Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM

30 posts, read 88,665 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We live near Alexandria, VA and we were planning to spend a weekend in Ocean City at the beach and we would like to take our dog with us so he can also enjoy the beach. However, a friend just told us that they don't allow dogs there.

Do you guys have more information about it? If they don't allow dogs, do you know of any other beaches where they do?

Thanks a lot
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM

160 posts, read 801,525 times
You might find this site helpful:

DogFriendly.com's Travel Guide: Ocean City Dog Park

Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Thanks.
yeah, there it says that no dogs are allowed after May 1st...

If somebody knows about any beach please let me know!
thanks a lot

Old 06-03-2010, 06:37 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I'd seriously think twice about taking my dog to the beach during the summer. The sand is incredibly hot, not a lot of shade, etc. I take mine down to Ocean City in the off season to let them play (before May 1). Everybody is much more comfortable.

That being said, Assateague Island allows pets in very specific areas. Here's a link to the website Assateague Island National Seashore - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service) which states:

May I bring my pet to Assateague?
Pets are permitted in the Maryland portion of the National Seashore. All pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
Pets are completely prohibited in the following areas:
-all backcountry campsites
-nature trails
-lifeguard-protected beach
-the State Park
-north of the State Park to the Ocean City inlet
-the entire Virginia portion of Assateague Island*

Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for your reply. That's very useful information!

Yes, the idea would be to be with our dog in the evenings, when the sun is going down and it's not too hot.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'd seriously think twice about taking my dog to the beach during the summer. The sand is incredibly hot, not a lot of shade, etc. I take mine down to Ocean City in the off season to let them play (before May 1). Everybody is much more comfortable.

That being said, Assateague Island allows pets in very specific areas. Here's a link to the website Assateague Island National Seashore - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service) which states:

May I bring my pet to Assateague?
Pets are permitted in the Maryland portion of the National Seashore. All pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times.
Pets are completely prohibited in the following areas:
-all backcountry campsites
-nature trails
-lifeguard-protected beach
-the State Park
-north of the State Park to the Ocean City inlet
-the entire Virginia portion of Assateague Island*

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlit View Post
Hi all,

We live near Alexandria, VA and we were planning to spend a weekend in Ocean City at the beach and we would like to take our dog with us so he can also enjoy the beach. However, a friend just told us that they don't allow dogs there.

Do you guys have more information about it? If they don't allow dogs, do you know of any other beaches where they do?

Thanks a lot
We used to take our dog to Assateague Island which is just a few minutes south of OC.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
We used to take our dog to Assateague Island which is just a few minutes south of OC.

While camping with three dogs on Assateaque, it's important to remember that the ponies enter the campground. At one point, it created some chaos for me personally. I prefer to go in the off-season when they can run with cooler weather and not so many people.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
It's a bit further than Ocean City, but Cape May in New Jersey has a dog friendly beach year-round. We spent a weekend in May up there. The dog beach is a couple miles from the heart of the city, but it was really nice, and my dog had a blast playing in the water You do have to have your dog leashed the whole time though. (It says 6 foot flat leash, but the beach was empty in May, so we put her on a flexi leash)

There is also a really nice dog friendly hotel (Madison Avenue Beach Club) walking distance from main stretch of town, and a dog friendly restaurant where Lucy was welcome to lie under our table on the shaded patio

You can take the Lewes-Cape May ferry to get over if you don't want to deal with NJ traffic. It's dog friendly too!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM

Thanks a lot!! That's what I was really looking for. I appreciate all that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It's a bit further than Ocean City, but Cape May in New Jersey has a dog friendly beach year-round. We spent a weekend in May up there. The dog beach is a couple miles from the heart of the city, but it was really nice, and my dog had a blast playing in the water You do have to have your dog leashed the whole time though. (It says 6 foot flat leash, but the beach was empty in May, so we put her on a flexi leash)

There is also a really nice dog friendly hotel (Madison Avenue Beach Club) walking distance from main stretch of town, and a dog friendly restaurant where Lucy was welcome to lie under our table on the shaded patio

You can take the Lewes-Cape May ferry to get over if you don't want to deal with NJ traffic. It's dog friendly too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland