U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,136,744 times

Advertisements

We found a good house in Severn, but the problem is it sits right next to the Boyer Farm. I did just a basic Google search and found only some info that the farm was sold to a developer in 2008, although it still remains operational and it's not clear when/how the land may be developed.

Does anyone have any more information about this farm? Does anyone live near a working farm and could share some advice?

I understand that there might be some noise/smell from the farm, but I'm more concern about the chemicals they might use. Although the farm has been there for many years and I'm guessing if it was harmful someone would've already complained by now or the prople would be moving away.

It's just we've been searching for a long time and really need to move. But at the same time I don't want to jeopardize the health of my family. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM

160 posts, read 769,162 times
My advice is if you have concerns about living next to a farm for any reason don't buy this house. People that choose to live in ag areas, near livestock, crop growing and spraying need to understand that yes it will smell from time to time, it can be dusty, farms draw all kinds of critters like rats, coons, etc... and yes they do spray stuff on crops to protect them. If any of that bothers you even a little bit you'll probably be unhappy, and I doubt complaining about it after the fact would do you any good. If the farm has been sold, there could be a big old development built there one day, or may be a shopping center...I would be much more concerned with that possibility. Have your tried contacting the county planning dept to see if there's been any development plans submitted for review?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM

196 posts, read 760,144 times
Excellent advice by Debi. If you don't like manure smells, dust, tractor and/or combines running late at night, and pesticide usage, stay in the 'burbs.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 AM

195 posts, read 710,163 times
I would go with Debi on this....whenever purchasing ANYWHERE and you have concerns about the land around you, call the Planning Department of the county the home is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>