Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 AM

311 posts, read 1,382,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm not basing my opinion of the state on one thread, I'm basing it on numerous similar threads, and more importantly, my own personal experience after having lived here for seven years.

Of course whether or not an individual likes a state or not is a subjective matter of personal preference, but no amount of optimism is going to gloss over the many objective problems with, if not the whole state, then the vast majority of, and certainly within its most populated areas, which by extension are where the majority of people live and work.

The state is completely overpopulated and traffic is quickly approaching the worst congestion in the country. There's been little to no investment in additional infrastructure and none coming besides the ICC, which will be far too little and far too late when and if it does arrive. Even the few more 'idyllic' regions of the state, like western Maryland and the Eastern Shore, are increasingly inaccessable because of increasing congestion on the main arteries to them; such as a four hour ride heading westward to Frederick on I-270 on a Saturday night due to sheer congestion. How long were people stuck in traffic on Route 50, people who were doing nothing more sinister than trying to enjoy their Labor Day weekend? Even simple things like vacationing in the few ideal areas the state has to offer are becoming increasingly difficult.

Jobs are concentrated in select areas, which in turn makes housing anywhere close to those areas utterly unaffordable. If you're not already independently wealthy before moving here, your options are a long and increasingly untenable commute from some rural enclave, or relegating yourself to crime-infested neighborhoods that boast some of the worst crime rates in the country, poor schools and non-existent city and local services while nonetheless paying exorbitant property taxes. I could go on, but I'd merely be repeating what's already been said in the now 20+ pages of this thread.

These aren't problems that are merely "just in my head", they're endemic and widely discussed not only on this message board, but in neighborhoods, in newspapers and on T.V. And what's been done to address them...anything, anything at all?

It was perhaps unfair of me to deride the natives of the state, and for that I do apologize. But, the way I see it, there are numerous objective problems with this state that completely outweight any subjective benefits I can personally see. Since my job *does* require me to stay here, I'm only all too eager for some glimmer of hope, some overlooked little ideal town or burg that I can eagerly call home, in which I can live and enjoy being a new Marylander. But after seven years of looking, it hasn't happened, and I have no reason to expect that it will.

Problem is, I'm hardly the only one...
So do you like Maryland? LOL!

Old 10-05-2008, 01:22 PM

125 posts, read 434,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar4321869 View Post
Believe me, I had my bags packed and ready to go to Carolina. Then City-Data relayed gators in brackish waters, abundancy of black widows, and cockroaches big enough to put saddles on. I quietly unpacked and put my Shih Tzu's doggie bed away.
Wow, you changed moving plans, and your interest in moving to a new area, simply because you heard of bugs and other wildlife you found unpleasant. You base the course of your life on that?

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM

71 posts, read 261,591 times
I hate Md, I have lived here in southern Md for 28 years. I have been robbed numerous times, Shot at, Attempted carjackings and Fights instigated on me by strangers for no reason. My brother and father have had the almost same problems. I own a 2 bedroom townhouse that cost me over 200K, my sister paid over $400k. The schools are not very good unless your are fortunate to live in a high dollar community - Montomery Co. The traffic is always bad, no one knows how to drive, follow road signs or merge. The DC govt has pushed out a lot of low income housing by building a baseball stadium. Less crime in SE DC - more crime in Md, Thanks Mayor. There is nothing nice about traveling to the beach, Ocean City is disgusting, overpriced, and traffic is horrible. The mountains are great to see, enjoy the 100mph beltway cruise then the death tour up 270. I have been all around the state and will not miss anything about it when I move far away from here. I dont recommend Md to anyone that doesnt already have money and a gun. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM

40 posts, read 153,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
You also have a lot of backwards, right wing, religous nutjob wackos there who want everybody to look and pry to the same bible as they do.
I would never move down south, I wish we could simply annexy their beaches and the rest could suceede.
I get a kick out of southerners telling me about patriotism, yeh, I suppose wearing the rebel flag and leaving the country due to opposition of racist slavery IS really American.

If you have a brain, you AVOID the bible belt aka right wing nutjobs.
As a "northern girl" who has actually lived in Southern areas I'm afraid I will have to agree with this..

Old 10-10-2008, 03:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,691,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Terror View Post
1. High Cost of Living

2. Maryland has one of the highest population density in the United States with 542 people per square mile.

3. Rude People.

4. Congested Roads which fuels Road Rage.

5. There's no great in-state rivalry for College Football. (We're missing out from such matchups other states have like Texas vs. Texas A & M, Alabama vs. Auburn, South Carolina vs. Clemson, and many more.)

6. Too many D.C. Elites lives in Maryland. They are disconnected from reality.

7. High Taxes

8. High rate of Crime in Baltimore City and Prince George's County, enough said.

9. The Tyranny of Montgomery County where they regulate everything to death. (No smoking in any of restaurants, bars, despite it is a private establishment and should be free from government intrusion)

10. One Party Machine in the State where they control virtually everything in the State.

If you live in the State of Maryland and you have a brain. Get out! Now I'm living in the American South, in the Great State of South Carolina.

Oh my, what a change, from MD to SC, you crossed the Dixie Line....Bless your heart.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,046 times
Maryland already lies south of the Mason-Dixon line. As to Judge Terror's probs with MD, he/she would be a lot more credible if the particular political prejudices weren't thrown in there -- sounds like a real rightwinger to me, which means that he/she'd be pretty much out of the mainstream in Maryland, thank goodness (not to say that Bush-lovin', gun-totin' crackers don't live just about everywhere in the USA - though I do think that there's a rather high concentration of them in "da lan' ob cotton").

Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 AM

55 posts, read 141,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Terror View Post
1. High Cost of Living

2. Maryland has one of the highest population density in the United States with 542 people per square mile.

3. Rude People.

4. Congested Roads which fuels Road Rage.

5. There's no great in-state rivalry for College Football. (We're missing out from such matchups other states have like Texas vs. Texas A & M, Alabama vs. Auburn, South Carolina vs. Clemson, and many more.)

6. Too many D.C. Elites lives in Maryland. They are disconnected from reality.

7. High Taxes

8. High rate of Crime in Baltimore City and Prince George's County, enough said.

9. The Tyranny of Montgomery County where they regulate everything to death. (No smoking in any of restaurants, bars, despite it is a private establishment and should be free from government intrusion)

10. One Party Machine in the State where they control virtually everything in the State.

If you live in the State of Maryland and you have a brain. Get out! Now I'm living in the American South, in the Great State of South Carolina.
Are you serious??? I live in SC and I cant wait to get out! There is nothing here!! The only decent places are probably Charleston or Greenville!! Clemson vs. SC??? Who gives a crap!! You have rude people here and here there is NO smoking at any restaurants or bars, there is road rage and bad drivers. Taxes are decent. If anybody has a brain in SC they need to get out!! I dont know why you moved here!! Sure its cheaper than Maryland, but there is nothing great about SC.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-16-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: please watch your language

Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 32,779 times
Default Thanks for the insights

I've been trying to decide where I want to move next year, and have been considering Maryland. After reading all of this I've realized Maryland probably isn't the place for me. I do appreciate everyone's opinions! As a teacher I can live pretty much anywhere, so it's really great to have help narrowing down the list.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM

45,025 posts, read 60,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachesci View Post
I've been trying to decide where I want to move next year, and have been considering Maryland. After reading all of this I've realized Maryland probably isn't the place for me. I do appreciate everyone's opinions! As a teacher I can live pretty much anywhere, so it's really great to have help narrowing down the list.
You know it depends on the part of MD. Most of these posts are dealing with Montgomery/PG Counties. There are 20+ other ones. Calvert County is one, the Eastern Shore counties are rural as are really most of the other areas although many are suburbanizing at faster or slower rates, if that's your thing. The state needs teachers of Math, Science, Foreign Languages, Special Ed. It will need more in the next few years since a tidal wave of retirements is coming.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:18 PM

30 posts, read 183,467 times
Default To Judge Terror With Love

South Carolina is a fine state. Most folks I met from there are pleasant and polite enough not to spout off like our Pal, Judge Terror. Why does JT extol the virtues of South Carolina at Maryland’s expense? JT, if you hate MD so much, why do spend time on this Maryland Forum?

Originally Posted by Judge Terror's reasons why he left MD:
  • High Cost of Living - True. Most North East states & CA fall into this description.
  • Maryland has one of the highest population density in the United States with 542 people per square mile. - According to recent stats, MD is ranked 6th in this category.
  • Rude People. – Subjective. Find me a state without these types.
  • Congested Roads which fuels Road Rage. – Subjective. Find me a state without this problem.
  • There's no great in-state rivalry for College Football. (We're missing out from such matchups other states have like Texas vs. Texas A & M, Alabama vs. Auburn, South Carolina vs. Clemson, and many more.) - MD does have some major college football – UMD and Navy. While there may be no great in state rivalries, these teams are just a few of MD’s college teams that play top talent. Thus, MD residents still get to view major “matchups” with other out of state teams. Maryland also has a pro Football team and Baseball team and is a reasonable drive to several other states with Pro Football Teams and College Teams.

6. Too many D.C. Elites lives in Maryland. They are disconnected from reality. – Subjective. Just who are you talking about? “D.C. Elites” needs to be defined. What would your criteria be? You can not possibly include the scores of military and civilian government employees in this generalization. “D.C. Elites” would probably be a very small group that lives in either Montgomery, Howard, Carroll or PG County.

7. High Taxes – Per CNN Money 2005 statistics, Maryland, Indiana, Kentucky and California are ranked 17th – 20th respectively, each at 10.30% State/Local Taxes as % or per capita income. South Carolina is 33rd at 9.7%. Not such a vast difference.

8. High rate of Crime in Baltimore City and Prince George's County, enough said. – Correct. Most of Maryland has a far more pedestrian crime rate than those areas. Does South Carolina have any high crime areas, or high poverty areas?

9. The Tyranny of Montgomery County where they regulate everything to death. (No smoking in any of restaurants, bars, despite it is a private establishment and should be free from government intrusion) - Secondary smoke is horrible. I hate having my meal ruined by someone smoking next to me. Get to a smoker's lounge or go outside. Learn to control your nicotine (drug) urge. Are you saying there should be no government “intrusion,” ie. Regulations in private establishments/businesses? How is the air on Planet Crackpot JT? Thankfully, most everyone in the U.S. disagrees with you. For starters, restaurants and other businesses, need to be subject to building codes, fire codes, employment laws, you get the point. There are so many regulations that make private businesses safer to serve the public’s best interest. Look at recent problems with the mortgage and finance industry. Do you these private establishments gave a rat’s ass about Joe Public and his retirement account, home or job? We will likely see some much needed regulations creep into these old boy professions.

10. One Party Machine in the State where they control virtually everything in the State. – Some truth to this.

If you live in the State of Maryland and you have a brain. Get out! Now I'm living in the American South, in the Great State of South Carolina. – Why would the residents of the Great State of South Carolina find you an asset and not an ass in their state?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland