Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM

332 posts, read 1,280,092 times

Advertisements

You might want to PM newhart, he seemed very knowledgeable on the area and used to post fairly frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 12,151 times
Thanks a lot, Lisa!

That's great info about Columbia, off to exploring it I am

Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,792 times
hi dph2;

I understand how difficult it is to scope out areas because we are in a similar situation. We moved from the UK 11 years ago and are now being relocated to Maryland. My husband will be mostly working in Baltimore/Columbia but in DC sometimes. I also narrowed my searches down to Ellicott, Severna Park etc, mostly beacause of the schools. However I would love somewhere that is walkable but it just isn't the same here, everything is so much bigger and spaced out! I'm now considering the Annapolis area as there seems to be a bit more going on.
Try schooldigger.com for school rankings through the state.
Have you considered Laurel? There are a few good schools there and also Silver Spring? I hear that's got a bigger center. Bethesda and Kensington would be perfect except for price! There is also a development called Maple Lawn in Fulton with supermarket, pool etc and a good school.
The other thing is that your wife may feel a bit trapped without a car unless you live right in the city. The driving tests here are nowhere near as hard as the British ones! It might be worth thinking about.
If you need any help with the UK/USA transition let me know and I may be able to help, I did find things pretty different when I first arrived.
Good Luck!!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM

31 posts, read 108,309 times
Will you be working at the University of Maryland? If so, I would encourage you to look at University Park itself. It is a lovely neighborhood and there are many European families with children. The elementary school is very good, and if your son is already reading and writing he maybe able to skip kindergarten and advance to first grade (I know several children who were able to do this). The town is probably less walkable than you are used to, however you can walk to metro (to access the city) and the town has a shuttle that runs to metro during rush hour as well. With the exception of grocery shopping, my family is able to walk most of the places we go on a daily basis (library, restaurants, school, pharmacy, dry cleaning, preschool, church, etc.)

Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks a lot, Boltongirl (as these things come I do have two Bolton Wanderers t-shirts... as they were selling for 5 quid each

Football (or should I already say soccer) aside, I may drop you a line - we're about to fly in less than 10 days so not really that much time left to deliberate.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Hi Eponena,

Did I say University Park? Sorry, I meant College Park - not that the difference is that huge as they're bordering each other.

That's an interesting (and a long commute saving) alternative, though we've been told consistently that PG county is to be avoided so perhaps my wife won't be that happy about it. But we'll definitely have a look, thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 AM

31 posts, read 108,309 times
I won't sugar coat Prince George's county's reputation -- it has it share of problems, but also many wonderful qualities. I have lived in University Park (UP) for over 12 years and I don't regret it for a moment. UP is an incorporated town so we have our own police force (just for the town), our own public works (we have our own trash and recycling), plus the town shuttle I mentioned in the earlier post. The elementary school is in the center of the neighborhood, so it is quite sheltered and walkable. The new principle is excellent, and our fourth grade math teacher was just named by the Gazette (a local paper) as teacher of the year. Test scores are comparable to schools in Montgomery and other counties. Please take a look -- I think you will like what you find!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Hmm, don't know about PG reputation but it's a fact that I can't find a single family home for rent in University Park. Not sure what that means exactly, other than the fact that obviously we can't move there if there's no house to rent... Do you happen to know some kind of a local source for lettings, Eponena? Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland