Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 PM

406 posts, read 495,562 times

Advertisements

Barney Frank is enough to move

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
And there are wierd people/places in every state...
Agree Casey, but they are looked upon as such, not put in charge of school systems, state agencies, or nominated to court vacancies.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I don't think anyone (anyone in touch with reality, anyway) is going to claim that MA is not a very blue state overall. However, anyone who has lived here knows that the state's political structure puts quite a bit of emphasis on local government. Despite the state's general leanings, many towns have more moderate politics, and this is reflected in the policies within those towns.
I think you're correct overall that local cities and towns have a degree of control, but that's essentially true in many states. They also lack much of the control that other states vest in their municipalities, such as local option taxes and some zoning control.

Some of that local control has been a contributing factor to some of the wackiness we experienced while living here. Calling a Christmas tree a "winter holiday tree" which happened at my children's elementary school, and the removal of holiday lights from a Berkshire town's streets are just small examples around the holidays of political correctness run amuck.

MA is a very liberal state overall, but does have its moments of sanity. Those moments of sanity get overshadowed many times by the wackiness. Other states have wackiness too, but maybe it's because I lived in MA for so long that I'm so sensitive to it. Characters like Kerry, Kennedy, Frank, Dukakis, Tip O'Neill, et al, were all from MA and also on the national political stage. People in other parts of the country think the state is a bit of a caricature. Things like this condom plan don't help to change their minds.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Or you could just ignore the political bullcrap like I do, and live life happily. Living your life following all the politics, in ANY state, and no matter where you go it will be miserable. I have been in FL for 16 years now, lots of political crap, I don't really care though. How else did the moron Bush remain president for a second term, or even get there to begin with? Yeah little brother Jeb helped with that. It's funny how he was "President" for 2 terms, cheated his way in, then little Jeb left office after he was given a second term... Strange huh? My getting out of here is due to weather, yeah, it sucks here. We have a wuss for a governor, city selectman stealing from people, terrible schools, etc. etc. etc..... NO state is perfect, NONE of them.....

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Only Vermont is smarter:
Smartest State 2006-2007

Massachusetts was ranked 2nd in a list of the best public school systems in the country-only Connecticut was higher.

Massachusetts science classes are considered among the best courses in the world. Students here regularly outpace their European and Asian counterparts.

High school graduation has nothing to do with it. Students here have to pass the MCAS test to graduate. When they do, their public education has served them quite well. I went to school with people from outside of MA, and they were not at all prepared for college exams and essays. But the kids from Mass always excelled.

But it's not like we're Texas or any place like that, re-writing history because we feel like it.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
Barney Frank is enough to move
Than Jan Brewer is enough to reconsider Arizona's statehood status.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:56 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
No kidding, at least you don't have Jan. The least of our worries would be condoms at school. lol We are a national embarrassment. Plus, it's getting scary because we really do have a cartel problem and now with this stupid law we have decided to take it on all alone. Not a bright one old Jan.

God, don't let the mid west mindset influence MA. There is enough people who ignore "aids" and teen pregnancies in the country, we don't need another.
Too bad no kid will ask the nurse for a condom, if they did it would make one less mistake in the sea of mistakes kids make. They will already feel bad about having sex at a young age, lets not compound the problem by having them get a sexually transmitted disease or pregnant. The threat of that has obviously not worked in the past, it's time to move with the times and pass the weenie seat belt law. lol

Or you can come out to the wild west and our sheriff will just "shoot it off". ha ha

Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM

^Mass has the 7th lowest teen preg. rate. We must be doing something right.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Only Vermont is smarter:
Smartest State 2006-2007

Massachusetts was ranked 2nd in a list of the best public school systems in the country-only Connecticut was higher.

Massachusetts science classes are considered among the best courses in the world. Students here regularly outpace their European and Asian counterparts.

High school graduation has nothing to do with it. Students here have to pass the MCAS test to graduate. When they do, their public education has served them quite well. I went to school with people from outside of MA, and they were not at all prepared for college exams and essays. But the kids from Mass always excelled.
I question the validity of the information in the link you cited. Expenditure per pupil and teacher salary don't equate to students being "smarter" and many of the criteria cited are dubious to support your assertion.

I can tell you from first hand experience, as a parent of three school aged children in a MA school system for years, that the schools they transferred to here in GA are better funded, and better ranked by more mainstream sites such as GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community than the ones they came from in MA. If you live in Weston or Wellesley, then you have something to crow about, but not all towns have the same quality, and MA does not allow local option taxes or have county based systems that allow for better use of resources.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:33 PM

^good thing you left then. My high school received an 8/10 rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts