil war.
Irregardless Maryland is a Southern State......

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
though the eastern shore/so md seems to lack the large scots-irish population of the south which is probably provides for a large culture gap.
I heard that there is a good size German population in the South. Maybe thats why BMW has a plant in South Carolina......

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
Well a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch settled the Appalachians of Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland