Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM

102 posts, read 307,433 times

Advertisements

I received a letter from the Baltimore County PD today. It basically says because I didn't stop when the signal had turned red, I have to pay $75.

Well, I made a *right turn* after the signal had turned red. The attached photos don't show a "no turn on red" sign. So, why is it a violation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

363 posts, read 583,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
I received a letter from the Baltimore County PD today. It basically says because I didn't stop when the signal had turned red, I have to pay $75.

Well, I made a *right turn* after the signal had turned red. The attached photos don't show a "no turn on red" sign. So, why is it a violation?
...but did you come to a complete stop after the light turned red and before you made your right turn? If so, then take it to court, if you have that option.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM

102 posts, read 307,433 times
Quote:
but did you come to a complete stop after the light turned red and before you made your right turn?
I read the letter again and it says I didn't. I know that drivers must completely stop before making a right turn. How the heck can I prove that I did come to a complete stop?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 AM

363 posts, read 583,106 times
Do you have the option of going before a judge? As I said above, if you have that option, go to court, plead your case and hope the judge believes you. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
My daughter was driving my car and we received the same letter. She was making a right on red. When I saw the pictures, the brake lights were on and I assumed she made the stop and then turned. However, there was an option to go to a website and see the actual footage of the infraction. Well, needless to say, she had to give me $75. She never came to a complete stop. Check you letter and see if it states a website on it to review the footage.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Red light cameras are great for those who drive drunk. Which would you rather have, a huge fine and jail time because an officer saw you, or a $75 no-points fee because only a camera saw you?

I hate red light cameras and the mentality behind them, as it's not about actual safety, but about the appearance of safety while making a lot of money off of ordinary citizens who aren't actually being unsafe, like the OP.

there's a world of safety difference between someone who slows to almost a stop and makes a right turn (as it shows awarentess of the intersection and other traffic), and someone just blowing through a stop because they didn't see it/know it was there.

It's been proven that lengthening the yellow light duration one second and adding a one second all red reduceds the amount of red light urunning by 85-90% AND reduces accidents of all kinds by an even greater amount (because you aren't turning a handful of t-bone accidetns into a huge number of rear end accidents).

Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Are the red light cameras video cameras? I guess I had thought they just took a bunch of still photos (and if so it'd be tough to prove coming to a complete stop for a right on red).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland