Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,822 times

Advertisements

...any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,092 times
Not sure what you mean about liberal in a preschool. You might want to define it more because people can mean different things, not conservative, okay with kids coming in out at different times, not rigid in learning, etc. Also, I assume you mean racial diversity, some people mean economic and other just openess to other people, ideas, etc.

La Petite - EC Centennial area
Children's Manor Montessori - EC
Columbia Academy - I believe that have an EC location near 100. I visited other locations but not this particular location,. They were okay, I thought my kid would be safe and learn. However, I did like La Petite and Children's Manor more.
Childtime - I have heard good things about them but I did not visit it, it is not too far away from Children's Manor.

You might want to try some of the schools in Columbia, depending on where you are, you could be right next to a location and just as close as another EC school. You will economic, racial and diversity of open there, not saying that you will not get it in EC and Catonsville because you definitely will, it is just a question of how diverse do you want the pre-school. Some would say that in a class of 30 students that 5 minority or poor kids is diverse others will say it isn't diverse.

The Montessori school will be more rigid then the others. There are some good Catholic schools in EC & Catonsville but I do not think they will make the cut for liberal and are less diverse than the schools above.

Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Yup, need to define preschool. Some people say "preschool" when they mean "daycare" and some say it when they mean "1/2 day program x days per week." Also, what age are you looking for? For part-time, a lot are already full for the fall. There are a lot of good co-ops in Columbia (and I've heard of a couple in Catonsville as well).

Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 12,822 times
yes i meant preschool (for a four year-old), not daycare. and i should have written progressive, not liberal. and i really want diversity...not a watered down definition of diversity.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,092 times
In EC, I would still recommend Children's Manor, I think it is worth a look.

In Columbia - Wilde Lake Children's Nursery, Running Brook Children's Nursey - was recommended to us. I did not research it because the hours of a co-op did not work for me. You might want to try Columbia, love of learning (one of the most expensive programs in the area) or Bryant Woods Montessori programs, also. Most of the part time programs are co-ops, religious or montessori. All of the co-ops that I know of are in Columbia. If you are okay with full day but 2 or 3 days instead I would add the young school to the list but it is also in Columbia.

Post back and let us know if you find a school that meets your criteria. Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
There are eight co-ops in Howard County. When I was looking one was nice enough to give me the full list: Wilde Lake Wilde Lake Children's Nursery ~ Columbia's oldest co-operative preschool!,
East Columbia East Columbia Preschool Home Page
Longfellow Longfellow Nursery School - Homepage
Children & Company Children & Company Cooperative Preschool in Howard County, MD
Children’s Time Children's Time Preschool - Cooperative Preschool in Columbia Maryland
Middle Patuxent Nursery School Middle Patuxent Nursery School
Oakland Mills Nursery School OMNS Site
Stevens Forest Cooperative Preschool Steven's Forest Nursery School - Columbia MD Cooperative Nursery School

I know Oakland Mills still has a couple of spaces in its 4s class. In my experience they are diverse, but there are only 16 kids and I'm sure it varies from year-to-year.

I've heard good things about the Catonsville Co-op. Catonsville Cooperative School - Home

We also looked at the program at First Lutheran, which was very nice but we couldn't fit it into our schedule: First Evangelical Lutheran Church

Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
I grew up in Catonsville. Your child has the best chance if he or she goes to Mount Providence. I went here for preschool and it put me light years ahead of the other students by the time i went to kindergarten. As far as I could tell its diverse and liberal.

Home

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 16,386 times
avoid Stevens Forest Coop. Just look somewhere else.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,413 times
That's funny I just sat in the 4's class with my son and did not like the teachers at all!! That was at Stevens Forest co-op

Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,137 times
Does anyone know anything about Bet Yeladim Nursery School? Will they take children of other religions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland