U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,112,471 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that our winters here are just simply unbearable. Am I the only one?

For reference I live in Montgomery County, which is already a lot more mild than places like Cumberland and Western Maryland. But I still find the winters completely miserable and I'm cooped up indoors the entire time from Novermber to the middle of April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 AM

471 posts, read 1,684,565 times
I feel you. I think I have SAD during winters. Part of the reason I'm working on relocating to another climate (think Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona) but worth a try... Besides, I hate snow, and our congestion doesn't make traveling easy. not to mention the 10 extra lbs. I gain during those months

Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 PM

658 posts, read 1,656,818 times
Honestly, I don't think winters are all that part in the region of the U.S. The climates are that unbearable. Plus, there was only one major snowfall this year.

I'm probably in the minority here, but sometimes I find that cold weather is much more bearable compared to the absolutely humid days where temps are 95+.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM

143 posts, read 812,526 times
this year, we had warm December and January with snow in March/April...it was kinda cool in the beginning of May....how ironic...

It's either really really cold...or really really hot and humid..

Not the best for those who may have arthritis, etc.

I hear ya

Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 PM

770 posts, read 3,458,932 times
I love Maryland weather compared to where I am from in norther NY. Everyones weather is messed up as far as snowing late in the season. I actually think the temperatures are not that bad here. I like the fact that it snows, then goes away. You can not have it all, you move down south you probably would not be able to handle the hot, humid, long summers.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I love Maryland weather compared to where I am from in norther NY. Everyones weather is messed up as far as snowing late in the season. I actually think the temperatures are not that bad here. I like the fact that it snows, then goes away. You can not have it all, you move down south you probably would not be able to handle the hot, humid, long summers.
Ever since I finished with high school (snow days), I started wishing there wasn't any snow at all.

I'd take a 95 degree humid day over a 40 degree day anytime. If I can find some shade and a cold drink I'm absolutely fine. Winter is just so depressing in Maryland. I honestly cannot believe its humanly possible to live someplace like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Michigan....or.....Minnesota. They say Minneapolis is the most livable city in the nation....guess they don't take the weather into account.

I definitely want to move south, at the very least someplace like southern Virginia or North Carolina. I will NEVER live anywhere north of Baltimore.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 PM

770 posts, read 3,458,932 times
When I graduated college I headed straight for the Carolinas...needless to say the ONLY thing I liked about it was the weather. I came to MD and love it here. So much to do! I don't know where you were this year but it was warm until right before Christmas. I think it was only really cold Dec-Feb. With a few pockets here and there. Good luck to whereever you decide to move. Just remember weather isn't everything

Old 06-12-2007, 06:24 PM

856 posts, read 2,162,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
I feel you. I think I have SAD during winters. Part of the reason I'm working on relocating to another climate (think Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona) but worth a try... Besides, I hate snow, and our congestion doesn't make traveling easy. not to mention the 10 extra lbs. I gain during those months
I lived in desert communities in both TX and AZ and I would get depressed from too much sunshine. I actually LOVE the variations in weather here. I love the rain, clouds and occasional snow. I love that I hardly have to use the AC here. I can always add more layers, but it is hard to keep removing clothing without making the neighbors scream

Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM

18 posts, read 80,783 times
I feel you. Winters can be hard.

I lived in Maryland for 5 yrs (Towson area). My hubby is born and bred there 38 yrs until we moved out west).

We now live on the Oregon Coast and we would both do anything to live back in Maryland. The weather is way better there than here on the coast. You get 4 defined seasons we get 2. You get an average of 42" rain per year we get an average of 75". You get beautiful fall color, we get barely any here on the coast. We rarely get snow and our summers temps hardly get past 70 degrees. Neither me or my husband have worn shorts since we left Maryland in August 2003. It constantly blows 30 mph on the beach all summer, and you can't swim in the ocean without a winter wetsuit, you will freeze.

We have pretty much complete cloud cover and/or rain for approx 9 months a year and it SUCKS !!!!! Which is why we have our house up for sale and wanting to moving back East. I would do anything for Maryland Winters versus Oregon Winters. I use to wear my sunglasses all the time in between storms in Maryland whereas here on the coast you're lucky if you get to wear your sunglasses for maybe June, definetly July and August & maybe September. Good Luck, I hope you feel better, maybe you should go tanning in the winter, it is supposed to help lift your spirits, that is what I am going to do if we end up here another winter.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Wow I'm surprised you can be "depressed" from too much sunshine. It seems everyone wants to move to Nevada, Arizona, or Florida for the sun.

And yeah Oregon and Washington State are too rainy for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or