Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
South Carolina sounds like a wonderful place. My sister did her graduate work there in oceanography. I haven't visited it yet, but I need to look at it closer. The slower lifestyle sounds appealing, and it sounds like the South Carolina government doesn't doesn't knock you down and put a jack boot on your neck, while they pick your pockets clean, like some other states I know of.
Yeah but South Carolina doesn't have any High Paying Jobs......

Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM

44 posts, read 196,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac View Post
may I Add More:

If You Live The Md Area Surrounding Washington, Dc, Your Town/county Has No Identity Of Its Own As It Is Overwhelmed By The Larger Dc Events, Dc Tv News, Dc Sports And Dc Newspapers. Your Identity Is Usually Lumped In With Northern Virginia And Dc.

Because Dc Is Headquarters For Many Government Agencies, People Come To Live In The Maryland Commuting Areas Not Because They Want To Live In The Area But For A Promoton/bigger Paycheck Than They Were Making In Field Offices. Many Lof Those Long-time Feds Leave During The Holidays To "go Home" (use Or Lose) And Few Stay In The Area After They Retire. It's A Very Transient Area.

You Who Live In Montgomery County And Prince Georges County, How Many Of You Root For The Washington Redskins Over The Ravens? Do You Get Both The Dc And Baltimore Versions Of Abc, Nbc, Fox And Cbs With Your Cable Company? How Many Who Live In Maryland Actually Watch The Maryland Channels, Especially For News? What Radio Station Do You Listen To, A Dc Station Or A Maryland Station? Do You Read A Dc Newspaper Or A Maryland Newspaper?

I Lived In Crofton (near Bowie) For 12 Years And I Forgot About It The Day I Left. It Wasn't An Awful Place. It Was Just Nothing.
Fyi, I'm Not Sure If That Was Sarcasm Or If You Were Actually Being Serious I Hope Not Because I Don't Know Of Anyone Outside Of Baltimore Who Gets Baltimore Stations. I'm Not A Football Fan So I Don't Root For Anybody And As Much As I Love Basketball I Was Rooting For Cleveland To Knock The Breaks Off Of The Wizards. I Mean The Things You Speak Of, Imo Aren't Of Importance. Clearly The Small Time Papers Various Counties In Md Produce Don't Hold A Candle To The Post, That Goes Without Saying. Dc/md/va Is The Greater Washington Metro Area. We're Basically All One But Can Stand Alone. When I Speak Of Moving Away From This Area I Mean The Metro Area As A Whole. All Three Are To Expensive For Me To Make A Comfortable Stay And Thats My Primary Reason. Who Gives Cares If I Live In Md And Root For Georgetown Over Umdcp. Thats Called Prference, Forming An Opinion Based On What I Deem Proper. Jmo

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-05-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: Watch your language.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrulez View Post
I will not question anything which Judge Terror has to say. His assessment of this area is fairly accurate. To be honest, I believe it is more of a east coast / proximity to New York City thing. The problems described are not just present here in Maryland.

I am counting the days til I can move away from this repressive, self-righteous, idiocracy. Never in my life have I encountered a larger collection of simple-minded folks who look for power and prestiege over character and content. Yes the roads here are congested and it feeds road rage. Road congestion also leads to bad driving skills, which are prominently displayed daily between 0700 - 0930 and 1630 - 1830.

Yes the taxes are high and the return is low. You would figure that an area which taxes you to death would at least be able to hire a competent police force. This area is horribly expensive and has priced most young people right out of the housing market. That's a highly effective way to help ensure newly minted college graduates avoid this area like herpes. And yes, the area between DC and Baltimore is filled with elitists, gold-diggers, and power-hungry facists. Welcome to Maryland!
That sounds just like my area in Charlotte. Where can you go to avoid this sort of thing? My understanding is that, while there are plenty of people like that in and around DC, there are plenty of other people around too so you can more or less ignore them. That was (almost) my experience in New York too (though I had to stop myself from reading the New York Times, which just exists to tell you that you're not rich enough or hip enough or smart enough for them. And they wonder why their circulation is down? Hmm).

Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Wow it looks like the Maryland Hating Southern Good Ol' Boy Trolls are back at resurecting old Anti-Maryland Theads. I have said before and I will continue to say that any Negative BS that is biasly opinionated against Maryland, PG County, and Baltimore can very well be said about Most Places in Virginia, the Carolina's, and Georgia especially when it comes to Crime, Corruption, and Racism. At least Maryland is Multi-Ethnic Diverse in which can't be said about Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia. Either the people that are Bad Mouthing the Sate of Maryland have Never Reside and Pay Taxes in Maryland or are Mentaly Delayed when it comes to voting for Maryland State Politicians that will accomplish the goals of impropving the quality of life in Maryland to their Expectations.........
I can agree with most of this. Doesn't mean there aren't things to complain about, but the other places you mentioned have most of the same problems much worse, plus a host of problems of their own.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic_but_lovable View Post
I Was Born And Raised Here And Feel Like A Damn Outside Looking In. Honestly I Think Its More Of Your Personality Moreso Than Anything. Alot Of People Here Men And Women Both Have Uptight Prudish Nose Stuck Up In The Air Attitudes And They're Flat Out Rude. I'm Friendly By Nature, Here Its Almst Like A Curse, Lol... I Speak Good Morning And Get Looked Up And Down With Disgust On A Day To Day Basis But If You Let Them Break You They Will, So All Of Their Ignorant And Rude Ways Roll Off My Back.. I Want Out Desperately But All Of My Family Is Here, Well Majority Anyway. I'm Looking At Nc Though, Its Not To Far And Alot Cheaper To Live. Everything Is Going Up But The Damn Wags, Can I Catch A Break One Of These Days
I'm in the same scenario as you. I've lived in Maryland for over a decade but have never felt like I belonged, much less welcomed, in this state. I'm currently am going to the state college and it consists of nearly every aspect about Maryland:
-The snooty and pretentious attitudes of the elite and even the middle class who are in MoCo and other middle class places. I guess it's why many New Yorkers and Jerseyians, particularly w/ the same attitudes, tend to love the state and especially the college. I don't mind one owning the hippest clothes and fancy cars, but when it's used as a standard of determining worthyness of an individual, that's when it goes too far (and that's just one of Maryland's measuring sticks). The worst thing about it is that many of these prep tWerps become yuppies invade DC, Arlington, and Alexandria after college.
-The rude and invasive people who just give attitudes without reason and caution. Whether it's walking down the street or trying to get customer service, rude stares and even expletive screams are the normal response. A lot of these individuals are very social, but only tend to socialize with individuals who are also as anal, arrogant, and pr*ckish as them. And yes, being a nice, decent, good-willed, and modest person (while not even being a push over and softie) is a liability in this state.
-The militant minorities. One of them are the blacks who revel in the negative stereotypes, shun anything and everyone (esp. those in their own race) who want to make something out of themselves, and give fuel for others to stereotype all blacks. The other minorities are either sticking within their own race or are so desperate to be accepted by the white population (this particularly involves minority girls including black girls who want to assimilate) they madly discriminate against blacks in order to get in.
-The native whites. Some of them appear nice but are cliquish, mean, rude, and racist underneath. (This covert racist attitude can be said about many of the transplant whites who move here AND LIKE THE STATE). These are the same people who try to sell the "diversity" factor of MD, but in this state, it's just many races living in their own enclaves. And the only ones who will probably be accepted by the Maryland masses are Asians (oriental and Indian).

Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
-The native whites. Some of them appear nice but are cliquish, mean, rude, and racist underneath. (This covert racist attitude can be said about many of the transplant whites who move here AND LIKE THE STATE). These are the same people who try to sell the "diversity" factor of MD, but in this state, it's just many races living in their own enclaves. And the only ones who will probably be accepted by the Maryland masses are Asians (oriental and Indian).
I grew up in NoVA, and when I moved to New York I noticed people sticking to their own race or enclave a lot more there than in NoVa. For all it's "melting pot" reputation, people try pretty hard not to mix up there. Is Maryland really more like New York than Virginia in that regard? I'm not sure there's anywhere in the country where people really mix, but some places are worse than others on that point.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I grew up in NoVA, and when I moved to New York I noticed people sticking to their own race or enclave a lot more there than in NoVa. For all it's "melting pot" reputation, people try pretty hard not to mix up there. Is Maryland really more like New York than Virginia in that regard? I'm not sure there's anywhere in the country where people really mix, but some places are worse than others on that point.
I would say its like that. Although there are a few from "model minorities" that could easily assimilate (South Indians, Asians, Middle Easterners to an extent) if they wanted to, most people in Maryland tend to stick within their own racial enclaves. You actually brought up Northern Virginia, where even though it's nearby, it's a lot more racially integrated and harmonious. This especially applies to the younger generation.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Quote:
You actually brought up Northern Virginia, where even though it's nearby, it's a lot more racially integrated and harmonious. This especially applies to the younger generation.
IMO, I would have to respectfully disagree with this. My roommate (he's black, and I'm Indian) and I have been to several parties in NoVA where it was not uncommon for them to greet him with the N word and call me "brown man". Hardly what I would call "harmonious". However; those are just my experiences.

Quote:
-The snooty and pretentious attitudes of the elite and even the middle class who are in MoCo and other middle class places. I guess it's why many New Yorkers and Jerseyians, particularly w/ the same attitudes, tend to love the state and especially the college. I don't mind one owning the hippest clothes and fancy cars, but when it's used as a standard of determining worthyness of an individual, that's when it goes too far (and that's just one of Maryland's measuring sticks). The worst thing about it is that many of these prep tWerps become yuppies invade DC, Arlington, and Alexandria after college.
This is definately true. However; I've also noticed the same from people who went to Georgetown, GW, William and Mary and of course UVA. Personally, I think it's a whole big fish, little pond atmosphere here which makes these type-A personalities thrive.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
No, all you have to do is read the news about Virginia's Prince William and Loudon Counties efforts to Force Immigrants to Leave the State by allowing the authorities to racially profile them, they don't have that type of Law in Maryland..........

Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 PM

This is the correct version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I would say its not like that. Although there are a few from "model minorities" that could easily assimilate (South Indians, Asians, Middle Easterners to an extent) if they wanted to, most people in Virginia tend to stick within their own racial enclaves. You actually brought up Northern Virginia, where even though it's nearby DC/MD, it's a lot more racially segragated and snobbish. This especially applies to the younger and older generation.
Plus There are Law Markers trying to make state laws to push Immigrants out of the state of Virginia through Racial/Immigration Profiling......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland