Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times

Advertisements

Massachusetts students far exceed other students throughout the country. So fine, you happened to move to a decent Georgian zip code, kudos to you and your children. But statistically speaking, any Mass school would have prepared them better for the real world and college.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Only Vermont is smarter:
Smartest State 2006-2007

Massachusetts was ranked 2nd in a list of the best public school systems in the country-only Connecticut was higher.

Massachusetts science classes are considered among the best courses in the world. Students here regularly outpace their European and Asian counterparts.

High school graduation has nothing to do with it. Students here have to pass the MCAS test to graduate. When they do, their public education has served them quite well. I went to school with people from outside of MA, and they were not at all prepared for college exams and essays. But the kids from Mass always excelled.

But it's not like we're Texas or any place like that, re-writing history because we feel like it.
I wouldn't quite blame Texas for "re-writing" history. It has been the liberals who refuse to put out an accurate history book...and it is the left-leaning who control most of the schools. If you read history at all, you will realize all the mistakes and important factors left out of the history books that are used in the school system. I'm a big history buff, but the way history is taught and presented in the school is awful.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM

^haha, oh okay. Well tell that to Tommy Jefferson. Those dang liberals, yup. Thank God you left I suppose.

Yeah, because Ronald Regan was left out, or the Conservative movement, or how Christian America really is, or how that spat between the states was Northern aggression. Please. This is total bs, and a history buff ought to understand that.

This isn't about Tejas anyway.

Tejanos will now learn about bs things, and have a bs understanding of the country they seem to hate so much.

I'll take my liberal New England education anyday.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Massachusetts students far exceed other students throughout the country. So fine, you happened to move to a decent Georgian zip code, kudos to you and your children. But statistically speaking, any Mass school would have prepared them better for the real world and college.
I keep hearing that mantra, but where are the objective statistics on a town by town basis? What are you using to make that comparison? Again, sure...well to do towns like Weston or Wellesley or Brookline will have great schools to rival the best private schools. Does Lawrence or Methuen or Brockton? Does Taunton or New Bedford? Does Worcester or Springfield? Does Boston? Do the smaller towns in western MA?

The population centers of the state do not have such hot schools, and my children went to a decent system, but nothing to make a big deal about. We lived in a smaller city in central MA, with middle class residents and what I would consider average schools.

This tendency to lump the entire state together just because Needham or Concord have great schools is crap. The more affluent suburban towns near Boston have excellent schools and very high taxes to pay for them. They are not the whole state. There are towns outside of 128 for those that weren't aware.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM

I actually didn't think it was so difficult to understand the strength of Massachusetts' schools, on a whole compared to the other 49 school systems. I'm talking about the state as whole, not a town by town, city by city comparison.

States vary widely on pass, fail marks - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com

check out figure 1, from 2009.
State Standards Rising in Reading but Not in Math : Education Next
Georgia's is way at the bottom...hmmm.

MA spending per pupil, per school district.
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/state_report/ppx.aspx
http://empirezone.blogs.nytimes.com/...ing-in-the-us/
MA spends $3,000 more per student than GA...and we have the results to prove it...see the first two links.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I wouldn't quite blame Texas for "re-writing" history. It has been the liberals who refuse to put out an accurate history book...and it is the left-leaning who control most of the schools. If you read history at all, you will realize all the mistakes and important factors left out of the history books that are used in the school system. I'm a big history buff, but the way history is taught and presented in the school is awful.
For a bunch of years now, I've known that American society is really living in two parallel universes that somehow co-exist within one.

Thank you for proving my point to more and more people.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Let's end the thread, ok?

Comparisons between states belong in the City vs. City forum. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts